注目の話題
20代のお姉さん
🍀語りあかそうの里🍀1️⃣0️⃣
店員が水分補給してたら怒りますか?

English and so on

レス500 HIT数 11972 あ+ あ-

燻し銀三( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )
20/07/17 21:10(更新日時)

【Difference in the life habit has prevented us from communicating】《Its key word is a straw》

If trying to say tatami in a Japanese-style room in English I find it hard fairly. We can just say it's a straw mat it looks like primitive somehow. Some people say it's a tatami floor as it is but even if it's the tatami of floor it doesn't ring a bell somehow.If wanting to say on its space like 六畳間 we're forced to say it's a six-mat room.

Even if being advised to sit down in a place where there is neither sofa nor chair it's natural for the Western people to be confused. Then the tatami is grasped as a sense of the floor.

Speaking of the straw there is an idiom of the last straw. When being loaded on a camel on the back with full of goods,moreover one straw was loaded. Then all of the things were ruined. The idiom is originated from the episode that a small amount of things ruins all of the things. When feeling limited the idiom is also used metaphorically like the next.

It was the last straw or it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The one which is used on the roof is a thatcher and we call the roof the thachered roof.

When being in difficulty we feel like relying on a trifle thing. Then we say a drowning man will catch at a straw. Speaking of light yellow it's straw color. When indicating the color of the hair we use the phrase.

No.2390926 16/10/22 12:05(スレ作成日時)

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

No.101 18/01/02 14:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Speaking of 山 in Japanese,it reminds of us mountain,but it doesn't always mean that it's accepted.】《The keyword is mountain》

The place is the mountain to be sure,but to be exact the mountain is a place which is a rise in the land up ahead,and it doesn't burn,so the place which burns is the part of forest,so if a fire breaks out there,they call it a forest fire.

When getting over something hard,we the Japanese say ヤマを越す. They say it in English like the next,“We're over the hump”

When there is lots of things,they use the phrase,mountains of or a mountain of. When having a lot of works to do,they say,“I've got mountains of work to do.”

If saying,“Make a mountain out of a molehill”,it means exaggerating a trifle thing. Mountaineering means climbing a mountain. Activity of going for long walks in the country is called hiking.

There seems to be a phrase of bus hiking in Japan,but if saying “bus hiking”it doesn't make sense,for it's what is called a Japanese English.

No.102 18/01/02 21:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Speaking of 山 in Japanese,it reminds us of mountain,but it doesn't always mean that it makes sense in the Western countries】《Its keyword is mountain》

Conversation

A: How about a round of golf on Saturday? Don't tell me you've got too much of work again.

B: Sorry,John. I've got mountains of work to do. Tuesday is the deadline for Peter. I've got a report to finish and to translate and …

A: OK,maybe next time.

It is frequently said that there are lots of mountains in Japan,then using the mountain as an adjective,they say,“Japan is a mountainous country.” There is an English word of which meaning is close to the mountain,it's a wood. It means that an area of land that is covered with trees.

“We took a walk in the woods.” When using,they often adding the and adopt the plural,like the example,the woods.

【There is a way of saying of British style,fine weather. Can you understand their humor?】《Its keyword is rain》

Needless to say,rain falls from the sky. When saying,“It's raining”…

No.103 18/01/03 23:40
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is a way of say of English style,fine weather. Can you understand their humor?】《The keyword is rain》

When saying it's raining,roughly speaking, we can recognize its situation at once,though it's varied.

Instead of saying,it's raining,if saying,it's pouring,it means that it's raining heavily. If saying,it drizzling,it means that it's light rains with small drops. If saying it's sprinkling,it seems it's heavier than drizzling a little,I'm sure.though as for the expression I have little confidence.

If being ended up raining suddenly,they say,“I was caught in a shower.” If wanting to avoid a rain and to go somewhere like an eave,they say,“Let's take shelter over there.”

England is famous for lots of rain,so when raining,even if they hate it,they say a joke like the next,“Lovely English weather isn't it?”

Sleet is a mixture of rain and snow. Hail is small balls of ice. Snowstorm is blizzard. Storm is violent wind and heavy rain,when thunder is added,they call it thunderstorm.

No.104 18/01/04 00:20
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is a way of saying of English style,fine weather. Can you understand their humor?】《The keyword is rain》

There is a way of saying,“Let me take a rain check on that.” When being invited on something,it's an idiomatic expression of declining it. When games like baseball are discontinued,a ticket will be substituted for it. They call it a rain check.

Conversation

A: You look like a drown rat!

B: Yeah! I was caught in shower. The weather forecast said it'd be cloudy.

A: You can't always trust that. Fortunately I took my umbrella.

B: Next time I will. Get me a towel,will you?

A: Sure.

There is a way of saying in England,“April showers bring May flower.” It means literally that when raining April,it makes some flowers come out May.

【Difference between the nationality? When taking a photo in foreign countries,we should be careful】《The keyword is photograph》

It is said that no other nation frequently takes a photograph than the Japanese, it seems that we the Japanese take a …

No.105 18/01/04 00:56
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Difference between the nationality? When taking a photo in foreign countries,we should be careful of it.】《The keyword is photograph》

It seems that we the Japanese take a picture so often. It seems that whenever lots of the Japanese go abroad or we welcome the people in foreign countries,we always take a photograph.

The author of this book,英単語おもしろ事典,said like the next.“I've ever been to Italy,then my Italian friends told me that he had met a Japanese tourist who didn't have a camera with him for the first time,so I couldn't take out my camera from a suit case and returned to Japan.”

