注目の話題
低収入だけど優しくて暴力(DV)をしない旦那ならいい?
ひねくれてますか?
私の人生観、おかしいですか?(長いです)

English and so on

レス500 HIT数 11944 あ+ あ-

燻し銀三( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )
20/07/17 21:10(更新日時)

【Difference in the life habit has prevented us from communicating】《Its key word is a straw》

If trying to say tatami in a Japanese-style room in English I find it hard fairly. We can just say it's a straw mat it looks like primitive somehow. Some people say it's a tatami floor as it is but even if it's the tatami of floor it doesn't ring a bell somehow.If wanting to say on its space like 六畳間 we're forced to say it's a six-mat room.

Even if being advised to sit down in a place where there is neither sofa nor chair it's natural for the Western people to be confused. Then the tatami is grasped as a sense of the floor.

Speaking of the straw there is an idiom of the last straw. When being loaded on a camel on the back with full of goods,moreover one straw was loaded. Then all of the things were ruined. The idiom is originated from the episode that a small amount of things ruins all of the things. When feeling limited the idiom is also used metaphorically like the next.

It was the last straw or it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The one which is used on the roof is a thatcher and we call the roof the thachered roof.

When being in difficulty we feel like relying on a trifle thing. Then we say a drowning man will catch at a straw. Speaking of light yellow it's straw color. When indicating the color of the hair we use the phrase.

No.2390926 16/10/22 12:05(スレ作成日時)

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

No.1 16/10/22 13:48
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Difference in the life habit has prevented us from communicating】《Its key word is a straw》

I'm going to show the example for the conversations with regard to the idiom which is interesting and useful.

A; "I just can't stand it any more. He is intolerable."

B "What do you mean?"

A "He's constantly asking favors of me."

B "Well,can't you put up with it? He is an old man."

A " But this morning at 4:30 he rang me for the eight times. It was the last straw. He just wanted a glass of water"

B "Be patient John. You'll get yourself old some day."

【A word is an imagination,so we can take advantage of it like this】《Its key word is a chair》

There are all sorts of ways of saying concerning a chair according to its form and usage when trying to say in English. An ordinary one is the chair,but if it's the one in a drawing-room we call it a sofa or couch,and if it's the long one it's a bench. When sitting on it the more comfortable one is an armchair.

We call a person who sits on the …

No.2 16/10/22 14:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【A word is an imagination,so we can take advantage of it like this】《Its key word is a chair》

We call the one who sits on armchair and says this and that and thinks over on armchair without doing anything an armchair critic. We call the one who does only criticize an armchair critic.

When adding the which is the definite article to chair its meaning seems to become different. Oh! I may have made a mistake. I've frequently added the to the word.

Speaking of getting the chair it means being installed as a professor in the university in England. If saying he's finally get the chair,it means that he becomes a professor at last. If saying who was in the chair,it means asking that who was the chairman in the meeting. If using chair as a verb,it's also the same meaning of being the chairman.

Who chaired the meeting?

Western way of thinking itself for the chair is different from us a little. An Western room where there is no tatami chair is an important place in which they yield …

No.3 16/10/22 20:00
匿名3 

If you're trying to show off you're not doing a very good job of it.

A Japanese person may look at this and not realize there are numerous errors, but to a native American…

I can't comprehend what you're trying to get across and can't concentrate because of the errors.

まぁ頑張って…

No.4 16/10/23 11:05
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

Thank you for your message.

It doesn't always mean that I want to show off,and as you've told there are lot of errors in my English. I'm sorry for it but I can't help it,for I'm non native English speakers. I'll not be afraid of making a mistake,though I've tried to avoid it as much as I can.

I've want to be a wonderful English speaker some day,but as for me it's almost self education,so there are plenty of errors in my English.

Without using,English abilities won't improve at all,I'm sure,but if adopting wrong way it may not be efficient. To my sorrow I'm not sure what to do. A good way to improve my English abilities doesn't occur to me at all.

Making friends with native English speakers or going to an English conversation school are good ways,but I'm not good at associating with others and I don't have enough money to go to the school.

The ways of using conjunctions are also in the wrong,I'm sure. The problem is I'm not sure what kind of place is in the wrong in my English.

No.5 16/10/30 08:39
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【A word is an imagination and we can make use of it like the next】《Its keyword is a chair》

At an Western room where there is no tatatami the chair is an important place where the Western people can yield themselves day and night,so the chair isn't the one on which they sit a little but the one on which they can sit for a long time comfortably.

There is other chair which doesn't have a support for the back. We call it a stool. The stool has a meaning of a toilet stool,so when saying it we should be careful of it. The conversation which is useful and interesting.

A:Great news about John Smith,isn't it?

B:Haven't heard. What's he done?

A:He's got finally the chair.

B:About time! He must be the most intelligent and hard-working man on the campus.

A:And he gives the best lectures. Great news!

【There is this expression becaus of different custom】《Its keyword is a bed》

It seems that a word of 寝台 has disappeared from the Japanese spoken language lately. Other word of 寝台車 in a train…

No.6 16/10/30 09:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is this expression owing to different custom】《Its keyword is a bed》

Other word of 寝台車 in a train barely remains. When pronuncing an English word,bed in Japanese,it's not clear whether it's ベッド or ベット. If being an idiom the bed has various meaning. The one which is familiar with us is『go to bed』. Then none of the articles like a or the are added to the word. We need to be careful of it.

If saying 『I got out of bed on the wrong side』it means waking up in a bad humor or being in a bad mood in the morning. If saying 『Let me make the bed for you』it means preparing for the bed for you. Speaking of bed and breakfast it means an English dosshouse. It's close to what is called a Japanese 民宿 which is a private home providing meals and lodging for tourists.

They abbreviate the bed and breakfast as B.B. The B.B is preparing for breakfast and being able to stay with a low accommodation charge comparatively. The place where they sleep is a bedroom. When saying the scale of the house or …

No.7 16/10/30 10:13
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is this expression thanks to different custom】《Its keyword is a bed》

When saying the scale of the house or saying whether the house is good or bad,they frequently express them as the number of the bedroom. For instance if saying 『He bought a five-bedroom house』it means it's a very big house,for the house has usually two-bedroom or three-bedroom.

They call what is called a bed town in Japanese a bedroom suburb or a dormitory suburb. I'm going to show the conversation which is useful and interesting.

A:I got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. Do I feel funny!

B:I know what you mean. I have those days too. Bad-tempered all day.

A:Yeah. I had a fight with John,shouted at the dog,complained about lunch…!

B:I think you'd better go back to bed!

【If being able to understand this idea it's just that we have only to make an effort a little more.】《Its keyword is light and electricity》

When saying a Japanese word 電気 in English we use the word of electricity but when talking…

No.8 16/11/06 11:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If being able to understand this idea it's just that we have only to make an effort a little more.】

《Its keyword is electrictty and light.》

When saying the Japanese word 電気 in English they say electricity,but when talking about the electricity everyday life they hardly use the word. There seems to be other varied expressions in English.

For example when switching on or off the electric light,they say the light went off or turns on the light. When being dark a little in the room,they say the lights are too little dark in the room. The power failure or the current is off means 停電 in Japanese. The switch which turns on or off the whole house is the main. When asking its place they say "Where're the mains?"

When saying all the electrical things in the whole house they use the electricity. The place where the plug is inserted is called an outlet. There is a plug at the end of electric appliances. When buying the electric appliances in England and America they have to install the plug…

No.9 16/11/06 19:06
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If being able to understand this idea it's just that we have only to make an effort a little more.】《Its keyword is electricity and light.》

When buying an electric appliances in England and America they have to install the plug for themselves. When installing the plug to the code they say plugs in. If the fuse blows they say the fuse was burnt out. As to the voltage,while it's 110-volt in the U.S.A. it's 240-volt in the U.K. If wanting to use a Japanese electric appliance there,a transformer is indispensable. A light bulb is an electric bulb. The bulb has also meaning of plant,so sometimes we should say it's the electric bulb.

An interesting and useful conversation.
A:Turn all the lights off,John.

B:I switched the mains,too.

A:Is that really necessary? We're only going to Spain for a week.

B:You can never be too sure. Mrs. Smith's house caught fire when she was away.

A;You may be right.

【When watching the TV the eye of the English changes into square?】《Its keyword is television》

No.10 16/11/06 19:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When watching the TV the eyes of the English change into square?】《Its keyword is television.》

TV is originally an abbreviation of television. If saying televi in England it doesn't make sense. They make use of the word of TV in the U.S.A .and the word of telly has been taken advantage of in the U.K.

We should be careful of the pronunciation of the TV. If saying TB by mistake it's an abbreviation of tuberculosis. When pronouncing the v we do it to chew the lower lip with upper teeth lightly and breathe out between the teeth and the lip.

Speaking of the TV,the number of the TV channels in Japan are so many if comparing it to other countries. The TV is always telecast in Japan but there are few countries like Japan. As to the nationwide relay on the TV the U.S.A. has CBS,NBC,and ABC and the U.K. has BBC and ITV.

If a child is involved in watching the TV and neglect its study its parents are worried about it. It's the same in any country in the world. There is a way of saying …

No.11 16/11/13 12:23
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When watching the TV the eyes of the English change into the square?】《Its keyword is television.》

There is an English way of saying that you'll get square eyes. I don't know why but as for the cinema,a word of see is used. For example see a movie or see a cinema. On the other hand as to the TV instead of the see,other word of a watch is used. We should be careful of it.

If having a visitor they turn off the TV as their etiquette unless they have a special special condition. It seems to be important for them to pay attention to the sound of volume of the TV so as to avoid the trouble between the neighbors. When the sound of the volume of the TV is noisy and loud and if they want the volume of the sound to be low they say," Will you turn it dowm a little?"

To tell the truth I want to express the conversation in the book,but its space is too small to do. Maybe we can express 1024 letters here,but it's limited to 1000 letters. I hate it.

No.12 16/11/13 14:37
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The eyes of the English change into square?】《Its keyword is television》

An interesting and useful conversation.

A: Peter,switch off the TV,will you?

B; Dad,it'll be over in five minutes.

A: You're always glued to the TV screen. You'll get square eyes.

B: But you're always watching the baseball and your eyes aren't square yet!

A: Peter!