If the enthusiasm for taking a photo rises so much,we the Japanese tend to take a photograph for anything anywhere so much that we are forced to be frowned by the people in the foreign countries. As for a personal photograph,there seems to be the right to its portrait 肖像権,so we should refrain from taking a photograph for anybody.

Whie a picture is an American way of saying,a photograph an English.

No.106 18/01/07 08:20
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Difference between the nationality? When taking a photo in foreign countries,we should be careful of it】《The keyword is photograph》

When in conversation,thay call it a photo briefly. A photograph which is taken and in informal way is called a snapshot. Other photograph for the face which is attached to a passport or an identification card is a head and shoulders or a mug shot.The mug shot has also a meaning a wanted person’s photo from the police,so when using,we should be careful.

When its memory is so good,they seem to think as if it were taken with a picture,so they say the one who has a good memory,“He has a photographic.”,and if saying,“He has a good photographer.”it means that he is good at taking a photo.

Developing a film is done in a pharmacy both in the U.K.and U.S.A. After taking a picture,and going to the pharmacy with the photo for the developing and printing,its sales clerk asks,“Gloss,or Matt?” It means asking,“Is the photo finished with a gloss 光沢 one or not?”

No.107 18/01/07 13:36
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Difference between nationality? When taking a photo in foreign countries,we should be careful of it】《The keyword is photograph》

Conversation

A: I see Mark got a hundred percent again in the kanji test.

B: | know. I always seem to make mistakes. I'm doing my best, though.

A: You haven't got a photographic memory like Mark. He just looks at the page for a couple of minutes and he's got it.

B: Some people are lucky.

【Illegal parking is also a source of a worry even in the Western Countries】《The keyword is parking》

Parking in a big city is a source of worry whether in the East or IN the West. If saying in other phrase,“Parking is a headache in every city in the world.” If wanting to emphasize it,we have only to put “big” in front of the headache,big headache.If a ticket of the illegal parking is issued,then they say“I got a parking ticket.”

When trying to park in Japan,we try to do from the back as much as we can,but the foreign people often try to park from the front with ease.

No.108 18/01/07 14:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Illegal parking is also a source of a worry even in foreign countries】《Its keyword is parking》

An oncoming car sometimes comes across the center line,and it parks on the oppasite road in the U.K.,so we have to be careful of it.

The place where a car is parked is called a parking lot or parking zone in the U.S.A.and car park in the U.K. There is a vending machine for the parking ticket at the car park in the U.K. After putting the coin and buying the ticket,they put the ticket against the windshield on the car from inside.

The one who is in charge of the car park comes to see whether or not the parking ticket is bought,so without buying the ticket and showing the it like that,the one who is in charge of the car park regards it as illegal parking,and it'll be forced to be fined.

Conversation

A: John must be the unluckiest guy in the world!

B: Why? What happened?

A: He got another ticket!Two weeks ago he parke outside my house and got one.

No.109 18/01/09 20:37
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Illegal parking is also a source of worry in even foreign countries.】《The key word is parking.》

Conversation

A: Last Tuesday too,and now this morning.

B: You'd better tell him to take a taxi next time!

In general,as to the charge for parking,Britain and the United States are lower than Japanese,especially some places where parking on street is allowed on Sunday or late time at night,but being stolen belongings from the car frequently happens,we should be careful.

When parking and being away from the car.we must not put our baggage or anything valuable in the place where it is seen easily from outside. Needless to say,when being away from the car,we should make it a rule to shut the window and lock the car. I'm afraid that being stolen the car itself is more than Japan.

【The custom which we the Japanese never have. Let's look into what is called garage sale.】《The keyword is garage.》

The garage is also it is in English,but its pronunciation is different between the Britain …

No.110 18/01/14 11:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The custom with which we the Japanese have been familiar. Let's look int what is called garage sale】《The keyword is garage.》

The garage means also as it is in English,but its pronunciation is different between British and American. Our way of saying it is close to the one of the American.

In general,speaking of the garage,it has two meanings. The one is the one with its house,and the other is the place where a car is repaired. Many of them are with a gas station,so when saying it often means including the gas station

Lining up old furniture and small articles in a garage and selling them to the people in the neighborhood,or passerby with reasonable prices is called a garage sale.

Making use of second hand goods and using them again is rational from the economic point of view. As to the things of children,when they become bigger,they are useless.but trying to throw away,they tend to hesitate, Every house has those kinds of things.

Thus,while they have,they seldom use them,they…

No.111 18/01/14 11:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The custom with which we the Japanese have never been familiar. Let's look into what is called garage sale.】《The keyword is garage.》

Thus while they have,they seldom use them,they call the situation a white elephant.

The garage sale is called a boot sale in British. It comes from the boot is the back part of a car where baggages are put. Anytime,both of the phrases are same meaning with regard to the basic idea. They are the one which they take advantage of useless things so as to get rid of the useless rationally.

Conversation.

A: Mary is leaving for the States in June.

B: Great! I'm looking forward to her garage sale.

A: Me too! She says she's got all sorts of bargains. A sofa,a lamps,a hair drier…

B: And she said they're all like new.

A; I can hardly wait.

The place where fuel is supplied for a car is called a gas station in America,and petro station or filling station in British. Gas is an abbreviation of gasoline and petro is the one from petroleum. They use the …

No.112 18/02/04 11:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

『Continuation of the last response.』
Thay use contracted form of gas or petrol in their conversation in the West.

【As long as we know this,we won't get lost in the subway⁉️】《The keyword is train and subway.》

As for a means of transportation in Japanese railroad,while there are two kinds,汽車、電車,and we change its manner of speaking to suit the occasion,a word of train combines both of them in English. The word which is equivalent to the Japanese 電車,a tram or street car used to be for a long time ago,but the word seems to be adopted in the place where the street car runs. They seldom use it. Almost all of them seem to be the train.