【Please be careful of a way of saying of which we the Japanese frequently make use】《Its keyword is child and kid》

They call someone who isn't yet an adult a kid or a child. The kid is more informal. If calling its own young person the kid it's all right,but if calling other's one kid they should avoid it,

While we the Japanese seem to say" How is your child?" and we don't mind gender of the child they take advantage of son or daughter and say "How's your son?" or "How's your daughter?"

In general the children in the Europe and the United States have a strong independent spirit,it seems that they become grown-up earlier than Japanese children.

No.13 16/11/13 15:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Please be careful of a way of saying of which we the Japanese frequently make use】《Its keyword is child and kid》

One of its reason is that the whole society make much of an individual,as a result without having a strong independent spirit they find it hard to lead their lives there. On the other hand Japanese children are protected in their groups like a family,school to which they belong. They are conscious of the member in the group gradually and establish themselves. It seems unclear which one is right.

They seem to respect the children's individuality earlier,but they draw a clear line between the child and the grown-up. A phrase that children should be seen but not heard shows us the situation. In short children should be the place where we can look at but they can't assert themselves.

It shows us one side on English and American home training. It looks like a Japanese phrase that children should be silent. When we the Japanese reprove the children we use the phrase,

No.14 16/11/16 20:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Please be careful of a way of saying of which we the Japanese frequently take advantage.】《Its keyword is kid and child》

We could guess from the phrase that it's one side on the home training in the Britain and the United States. When reproving children for something we tend to say like the next. "Children must be silent." The phrase that children should be seen but not heard looks like the Japanese one.

In addition in a vehicle grown-ups don't give their seat to any children in the West. Without pampering it may help with the independent spirit on the Western children. Instead of sitting themselves Japanese parents make their children sit in the vehicle. If a foreign people looks at the scene,it's said that it finds it strange.

Interesting and useful conversation.

A: They really are naughty children,aren't they?

B Yes, Mary doesn't believe in shouting at the children.

A: Well.that's not why my grandmother used to say. Children had to be well-mannered all times.

B: Children …

No.15 16/11/16 21:28
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Please be careful of a way of saying of which we the Japanese frequently make use.】《Its keyword is kid and children.》

B: Children should be seen but not heard.

【It may be shameful of you to use the straightforward remark】《Its keyword is loo and restroom》

If trying to express a comfort station, there are lots of ways of saying in English. The English people seem to say loo often recently. If wanting to ask its place,it's just that we have only to say like the next. "May I ask where the loo is?" In general the Americans call the one in an ordinary home a bathroom and the one in a formal place a restroom.We should avoid using the word of toilet as much as we can in the United States.

On the other hand the English call the one in their house a toilet or bathroom,the one in the formal place a lavatory,the one for a male the jents,the one for a female the powder room. The restroom is the place where taking a rest in England. It doesn't mean the toilet there.

Public lavatory also…

No.16 16/11/16 22:07
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【It may be shameful of you to use the straightforward remark】《Its keyword is loo and restroom》

A public lavatory also means a public convenience. The author said he'd happened to come across a remark of comfort station. All of them are euphemism 婉曲表現 for the restroom.

When being in the restroom and someone knocked on the restroom's door from the outside,it's all right if saying someone in. The author says a book says like that but he said he'd never heard anyone say in the West.

First of all if not being used the door of the restroom is usually open. If being used it's shut,it's natural. Besides there is a little space in the lower part of at the restroom in the United States,so if being used everyone can see the feet in the restroom.

Interesting and useful conversation

A: I want to go to the loo. Do you know where it is?

B: No,let me ask.
Excuse me,can you direct me to the restroom,please?

C: Sure. Down the hall,second door on your left.

B: Thank you very much.

C: Not at…

No.17 16/11/23 02:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

Interesting and useful conversation

C:Not at all.

【Except for a way which we learn by heart,there is no way】《Its keyword is telephone and phone》

A word of 電話 in Japanese is equivalent to a telephone and a phone is also the same meaning in English. They use both of them as verb. For example they say "Phone me tomorrow" or "Telephone me tomorrow." The Americans usually say "call me" and "give me a buzz",which is informal way. The English say "Ring me" "Give me a call" or "Give me a ring"

When someone called them and they wanted to know who telephoned them,they say "Who's calling,please?" On the other hand when calling up someone if they weren't sure who received the phone they were at loss. Then they ask "May I ask who I'm speaking to?" or changing the subject into the first person and say "Who am I talking to?"

If wanting to call up someone to the telephone,they say "May I speak to〜?" …

No.18 16/11/23 10:13
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Except for a way which we learn by heart,we have no way】《its keyword is telephone and phone》

If the one who is close to them a little they say "Is there?" When answering the telephone,they say "This is〜” or it's sometimes "It's〜” and "〜here" but when it's the first time they met they say at first "My name is〜"

When asking who received the telephone there are other ways of saying like the next."Who is this,please?" or "Who is that,please?"

When receiving the telephone if they need to call someone else,they say "Shall I put 〜on?" or "Shall I put on to〜?"

If saying 公衆電話 which is Japanese word with the English they say it's pay phone or public telephone. They call the telephone inside the building like inside a hotel it's house phone.

The interesting and useful conversation

A: Hello.

B: Hello.

A: Hello.

B: Hello. May I ask who I am speaking to you?"

A: George. Don't you remember last year at the beach?