The Underground Railroad is subway in the U.S.A.and tube in the U.K.,but a vehicle itself is called the train in both of the country. When waiting for a train in the subway and the train arrived they say“The train is pulling in.”and they don't say“The subway is pulling in.”

American subway isn't the vehicle but a general term for the Underground Railroad.

No.113 18/02/04 11:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

『Continuation of the last response.』
Thay use contracted form of gas or petrol in their conversation in the West.

【As long as we know this,we won't get lost in the subway⁉️】《The keyword is train and subway.》

As for a means of transportation in Japanese railroad,while there are two kinds,汽車、電車,and we change its manner of speaking to suit the occasion,a word of train combines both of them in English. The word which is equivalent to the Japanese 電車,a tram or street car used to be for a long time ago,but the word seems to be adopted in the place where the street car runs. They seldom use it. Almost all of them seem to be the train.

The Underground Railroad is subway in the U.S.A.and tube in the U.K.,but a vehicle itself is called the train in both of the country. When waiting for a train in the subway and the train arrived they say“The train is pulling in.”and they don't say“The subway is pulling in.”

American subway isn't the vehicle but a general term for the Underground Railroad.

No.114 18/02/04 11:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As long as we know this we won't get lost in the subway.】《The keyword is train and subway.》

On the other hand,speaking of subway in English,it means a pedestrian crossing,an underground crosswalk and if wanting to try to say the railroad below ground,it's the tube or underground.

Oh! I'm afraid that I may confuse the word of underground. In general,the word of the underground is the place under ground,but it's also used for the Underground Railroa,I'm sure.

A person who is in engaged in a job of collecting money from passengers or checking their tickets in the train is called a conductor in the U.S.A.,and a guard in the U.K.

They call a single vehicle a car or carriage. When there are some cars and wanting to get in the first car,they say,“Let's take the front car.”on the other hand,if wanting to get in the latter car,they say,“Let's take the rear car.” When a train arrives they use the phrase of pull in,but when it goes out the phrase of pull out is used.

No.115 18/02/10 18:47
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As long as we know we won't get lost in the subway.】《The keyword is train and subway.》

Conversation

A: What time did you say John’s train was due in?

B: Five fifteeen. Any minute now.

A: Oh,look at platform 2. There's a train pulling in.

B: No,that's going to Edinburgh. John’s train arrives at platform 4.

A: Are you sure? Look! John is waving from the window.

B: Sorry,dear.

British luxurious train which has a dining car is called a pullman. The one for dining or sleeping is called a dining car or sleeping car. In their conversation,they usually shorten them and they call each of them a dinner or sleeper. A vending machine for a ticket is called a ticket machine.

【There are sorts of pieces of paper which are used for a tickte,voucher or coupon. If using the right word in the right place,then we may be a decent English speaker.】《The keyword is ticket and coupon.》

In general,we eat food three times regularly a day. Each of three has each name,but when putting together…

No.116 18/02/11 08:06
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are sorts of pieces of paper which are used for a ticket,voucher,or coupon. If using right word in the right place,then we may be a decent English speaker.】《The keyword is ticket and coupon.》

…but when putting together,they call them a meal. We sometimes accept the meal in exchange for a ticket,then we call the ticket a meal ticket. When using the meal ticket figuratively,it means the staff in livelihood,or means in living,though the ways of saying are informal.

When saying,“I can't leave him,for he is my meal ticket. ”,it means that I'm forced to depend on him,for he's supported me.

The way of saying the meal ticket is a voucher in Britain,for example,when saying a luncheon voucher,it means a meal ticket for lunch.

If wanting to getting on a vehicle,they need a ticket. When buying it they need to say whether it's a one way or round trip. On the other hand,instead of them,the words of single or return are used for each phrase in Britain.

When buying the ticket for a …

No.117 18/02/11 08:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are sorts of pieces of paper which are used for a ticket,voucher or coupon. When using the right word in the right place,we may be a decent English speaker.】《The keyword is ticket and coupon.》

When buying the ticket for aboard,needless to say they have to distinguish between a grown-up and kid. Then an adult and child are used in the U.S.A. Contrary to it,nothing is added to the grown-up and the word of half is used for the kid in the U.K. For example,they say,“Three and three halves,single to Victoria,please.” in the U.K. It means one-way ticket to Victoria for three grown-ups and three children.

Conversation

A: How does Tom manage to afford such nice suits? All Saville Row,you know.

B: Mary’s his meal ticket. She is the daughter of a millionaire from Texas.

A: is she? No wonder.

B: She provides the basic income.

A: Lucky people.

There has been a system called a temporary license or what is called 若葉マーク in Japan,but ther is nothing which is equivalent to them in the…

No.118 18/02/17 02:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are sorts of pieces of paper which are used for a ticket,voucher,and coupon. When using the right word in the right place,we may be a decent English speaker.】《The keyword is ticket and coupon.》

A word which is equivalent to a card is a coupon,ticket,and voucher. We the Japanese frequently say coupon everyday life,it originates from the English. The word has been used in various areas like a complementary ticket,an exchange ticket for a gift,a ticket for an application,a meal ticket,or a coupon tickte 回数券.

Speaking of pools coupon in England,it means an application card for a bet in a football game. The one who bets on the football game is filling in the application card and takes part in the bet.

By the way,as for the last comment in this thread,I made a mistake,for I confused the comment in this chapter with other in the next chapter. I'm sorry for it. I should try not to make a mistake as much as possible,but no one is perfect,especially for me,for I'm afraid I'm asperger.