B: Oh,yes. You bought me a beer.

A: Yes,that's right.

B: Nice to hear…

No.19 16/12/02 20:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Except for a way which we learn by heart we have no way】《Its keyword is telephone and phone》

B: Nice to hear your voice again. Is John there?

A: Sure. Hold on.

【Few people seem to know the expression and the way of saying with which we're not familiar as we expect】《Its keyword is window》

When changing the Japanese word of 窓 into the English we use the word of window. It is important for us not to confuse the window with the wind. When saying the window,the last part of the sound becomes u.

Both the wind and window start from the alphabet of the w,so we should stick out our lips as possible as and say u clearly.

Few people know a windowsill in Japan in regard to the window. The windowsill is just in front of the window and sticks out a little from the window. Few Japanese windows usually have the windowsill,so we the Japanese aren't familiar with it.

European and American house decorate the window shell with some flower. For example they say."Put that potted plant on…

No.20 16/12/02 21:27
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Few people know the expression and the way of saying with which we're not familiar as we expect】《Its keyword is window》

For example they say "Put the potted plant on the windowsill." There is a glass in the window,but they don't call it a window glass. They call it a window-pane.

Speaking of window seat,it's the seat in an airplane. It's at the window. The window also has the meaning of what we call the show window. Speaking of the window dressing it's decoration on the show window or window dressing settlement 粉飾決算.

Without buying any goods,peering into a show window,we call it window shopping. If changing the noun into the verb and saying"We were windowshopping along the street" it means that we were peering into the shops on the street for a long time.

There is a situation in which something went out of the window. If using a metaphor 比喩 and saying "My confidence went out of the window" it means losing confidence really.

We call the place where we buy a ticket at a station…

No.21 16/12/03 03:25
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Few people know the expression and the way of saying with which we're not familiar as we expect】《Its keyword is window 》

We call the place where we buy a ticket at the station a ticket window and a square place on a thin paper for the address on an envelope is also the window and the envelope which has the window is a window envelope.

When we call the windows in each room,if it's in a kitchen we call it a kitchen window and if it's in a bedroom we call it a bedroom window. It's just that we have only to put the common name of the room before the window.

Conversation

A: We had a new German teacher last week.

B: Oh. What was he like?

A: Well,actually he is very strict. He corrected my pronunciation every two or three seconds.

B: Did he?

A: My confidence went straight out of the window! I'm afraid to speak now!

B: You'll get used to it. You'll find your German will vastly improve.

【If wanting to say a Japanese phrase of 鬼のいぬまに in English how should we say?】《Its keyword is …》

No.22 16/12/11 21:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If wanting to say a Japanese phrase of 鬼の居ぬ間に in English,how should we say?】《Its keyword is cat and mouse》

When saying a cat everyone can recognize what it is,but if wanting to say 三毛猫 or トラ猫 in English,we find it hard to say. They call the 三毛猫 a tortoise-shell cat in English,for the color of the cat looks like the one of the tortoise's back. They call the トラ猫 a tabby cat in English. If the cat is a male,they call it a tomcat.Speaking of a big cat,it means wild animal like a tiger or lion. Some men have whiskers and the word of whiskers is also used for the cat.

There are some idiomatic expression on the cat. If saying "let the cat out of the bag" it means lets out a secret. If saying "Don't let the cat out of the bag." It means that trying not to divulge the secret.

While there is a Japanese idiomatic expression of 鬼の居ぬ間に they say while the cat's away. It comes from the phrase of "While the cat's away,the mice will play. It means that while someone terrible or troublesome is …

No.23 16/12/11 21:57
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If wanting to say a Japanese phrase of 鬼の居ぬ間に in English,how should we say?】《Its keyword is cat and mouse》

It means that when someone terrible or troublesome is away,doing everything what it wants to do. If saying "Who bells the cat?" it means easier said than done. Who'll do the hard work actually?

The cat seems to be cautious,so there is a way of saying,"Let's wait for the cat to jump" It means that looking at the cat carefully and make sure the direction of its moving. In short it means that let's wait a little longer and see what happens.

A game of cat and mouse is a kind of a child's play. If saying play cat and mouse with,it means handling something halfheartedly or waiting for a right time to give it to someone.

Conversation

A:The boss is away on business until Tuesday.

B:I know. How about an early lunch?

A:Mm…He'll never know. How about finishing work a little earlier too?

B:Good idea! When the cat's away,the mice will play!

A:Bad little mice,aren't we?

No.24 16/12/11 22:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Expressions with which we the Japanese are unfamiliar】《Its keyword is bathroom》

A bathroom is the place where there is a bath,shower or basin,I'm sure everybody knows it,but they use the word as a lavartory. In general they take a bath in lukewarm water quickly. Almost all of the bathrooms have a shower and without taking a bath they frequently take a shower.

The container which there are some lukewarm water is a bath tub. When putting in the lukewarm water,the bath additive gives out bubble. The bath additive is exclusive use for the bath tub. They call it bubble bath. They call the hot water in the bath tub bath water.

If saying "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water." it means that be careful not to throw away everything. It's a figurative 比喩的 expression. When taking a bath there is somebody who is good at sing a song,I'm wondering. They call it a bathroom singer.