No.119 18/02/17 02:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【How different they are! The circumstance on a car in Japan,British,and America.】《The keyword is car and vehicle.》

Speaking of a car,almost everybody can recognize what it is,but as to a vehicle which is the general term for the car,there seem to be a lot of people who tear their hair out over the word. When pronouncing,it is tiresome a little. The h in the spelling isn't pronounced.

If saying,“No vehicles are allowed on this road.”,it means that the road is no thoroughfare for vehicle. While the Britis have used the word of motorcar even now,the American say either a car or automobile,and it's abbreviated to auto. For instance,they call a traffic accident on a car auto accident.

When going out in the car,they call it going for a drive. The one who steers the car is called a driver,and the other one who sats on the back seat and makes a request this way and that is called a back seat driver. The phrase is also used figuratively,and it means the one who meddle in others too…

No.120 18/02/17 04:21
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【How different they are! The circumstance on a car in Japan,British,and America.】《The keyword is car and vehicle.》

The backseat driver means that the one who meddles in others too much though its position isn't responsible for anything.

They call a driver a motorist in British. We the Japanese often use the word of what is called a paper driver,but when saying it to the Western people,it doesn't make a sense,so we should be careful of it. The English doesn't have any appropriate phrase which expresses the Japanese one,so they are forced to say like the next. “I got a driver’s license,but I've hardly ever driven since then.”

While the American say driver's license,the British driver's license.

Conversation

A: You know what John said?

B: About what?

A: About our new project.

B: No,what did he say?

A: He said we should postpone it.

B: Oh,he's poking his nose in again.

A: Yes,he is a typical back seat driver.

We the Japanese have system what is called a temporary driver's …

No.121 18/02/24 08:03
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【How different we are! The circumstance on a car in Japan,British,and America.】《The keyword is car and vehicle.》

While Japan has system of a temporary license and what is called 若葉マーク,they don't have in Britain and America. The one which is close to the Japanese system is a display board called a learner’s plate,to which the alphabet of L is attached.

As long as the learner’s plate is put both on the front and back of the car and the one who has driver’s license sits next to driver’s seat,even if they don't have driver’s license,they can practice for a drive on the road.

Why can they do such the amusing expressions? They are pleasant idioms which are addicted to us…I'm going to start a new chapter from now on.

【Is a bag in the English a magical one? Enjoyable expressions spring out from it one after another.】《Its keyword is a bag.》

Speaking of a bag in English,everyone knows it,but they are varied from the one in which we put papers to other one for traveling. They call a little…

No.122 18/02/24 08:48
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Is a bag in the English a magical one? Enjoyable expressions spring out from it one after another.】《The keyword is the bag.》

They call a little case a briefcase,and as for a big one like a suitcase,they call as it is. They call a bigger one a trunk. A ransel with which we the Japanese are familiar is a kind of bag for an elementary school children,but there are any ransels in British and America,in addition,the ransel isn't the English but the German.They call the one which the children use when going to school a satchel.

When going shopping,they also put the goods in the bag. Then a salesclerk often asks them in the shop,“Do you want it in a bag?”,so we should bear it in our mind.

They call a shopping bag a carrier bag or as it is. When conversing,a carrier alone is enough. They call a canvas bag in which they can put everything in a carryall.

When saying,“It’s in the bag.”,in their conversation,it means all right,or going well. When saying,“Who let the cat out of the bag?”,it …

No.123 18/02/24 09:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Is a bag In the English a magical one? Enjoyable expressions spring out from it one after another.】《The keyword is bag.》

When saying,“Who let the cat out of the bag?“ it means that as it is literally,but it has other one,“Who divulges the secret?”

A female tends to be worried about the place under the eye if it begins to sag. They call the place the bag,and as to one’s financial condition,they also use the bag.

When saying,“She has bags under her eyes” it means that she is in a situation which she is worried about,and “Let me ask my bag.” it means that I should think over my financial condition carefully. If saying,“bag and baggage” it means that one’s personal belongings, everything which it has.

Conversation

A: How can you trace all that luggage?

B: I’ll get back and speak about the manager about it. I'm sure he can help us.

A: I very much hope so.

B: Don't worry. It's in the bag. Stay put. I'll be right back.

【If wanting to make an appointment,we mustn't use a promise.】

No.124 18/02/24 09:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Is a bag In the English a magical one? Enjoyable expressions spring out from it one after another.】《The keyword is bag.》

When saying,“Who let the cat out of the bag?“ it means that as it is literally,but it has other one,“Who divulges the secret?”

A female tends to be worried about the place under the eye if it begins to sag. They call the place the bag,and as to one’s financial condition,they also use the bag.

When saying,“She has bags under her eyes” it means that she is in a situation which she is worried about,and “Let me ask my bag.” it means that I should think over my financial condition carefully. If saying,“bag and baggage” it means that one’s personal belongings, everything which it has.

Conversation

A: How can you trace all that luggage?

B: I’ll get back and speak about the manager about it. I'm sure he can help us.

A: I very much hope so.

B: Don't worry. It's in the bag. Stay put. I'll be right back.

【If wanting to make an appointment,we mustn't use a promise.】

No.125 18/02/25 09:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If wanting to make an appointment,we mustn't use a word of promise.】《The keyword is diary and appointment》

Oh! I've made a mistake again. I've done double contribution in my last response. I should have been more careful of it. I'm sorry for it.

There is a book in which they write down things that they have to do,remember etc. They call it a diary or an appointment book. When someone asks them on a plan,and they have to make sure of it,they say,“Let me check it with my appointment book.”When having a tight schedule in the next week,they say,“I'm afraid I'm fully booked next week.”

When meeting someone or asking something,obtaining its consent for meeting beforehand is common sense. They call the consent an appointment,when using it as verb,they say make an appointment. When asking to put its appointment among others appointments by force,they use a word of squeeze. The squeeze has a feeling that it stuffs something among others against their will.

In British they call the diary…

No.126 18/02/25 10:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If wanting an appointment,we mustn't use a word of promise.】《The keyword is diary and appointment.》

As for the diary,there is a way of calling it a pocket book in British,on the other hand it means that it's a handbag for a female in the U.S.A. We should be careful of it.

When having an appointment,and gone for the meeting,they always say to a reception clerk,“My name is…I have an appointment to see …at…” Then they never use a word of promise.

Conversation

A: What seems to bothering you?

B: I've got a terrible pain in my back.

A: How serious is it,Mr.Jones?

B: Quite bad. I can hardly walk for myself. I must see a doctor as soon as possible. Could you squeeze me in this afternoon?

A: I'll see what I can do. Let me see. Can you come at 5:30?

B: Great. Thank you.

【When saying an opinion,if having a variety of it,we can be a leader in a meeting there.】《The keyword is opinion.》

They call an organized occasion when a number of people come together in order to discuss or …

No.127 18/03/11 16:15
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When saying an opinion,if having a variety of it,we can be a leader in a meeting there.】

《The keyword is opinion.》

They call an organized occasion when a number of people get together in order to discuss or decide something a meeting or conference. They adopt staff meeting for the meeting in a department or in a workplace. When using the conference,it’s often large-scale.

They call a person who controls a meeting a chairman or chairperson. Emcee is a person who presides a reception or party. It seems to be initials from masters of ceremonies according to the book.

A matter that need to be discussed or dealt with in the meeting is agendum. It’s a singular form and agenda is a plural one. When classifying the agendum minutely,they call it item. A record on the meeting is called minutes and whenever saying,it’s always plural form,so we should be careful of it.

A formal suggestion at a meeting that they discuss or vote on is a motion,and for example,if saying,“I made a motion to….”

No.128 18/03/11 17:21
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When saying an opinion,if having a variety of it,we can be a leader in a meeting there.】

《The keyword is opinion》

A formal suggestion at a meeting that they discuss or vote on is a motion and for example if saying,“I made a motion to adjourn.”,it means that I’ve called a recess. When others approved the motion,they say the motion was seconded,and if being adopted,they say the motion was carried.

When speaking in a meeting,it seems to be hard,but there is a useful way of saying when speaking its opinion,amending its opinion,they say on second thought. If saying,“On second thought I’ve decided to go.”,it means that I’ve reconsider it and made up my mind to go.If saying,“I’m beginning to have second thoughts about it.”,it means that I’ve started to think it over once more.

In general,when saying its thought,they use a word of opinion. If saying,“What’s your opinion of the new system?”,it means asking others their thought on the new system. When saying its thought,they use the…

No.129 18/03/11 18:00
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

《The keyword is opinion.》

In general,when saying its thought,they use a phrase of in its opinion. It seems that we’ve heard of saying,“in its understanding” it seems to originate from a Japanese literal translation. In an idiomatic expression,we should use the phrases such as,“in my opinion”,“in my view”,or “from what I understand.” They also use the view like the opinion.

When saying its own thought,after saying,“The way I look at it is this…”we can show our opinion to others. If wanting to say its own thought,they say,“That’s my personal opinion.” When wanting to listen to an objective thought of a third party,they say,“Let’s listen to a third person’s opinion.”

Conversation

A: John asked me to attend his wedding in London.

B: And did you say ‘yes’?

A: Well,at first I said no. London’s so far away,but on second thoughts,I decided to go.

B: I think you made the right decision. Mary will…

No.130 18/03/18 08:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

Continuation of the last response.

Conversation

B: I think you made the right decision. Mary will be pleased.

A: And John,too!

【Speaking of a shirt,is it a dress shirt,or underwear?】《The keyword is shirt.》

As you know,シャツ in a Japanese word is equal to shirt,but as to what kind of shirt,it doesn’t always seem that everyone have confidence on it. In addition,its pronunciation is also different from the Japanese. The part of the English pronunciation includes the one between ア and エ of the Japanese vowel. Moreover in American pronunciation,bending the tip of the tongue and makes the r sound good.

If speaking the shirt alone,it seems that everyone is apt to be at a loss what to say. We need to add some words to the shirt so as to tell between some kinds of shirts. The underwear is a T-shirt or undershirt. What is called a Yシャツ is a dress-shirt. An open-necked shirt is a sport shirt. The one like a trainer of Japanese style is a sweat shirt.

A ランニング of Japanese style which…

No.131 18/03/18 09:38
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Speaking of shirt,is it a dress shirt or underwear?】《The keyword is shirt.》

What is called ランニング of the Japanese style which doesn’t have any sleeves is a vest in Britain and a sleeveless undershirt in America. Speaking of vest in the American English,it means that a piece of clothing with buttons down the front and no sleeves that is often worn over the dress shirt and under a jacket as a part of a man’s suit. The vest of the American style is a waistcoat of the British style. We should be careful of it.

Western people don’t seem to wear an underwear of long sleeves or long underpants. They usually seem to wear a short sleeve undershirt and briefs.

There is an interesting expression in which the shirt is used. It’s “give the shirt off his own back.” He gives the shirt which he wears to others,so it means he is hopelessly good-natured.

When expressing,I’ve kept a male in my mind in this chapter until now,and as for a female,the word of shirt is hardly used for,but …

No.132 18/03/18 11:13
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Speaking of a shirt,is it a dress-shirt or underwear?】《The keyword is shirt.》

As to an underwear for a female,it’s a lingerie or undies,and the one which she wear over the underwear’s is called a blouse.