They call 蛇口 which is a Japanese word a tap or faucet. The tap is the English and the faucet is the …

No.25 16/12/18 08:30
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Expressions with which we the Japanese are unfamiliar】《Its keyword is bathroom》

The tap is the English and the faucet is the American. The tip of the shower where the water runs is a nozzle. A small towel with which they wash themselves in the bathroom is a wash-cloth in American and a face-cloth in English. A bigger one a little is a hand towel and a bigger towel with which they dry the whole body after taking bath is a bath towel. After going out of the bathtub and the one with which they dry the feet is a bath mat.

Conversation

A: Who's going to sing next? How about you,John?

B: I'm only a bathroom singer.

A: Everyone is a bathroom singer,anyway. Come on! Have a go!

B: O.K. but don't feel sorry you asked me.

【English expression with which they use some colors】

1 My bank account is in the black.

2 He looks as white as sheet.

3 That's a white lie.

4 He started shouting out of the blue.

5 I'm feeling blue. That's blue Monday feeling.

6 My account is in the red.

No.26 16/12/18 09:12
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【English expressions with which they use some colors】

7 He was treated to the red carpet.

We'll roll out the red carpet when he comes.

8 We painted the town red.

9 He's still a greenhorn.

10 He has a green thumb.

11 Look it up in the yellow pages.

12 He is in the pink.

13 He was born to the purple.

14 That's a gray area.

15 I saw a slightly gray-haired jentleman.

【The culture of water. The place where the sense of feeling in the Western people are different from us the Japanese】《Its keyword is water》

Japan is the country which frequently offers a glass of water than any other country. Whenever going in a restaurant or in a tearoom and sitting on the chair in silence,either a waiter or a waitress offers a glass of water. If being in a foreign country,we have to ask like that,"May I have some water,please?"

There are sorts of way of calling the water. We call it the water in an ordinary situation,but if buying the one in the bottle,we need to distinguish the one of …

No.27 16/12/18 09:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The culture of water. The place where the sense of feeling in the Western people are different from us the Japanese】《Its keyword is water》

If buying the water in the bottle,we have to distinguish the one which has fizziness from other which doesn't have. They call the fizziness which has carbonic acid 炭酸 a sparkling water or fizzy water. Contrary to it they call the ordinary one a still water or non-sparkling.

Without being get used to the sparkling water,it seems that it makes them feel thirsty more. They call the sparkling one a carbohydrate and the ordinary one a non-carbohydrate formally,but the sparkling and non-sparkling are usually used everyday life conversation.

While looking at the word of the water in letters we find it easy to understand,if listening to the word it seems to be hard to grasp it. When the Americans pronunce the word it sounds ワラ,so we need to pay attention to it,but when we the Japanese say the word we should do it clearly.

Speaking of watery,it means …

No.28 16/12/28 12:27
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

Speaking of watery,it means washy,or its seasoning is light. If putting the ice into coke,some people hate it,for it becomes washy,then they also should use the word of watery.

"If the water is used as verv,I find it interesting." The author said like that. If saying,"Oh,that makes my mouth water." It means that something looks so delicious that saliva is secreted in the mouth.When giving some water to a garden plant or a flower the water is used as verb.

When swimming,without being stuck out of the surface of the water,we can't breathe,so if saying "I've got to keep my head above water." it means that we have to lead our life.

Conversation

A;Hi,how are you doing?

B:I can't complain. Thank you. How about you?

A:I'm fine too. Thank you.

B:Looks like you're always busy.

A:Actually I'm doing a bit of moonlighting アルバイト. I have to keep my…

No.29 16/12/29 01:20
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The culture of water. The place where the feeling of sense in the Western people is different from us the Japanese】《Its keyword is water》

Conversation

A: I have got to keep my head above water,you know.

【Why does the word of fishy have an image of dubious?】《Its keyword is fish》

It seems that everyone knows 魚 is fish in English,but when wanting to say 淡水魚 in English,we the Japanese are apt to confuse. It's a fresh water fish. Contrary to it,海水魚 is a ocean fish in English. Both it's singular and plural they say it's fish. We seem to be unfamiliar with it.

Speaking of a fish story,it means to be a boastful account on the fishing,so it turn out to be an inaccurate account,or an exaggerated one,.so the word of fishy is dubious from a series of association on the fishing.

If saying,"There's something fishy going on." it means that it has dubious atmosphere somehow. A job which they are engaged in selling the fish is a fish monger. A job which they are engaged in getting the fish …

No.30 16/12/29 02:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Why does the word of fishy have an image of dubious?】《Its keyword is fish》

A job which they are engaged in getting fish is a fisherman. A person whose favorite thing is fishing is also called the fisherman or an angler. We are familiar with a salmon and a trout in everyday life,especially lots of people seem to love to eat a rainbow trout.

The Western people doesn't try to distinguish 平目 from 鰈 at all. They call both of them a sole,a plaice,or a flounder. As for エビ in Japanese,they call it a shrimp,a prawn,or a lobster from little one in order. Each of them has different name,so we have to be careful of it.

Speaking of ニシン in Japanese,it means a herring. If adding red in front of it and saying a red herring,it's an idiom that something which turns aside their attention.

In general,they don't eat any fish with raw. If saying on Japnese 刺身,"We eat raw fish" directly,it has an impression as if we grabbed the fish and ate it direct,so we need to come up with an idea. For example …

No.31 17/01/03 21:06
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Why does the word of fish have an image of dubious?】 《Its keyword is fish》

When saying we should think up something ourself,for example,"We eat a slice of raw fish with soy sauce"

Conversation

A: John,we're supposed to be talking about import and export figures,not your trip to New York.

B :OK,I understand.

A: Stop chasing red herrings and get back to main discussion.

B: But l learned a great deal in New York.

A: That can wait till later.

B: Perhaps you're right. Where were we?

【Do you know an apple has other meaning?】《Its keyword is the apple》

When saying apple in English,it doesn't seem to be easy as we expect. When listening to it,it sounds not アップル but アポー,so when pronouncing we should rather say アポー than アップル.

The apple is good for our health,for there is a way of saying in English,"An apple a day keeps the doctor away." It means that if eating the apple a day we don't need the doctor. The apple has other meaning of something important. If saying "John is the apple …

No.32 17/01/03 23:59
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Do you know an apple has other meaning?】《Its keywords is the apple》

If saying John is the apple of her eyes,it means she loves him blindly. It is equal to the Japanese idiom,目の中に入れても痛くない,and the apple is equivalent to the 目 in this case.

If adding other word of polish to the apple,and if saying applepolishing,it means getting on a person's good side 取り入るor flattering. It isn't a good meaning very much.

New York has a nickname of Big Apple. On the other hand,one more typical fruit is an orange,but it's a general term for the citrus fruits. Each kind has each name. They call the Japanese mikan a tangerine. Some people say"If calling New York the Big Apple,we should call Tokyo Big Mikan",but it's doubtful whether or not the nickname is firmly established.

The Japanese mikan is called Satsuma in the U.K. I find it interesting. 果物 is fruit in English,and they usually use its singular form."Would you like some fruit?" They say like that. If changing the fruit into its adjective…

No.33 17/01/04 00:31
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Do you know an apple has other meaning?】《Its keyword is apple.》

If changing the fruit into its adjective,fruity,it means homosexuality or lesbianism,so we should be careful of it,but if saying fruity on wine,it means it's flavor of fruit literally.

Conversation

A: Mary can't seem to find anything wrong with her son at all.

B: I know. I've told her the truth,but she refuses to believe me.

A: That doesn't surprise me. I told her about what he said,but she wasn't interested.

B: It's no use. John is the apple of her eyes. We just have to accept it.

【It's the country of eating meat,so distinguishing the way of calling it is important】《Its keyword is meat》

A Japanese word 肉 is equivalent to a meat in English,but it's not clear very much. The way of saying is different according to its kind. Beef is the meat of the cattle,and the pork is the one of a pig,and the mutton is the one of a sheep,and venison is the one of a deer. The meat of a calf is veal and the meat of a lamb is…

No.34 17/03/26 11:21
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【It's the country of eating meat,so distinguish the way of calling it is important】《Its keyword is meat》

The lamb is the meat of a young sheep. They call the meat of bird pourtly as a general term. A chicken is a common farm bird that is kept for its meat and eggs. A turkey is a bird that looks like a large chicken and is often at Christmas and Thanksgiving. They don't seem to have a custom of eating the meat of the horse,so it doen't have its own proper noun in English.

We the Japanese tend to think that they eat a steak everyday,but it seems to be we are in the wrong. In addition,speaking of the steak,it means beef,so they don't have to say "beer steak"

It is certain that they often eat meat in the meal,but whenever they have a meal,it doesn't always meat that they eat the beef,for the beer is more expensive than other meat even in the Western,so they usually eat the pork,chicken,or even ham and sausage.

There are some people who usually eat the vegetable mainly. We call them…

No.35 17/03/26 20:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As it's the country of eating meat,the distinguished way of calling it is important】

There are some people who eat vegetables alone. We call them vegetarians. It seems that they've increased lately. There are some people who don't eat a specific meat owing to religious conditions,so if inviting them to dinner,they ask the guests like the next.

"Is there anything you don't care to eat?"

Speaking of beef,it means complaining something in American colloquial language. Muttering something to itself.

As for the ground meat,the British say it's mince meat,and the American said it's hamberger meat. When staff ask them the degree of burning the meat in a restaurant,they do like the next."How would you like it?" Then they answer like the next."Rare,please" "Medium rare,please." "Medium,please." "Well-done,please"

『Conversation』

A: Stop beefing,George!

B: But they've taken out so much tax. I wonder if it's worth working.

A: But you're getting twice as much salary as me even after tax.…

No.36 17/03/26 20:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As it's the country of eating meat,the distinguished way of calling it is important】《The keyword is meat》

『Conversation』
A continuation of the last response.

A: What have you got to complain about?

B: It just seems a lot of money.

A: Anyway,let's not complain. Too much grumbling will give you an ulcer.

【Salt means money,earnings or something important in English】《Its keyword is salt》

Salt is one of well-known English word,so everyone recognize it,but when looking at its spelling,some people may have been perplexed for a moment if trying to pronounce it in English. If trying to say it in the angular Japanese phonetic syllable,it may not be appropriate. I'm sure of it,but I have no choice. It's not サルトbut ソルト.