Conversation

A: I told John I was writing my thesis and the next day his word processor arrived at my home.

B: And when I told John I was going to Spain,he sent me a guidebook,maps and a case of Spanish wine.

A: I know what you mean. He’d give you the shirt off his own back,wouldn’t he?

【If putting on other’s shoe,what will happen?】《The keyword is shoes.》

Speaking of 靴 in Japanese,shoes occur to almost us the Japanese,and when showing us the shoes and asking us to say,この靴 it seems that almost everyone says this shoes,but if thinking of it carefully, I find it strange.for the shoes are plural form of a shoe,so we should say a pair of shoes,or these shoes. When trying to say something which are sets in English,I find it complicated.

Even if speaking of shoes,they don’t always…

No.133 18/03/21 10:42
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If putting on other’s shoe,what will happen?】《The keyword is shoe.》

Even if speaking of shoes,they don’t always mean that it limits to single one. For example,there are boots,and the ones when skiing,they put on ski boots. The one which they put on in the room,they call it slippers.

In the Western’s life,when a day is over and going to the bed in their bedroom,for the first time they put off the shoes,and change the shoes for slippers. They keep their shoes all day,so they regard the shoes as a part of clothes like a shirt or sweater.

If trying to sayf,“put on one’s foot other’s shoe” like,“to step into someone’s shoes.”its meaning is interesting. It means succeeding to other.

Conversation

A: Most people have to work to get to the top.

B: But not in John’s case. He just stepped into his father’s shoes.

A: And he’s got such a responsible job.

B: Do you think he can manage?

A: I doubt it. He is still a little too young.

B: Yes,he needs more experience.

No.134 18/03/21 11:37
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【People in the Jones is a pronoun for the one who are vain ones.】《The keyword is name.》

Whenever being friendly with others,everyone calls their names each other. The Westerns have custom like that. Moreover they use nicknames,so William is Bill,Elizabeth is Liz or Beth.

They think the name as a part of the language,so when exchanging greetings,they say not only hello,but say other’s name,like,“Hello,Beth.” However,from the beginning,they find it hard to use other’s name for their seniors,elders or strangers.

In that situation,they choose the proper moment and ask,“May I call 〜.” If we the Japanese say,“Please call me Ken.”or “Please call me Mika.”almost all of them also say,“Please call me Bill”like that.

If being unable to listen to other’s name well,we should ask,“What was your name again,please?”raising the end of the word,and then if failing to listen to the name,we should ask the spelling,“How do you spell it,may I ask?”

It is hard to listen to the name of a foreigner,so…

No.135 18/03/21 12:08
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【People in the Jones are pronoun for the one who are vain.】《The keyword is name.》

It is usually hard to listen to a name of a foreigner clearly,so even if asking it in return,it isn’t impolite of us so much.

As to a title,it’s usually added to the family name,but Sir alone is added to a first name,so we should be careful of it. For example,there is a famous grammarian,Sir Randolph Quirk,though I’ve never heard of it,when calling him using the sir,it’s not SIr Quirk but Sir Randolph,so we should be careful of it.

It seems that Jones is an ordinary name,so if saying,“Keep up with the Jones.”it means that without being second to anybody in the neighborhood leading its life,making itself look big.

Conversation.

A: Darling,Mary next door is going to Spain tomorrow. What about our going to Portugal?

B: What?

A: Jone bought them a new microwave oven. We need a new one too.

B:What?

A: Jone bought Jenny…

B: Darling! Stop keep up with the Jones. I love you,isn’t that enough?

No.136 18/03/25 06:56
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Both of them are seat,but we should use the right word in the right place.】《The keyword is desk and table.》

When pronounciating table,it seems to be complicated a little for us the Japanese,for we should say テーボー rather than the Japanese style pronunciation of テーブル. Thus as to the pronunciation of the last part of エル,we should substitute オ or ウ for ル. It seem to be close to the English pronunciation.

On the other hand,as for the desk,the way of saying Japanese style is all right,and while we should stress the first syllable of デ,we should pronounce the last one,ク weakly as if we swallowed something.

Needless to say,they aren’t my own comment but the author’s,and to tell the truth to my sorrow,I’m not good at pronounciating. In addition,I’ve made use of English-English dictionary sometimes. While it’s useful,I’m afraid it prevents me from improving my English ability if I rely on it too much,so I should be careful of it.

When answering the telephone,if the person who should…

No.137 18/03/25 07:29
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Both of them are seats,but we should use the right word in the right place.】《The keyword is desk and table.》

When answering the telephone,if the person who should answer the telephone isn’t there then,they say,“He or she isn’t at its desk at the moment.” Speaking of desk work,it means an office work and a desk phone is literally the phone on the desk.

They sometimes call the front of a hotel a desk,in particular in America,speaking of a desk clerk,it means a receptionist in the hotel.

Speaking of table,they often use for it in relation to a dining table. If saying,“I’d like to book a table.”,it means wanting to make a reservation for a meal,and be added the word of for three,it means that the reservation is for the three people.

If speaking,“It’s the best table in the house.”,it means that the table is better than any other one in the house.

Conversation

A: This is John Evans speaking. It’s my wedding anniversary tomorrow. I’d like to book the best table in the house.

No.138 18/03/25 08:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Both of them are seats,but we should use the right word in the right place.】《The keyword is desk and table.》

Continuation of the last response.

B: The one by the window overlooking the harbor,sir?

A: Yes,that’ll be perfect.

B: What time,sir?

A: How about 7:30?