Speaking of the salt,while we the Japanese are apt to imagine sugar,it's the pepper in English. There seems to be different between the Japanese and the English with regard to the thing which corresponds to the salt.

The salt has also the meaning of its own earnings…

No.37 17/03/31 01:14
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【The salt means money,earnings,and something important in English】《Its keyword is salt》

The salt has meanings of earnings,if saying,"He's not worth his salt."it means that his work isn't equivalent to his salary. If saying"You'd better take it with a grain of salt." It means that you'd better discount it.

When eating or drinking something,if feeling taste of salt,they'll say it's salty. For example,"this soup is a little salty." In general,we call a spice a condiment.

While salty means feeling taste of salt,spicy means being given a pleasant burning feeling in its mouth. When feeling spicy,they also say it's hot,but when listening to the what others say,sometimes they're not sure whether it's too pleasant burning feeling in its mouth or spicy,so they're forced to ask,"You mean hot in taste or in temperature?"

If having season with salt,they say it's salted. They call the food which doesn't have the kind of season,they say it's unsalt,or plain. Speaking of the salt of the earth…

No.38 17/03/31 05:09
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Salt means money,earnings,or something important in English】《Its keyword is salt》

Speaking the salt of the earth,it means that the decent people who support the society.

Conversation

A: John's such a component teacher. The students love him.

B: He certainly deserves the salary he gets.

A: I wish I could say the same about Robert. He's certainly not worth his salt.

B: He always finishes his class before time.

A: And he's never prepared.

B: That's certainly true.

【There are two ways of saying the situation in which they are drunken】《Its keyword is booze and wine》

They call a liquor booze as slang in English. Then the liquor is often poor quality. The Phrase of on the booze means that drinking lots of liquor. If saying he's been on the booze since this morning,it means that he's been drunken since this morning.

If saying the situation of being drunken in a roundabout way,they say under influence. Without saying the person is under influence what kind of thing,they recognize…

No.39 17/03/31 05:43
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are two ways of saying the situation in which they are drunken】《Its keyword is booze and wine》

Speaking of under influnece,without saying the situation in detail, they recognize the person is under influnece what kind of thing. It's drunken. If saying he was under influence when he drove home,it means that he was drunken when he drove home.

The way of saying the liquor in general,it stands for wine,so they call the liquor shop the wine shop,but it doesn't always mean that the wine alone has been sold in the shop. They call the kind of place the liquor shop or the package store in the U.S.A. It's called off license in the U.K.

If saying there is an off-license on the corner,it means that the liquor shop which is on the corner. Originally it means not having its license. In short while they were allowed to sell the liquor,they weren't allowed to let anyone got drunken there.

We the Japanese sometimes call the liquor alcohol,and they also call it alcohol drink. If saying he is…

No.40 17/05/04 19:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are two ways of saying the situation in which we are drunken】

《Its keywords are booze and wine》

If saying he is alcoholic it means he is addicted to liquor.

While we call a drink which doesn't include alcohol a soft drink,we call a drink which includes alcohol a hard drink.

If saying,"Would you like a drink?" it means we suggest that others drink beverage. If it isn't limited to the beverage,we have only to say "Would you like something to drink?"

〔Conversation〕

A: John was stopped by the police again.

B: What for?

A: Same as always. Drinking and driving. He is always driving under the influence.

B: He is in real trouble this time. Probably he will have his license taken away.

【Brand and an amount,we should get used to the ways of their saying】

《Its keyword is beer and lager》

Even if saying a beer to a barman in a foreign countries,it seems to be difficult for us to get our favorite beer. We need some knowledge on its kinds and the ways of saying it.

No.41 17/05/04 20:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Brand and amount…we should get used to the ways of their saying】

《Its keyword is beer and lager》

In general,the beer we the Japanese drink in Japan is called a lager beer. If wanting to drink a beer which look like the same beer as the Japanese beer,we have to say "One lager,please." but as to the lager,there are two kinds in the Western countries. The one is in the bottle and the other is draught,so we have to show the barman which one we want to drink.

Moreover,if choosing the draught,we have to say the size of the glass,it means the amount of the beer. Then "Half of draft lager,please."or "Pint of lager,please."

The pint means the unit of the capacity. It's 0.57 liter in England,and 0.47 liter in the U.S.A. The half means a half pint.

Except for the lager,there are other beers. The one is bitter whic is peculiar to the England,and the other is stout which is black beer and another is ale. When ordering the beer in a pub in foreign countries,we have to appoint one of them.

No.42 17/05/04 20:48
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Brand and amount…we should get used to the way of their saying】

《Its key word is beer and lager》

There is foam on the beer. They call it head in the slang. If saying "Put some head on it" it means that asking to put foam on the beer.

When drinking the beer there are three kinds of glass. The one is a tumbler. The other is a jug which is made of clear glass. Another is a mug which is a chinaware.

『Conversation』

A: What'll you have?

B: What have you got?

A: Lager,mild,stout and of course bitter.

B: Which is the most popular?

A: Probably bitter is.

B: Okay. A pint of best bitter,please.

【Whenever ordering a tea,they always offer tea with milk. Why?】

《Its keyword is tea》

When looking up 紅茶 in Japanese—English dictionary,there is a word of a black tea in it,but the author said he'd never heard the phrase even in the England which is the home of the tea.