B: No problem,sir. We are looking forward to seeing you and Mrs. Evans then.

【When wanting an autograph from a star in the West,a sign doesn’t make sense at all.】《The keyword is sign.》

Some Japanese people say instead of a complicated seal,we should adopt a sign of the Western style. By the way,the sign in the Western style is different from the one which have been familiar with us the Japanese.If asking a star for its sign,it makes no sense a bit.

Then instead of the sign,using a word of an autograph,and they say,“May I have your autograph,please?”

The sign is equal to a signature in the West,so the word has been used for papers. Then when asking they say,“Please sign here.”,or “Please put down your signature here.”

No.139 18/03/31 10:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When wanting an autograph from a star in the West,a sign doesn’t make sense at all.】《The keyword is sign.》

The sign has also other meaning like a mark or signal. Speaking of sing language it means conveying its own will with gestures or motions. Marks on the roads are called traffic signs,and a billboard is also called signboard.

Instead of a seal ハンコ,a sign is used in the West,so it has to be its own original. The one which no one can imitate,and being able to write it the same one always. Whenever showing the sign,if the form of the character is different,it’s meaningless.

They are sometimes forced to show their sign on the back of the check in a bank or store,for the signs need to be made sure. The sign has to be done in front of others who want the sign as a general rule,otherwise other don’t recognize whether or not the sign is original.

We the Japanese may feel it unpleasant until we get used to do it,for as if we were doubted,but if the confirmation is needed,everyone does.

No.140 18/03/31 18:30
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When wanting an autograph from a star in the West,if using a word of sign,it doesn’t make sense at all.】《The keyword is sign.》

Conversation

A: May I have your autograph,please?

B: With pleasure. How long have you been collections autographs?

A: Four years. Madonna signed her name here. Paul McCartney here and Diana Ross here.

B: Where do you want me to sign?

A: On the front page. I’m your greatest fan!

B: Here you go.

【The way of praising a tie may make you a sociable one.】《The keyword is tie.》

I don’t know why,but without saying necktie,they say a tie in English. We the Japanese say,ネクタイをしめる in Japanese,but they say,putting on a tie,so they don’t use a verb which is equal to the Japanese word,しめる

Speaking of wearing a tie,it means a situation of going on having the tie. When removing the tie,they say taking off the tie. They call a pin which fixes the tie a tie clip or tie pin. The British don’t seem to use the tie pin very much,for they may think not using the tie pin…

No.141 18/03/31 19:17
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The way of admiring a tie may make you a sociable one.】《The keyword is tie.》

The British don’t seem to use a tie pin very much,for Birtish fashionable style may be not use the tie clip but make the tie sway as it is. If the tie is awry,they say,“Oh,your tie is crooked.”and if wanting to fix it,they say,“Let me straighten it up.”

The way of praising other's tie or scarf well is one of knacks in sociable conversation. For example,if saying “Oh,your tie looks very nice.”or coming to the point,“Oh I like your tie.”or“I like your scarf”it’ll be all right. If being praised,it’s just that they have only to say“Thank you.”and smile.We don’t have to be modest more than being necessary.

A restaurant and hotel which we can go without wearing the tie have increased so much,but wearing suit and tie is the lowest etiquette at dinner time. Everyone can lend the suit and tie in some restaurants or hotels. If asking to borrow a jacket and tie,they seem to accept,and instead of using the word of…

No.142 18/04/01 22:12
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The way of praising a tie may make you a sociable one.】《The keyword is tie.》

…then instead of using the word of suit,they say it's a jacket.

Conversation

A: I’m ready whenever you are.

B: I’ll put on my jacket and I’m ready. How do I look?

A: Perfect,but just let me straight up your tie. It’s crooked.

B: Thank you. It’s my first appearance on TV,you know. I’m quite nervous.

A: Oh,I’m sure you’ll be all right.

【Lay on your card on the table.】《The keyword is card.》

The Western people also know well that when we the Japanese meet someone for the first time we always exchange our cards each other.instead of using a name card,visiting card or business card,lots of them say it’s meishi as it is. They don’t have the business cards so much as we the Japanese. They use the business cards for their business at best.

The most important thing in the first time they meet isn’t exchanging their business cards,but recognizing others’ name clearly and after that using the name in their…

No.143 18/04/01 22:52
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Display your skill.】《The keyword is card.》

The most important thing in the first time they meet isn’t exchanging their business cards each other but recognizing others’ name and after that using the name in their conversation,for even if receiving the business card,if being unable to recognize other’s name,it isn’t good.When receiving the business card,we tend to relieve and to neglect to remember other’s name,so we should be careful of it.

Speaking of card,it means a kind of game,and we the Japanese call it trump. The trump is good as a word of foreign origin,but if trying to use as English,it doesn’t make sense a bit,so we should watch it out.

Instead of using the word of card,whenever they play they say playing card,and they usually use the name of the game concretely,like playing poker or playing bridge.

When asking to show others what they thought,they say,“Lay your cards on the table.” Speaking of a cardsharp,it means a sharper いかさま師 in the game in which cards are used.

No.144 18/04/01 23:30
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Display your skill.】《The keyword is card.》

They show their name cards in various cases like on birthday,at an inquiry 見舞い,each celebration,on wedding anniversary,and for thanks. Even if belating the card,we don’t have to be worried about it,for the card is ready for the people who are belated.

Conversation

A: Be honest,Mary. Tell me what you are thinking about. Tell me where you are going to get the money from and when you’re coming back.

B: But…

A: Come on. Lay your cards on the desk.

B: All right. I’m going to stay in Paris with Pierre. His father’ll lend me some money and I’m going to study art for a couple of years.

A: You should have told me earlier! Good luck to you.

【An able person in its job can recognize the differnce between the words of job,work,and task.】《The keyword is work,job and task.》

Lots of workers seem to go through the hardship in the rush hour when commuting. If taking two hours to go to its job by train every day,they use the word of commute and say…

No.145 18/04/08 07:13
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【An able person in its job can recognize difference between the words of job,work,and task.】

《The keyword is job,work,and task》

If taking two hours to go to its job by train every day,they use the word of commute and they say,“I commute two hours every day by train.”,instead of train,they use bus and subway according to its necessity. The person who goes to its job every day is called a commuter.

A commuter pass is called a season ticket,commuter’s ticket,or commutation ticket. When buying a new one,they say,getting it renewed. The rush hour for commuting is in the morning and in the evening. They call it the morning rush hour or the evening rush hour.

The train for going to its job is called commuters’ train,and there are special ones among them like 特別快速or 通勤快速,and if saying them in English,the former is special non stop service only during the rush hours and the latter is special express train available only during the rush hour.

Some situations on the house make lots of …

No.146 18/04/08 07:49
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【An able person in its job can recognize difference between the words of job,work and task.】

《The keyword is job,work,and task.》

Some situations on houses make lots of people commute long distance naturallly. Some of them commute by bullet train 新幹線.

As to the workplace,there are two kinds of word like office and company. The office means that the place where they work actually. On the other hand,the company means its organization and institution. If saying 会社に遊びに来てください in English,they say,“Come and see me in my office.”

When working there are several words which indicate its situation like work,task,job and business,but unless being able to use the right word in the right time,it’s not useful very much.

The word of work is used generally and when using,its plural form isn’t adopted,so they use like the next,“I have a lot of work to do.” On the other hand,the job and task are sometimes used in its plural forms.

The task means indicating each of work concretely one by one.

No.147 18/04/08 08:28
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【An able person can recognize differnce between the words of job,work and task.】

《The keyword is job,work,and task.》

The job means its responsibility in a broad sense or when talking on how the one works,the word is adopted.

If saying,“That’s your job.”,it means that it’s your responsibiliity and frequently indicating,“I have nothing to do with it.”implicitly.

If saying,“That’s a big job.”,it means that it’s hard to do,and if saying,“You did a good job.”,it means that you’ve done it well,so it’s a kind of praise. If saying,“That’s a good job.”,it frequently means the business pays,it’s profitable.

Conversation

A: Oh,my commutation ticket is no longer good.

B: It’s good thing you’ve realized it.

A: Yeah. Hold on. I’ll go and get it renewed. I’ll be right back,O.K?

B: Sure.

【There are some ways of calling ヒゲ,and can you distinguish difference between them?】

《The keyword is beard and shave.》

When saying ヒゲ in Japanese,it has nothing to do with its place or the shape,and all…

No.148 18/04/14 18:27
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are some ways of calling ヒゲ in English,and can you distinguish difference between them?】

When saying ヒゲ in Japanese,it has nothing to do with its place and shape and it’s just say that we have only to say a single word,ヒゲ,but when speaking English,we can’t do it like that. We need to classify more minutely.

The most tiresome one is an English phrase which equivalent to an situation of unshaven. At first they use a word of beard and stubby. The stubby is the situation in which the beard grows so much,unshaven and it’s not well cared. Even if making use of the two words,it doesn’t fit for the situation of what we called 無精ヒゲ in English,the author said like that.

If the beard is cared well,they usually say, “He wears a beard.”,and especially being combined with the one which is spread and gathered on the center of the chin and its shape is oblong,they call it vandyke beard.

The one which grows between the lip and nose is called mustache and…

No.149 18/04/14 19:06
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are some ways of calling ヒゲ in English,and can you distinguish difference between them?】

The ones who grow on the cheek are called whiskers,and whenever being used it’s the plural form.

When removing it with a razor,they call it shave, Instead of thinking over the situation of 無精ヒゲ in English,we should say, “You need shaving.”,for it’ll make sense easily.

When chipping ice,instead of using it,they use the shape,and speaking of real feeling of summer 風物詩,shaved ice is also one of them.

When using the shave as noun,it means passing within a hairbreadth something. If saying, “It was a close shave.”,it means being escaped from something dangerous by the skin of its teeth.

In general,while when growing or shaving the ヒゲ in Japan,others tend to ask its reason,it doesn’t become the talk among the Western people. It’s a matter on a personal preference,and as to the preference,they don’t need its reason.

I’m going to show its conversation later.

No.150 18/04/14 19:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are some ways of calling ヒゲ in English and can you distinguish difference between them?】

A: You look terrible. What happened?

B: I was almost hit by a car when I came out of the supermarket. It was a close shave.

A: You have to be extra careful.

B: I was so scared. That was really frightening.

A: I bet it was. How about a nice cup of tea?

B: Thank you. I need one.

【Lumbago 腰痛 isn’t in the waist but in the back for the Western People.】

《The keyword is back and disc.》

Speaking of 腰 in English,a waist occurs to us the Japanese,and we are apt to think we can use it In English,but it isn’t an exact English. The waist is English word indeed,but it seem to mean around the waist,if comparing it to other parts like bust or lower back,it’s slim,in general,the slimmer it is the happier almost all of us the males are,I’m wondering.

When having ache in the place,they use the word of back,especially a lower back and saying,“I have a sore back.”

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

つぶやき掲示板のスレ一覧

日常のつぶやきはこちらで。日々の中で感じた事をポツリとつぶやいてみませんか❓

• レス新
  • 人気
  • スレ新
  • レス少
新しくスレを作成する