Speaking of tea,it means 紅茶 in the Britain and the United States. While they call the 紅茶 tea they call the Japanese tea…

No.43 17/06/03 18:43
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Whenever ordering a tea,they always offer the tea with milk. Why?】《Its key word is the tea》

While they call the 紅茶 the tea,they call a Japanese tea a green tea. There are each tea in China and Korea. They call them a Chinese tea and a Korean tea respectively.

When drinking the 紅茶 in Japan,we usallly discriminate between a tea with lemon and a tea with milk,but they usually drink the tea with milk in England which is the center of the 紅茶.

If wanting to drink the tea with lemon,when ordering we have to say the effect that we want to drink it like the next. "May I have a cup of tea with a slice of lemon?" Sometimes they seem to call the tea with lemon a Russian tea.Anyway when ordering a tea they always offer the tea with milk.

Contrary to it,they call a Japanese 抹茶 a powdered tea. They call the 茶道 a tea ceremony. As to the Japanese two words of 紅茶 and 茶道,instead of the Japanese,I want to express them with other English words,but to my sorrow it doesn't occur to me. I can't help it

No.44 17/06/03 19:13
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When ordering the tea they always offer the tea with milk. Why?】《Its keyword is the tea》

The lives of the English are closely connected with the 紅茶, an expression which is related to the 紅茶 frequently appears in their everyday conversation. Its typical one is "That's not my cup of tea." It means that it's not my favorite things or I don't like it.

When saying『a cup of tea』 quickly,it seems that as if they said cuppa tea,so if speaking of cuppa,it means a cup of tea. If saying"Fancy another cup?",raising its tone,it means they ask whether or not others want to another cup of tea.

『Conversation』

A: How about joining us on a skiing holiday next month? We are going to Austria.

B: Skiing isn't really my cup of tea. I'm more interested in lying on the beach.

A: What about John? Do you think he is interested?

B: Perfect. He loves skiing. Why don't give him a ring?

【It seems that there is sweet perfume in a spoon in the Western countries. Why?】《Its keyword is spoon and cutlery》

No.45 17/06/04 01:27
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【It seems that there is sweet perfume in spoons in the Western Countries】《Its keyword is spoon and cutlery》

The generic name for a knife and spoon is cutlery in tableware. There is an indication of cutlery in a place where a knife,spoon and fork are sold in a department store.

On the other hand,a plate or cup are generally called crockery in tableware. The crockery is also the generic name for chinaware which includes each plate. By the way a pillowcase or sheet like bending is also called bed linen. If saying "They provided us with crockery,cutlery and bed linen." it means they provided us a part of tableware and bedding which we need for everyday life.

A spoon is included in the cutlery. We call a small spoon a teaspoon. The teaspoon has meaning of small amount. If saying two teaspoon of sugar,it means 小さじ2杯. There is a word of teaspoonful. It has the same meaning.

As to the spoon,there is a way of saying spoon feed. It means that making a child eat food with a spoon. It has…

No.46 17/07/09 10:37
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【It seems that there is sweet perfume in spoons in the Western countries. Why?】《Its keyword is spoon and cutlery》

It means overprotection,or teaching something carefully,unnecessarily. If saying 『He spoonfeeds his students』,it means he overprotects his students.

When saying he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth,it means he is from a good family or he was born into a rich family.

Though it has nothing to do with the spoon,there is a way of saying which comes from a person's name. It's spoonerisms. It means that making a mistake in pronunciation of the first phrase,and the way of saying is in reverse order.

For example,there is a phrase of well-oiled bicycle,but instead saying so,we happen to say well-boiled icycle by mistake sometimes. The spoonerisms is the situation like that.

Conversation

A:Professor Jenkins really spoonfeeds his students. He writes all their footnotes and prepares select bibiographies for each assignment.

B: I'd rather prefer to think form myself.

No.47 17/07/09 21:28
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【It seems that there is sweet perfume in spoons in the Western countries. Why?】《Its keyword is spoon and cutlery》

Continuation of the conversation.

A: Me too! A little bit of help is fine,but not too much. There is no sense of achievement.

【Bread is a thing like the staple food in conversation for the Western people】《Its keyword is bread and bakery》

Although a Japanese word,パン is bread in English,we can't buy the one which we want,if using the one word alone,for there are so varied bread that without saying its kind we can't get the one which we want in the Western countries.

For example,Japanese sliced bread 食パン is sandwich bread,and a little round one is a dinner roll. The one on which is put some raisins is a raisin bread. What is called Japanese 菓子パン is a bun.

Besides,we have to say its color,either white or brown. The one which is made of wheat is white and other ingredients like rye is brown. When ordering sandwich or toast a shop assistant asks a customer,"Brown or white?"

No.48 17/07/09 22:06
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Bread is a thing like staple food in conversation for the Western people】《Its keyword is bread and bakery》

A shop where the bread is sold is bakery or baker's.

Speaking of baker's dozen,it means 13 from long ago. I find it interesting.

The bread is staple food in the Western countries,so there are lots of expressions in which the bread is used in everyday conversation. For example,speaking of bread and butter,it means economic power which is necessaray for life.

When saying,"Acting has been his bread and butter.",it means that he has made a living by doing plays. He works as an actor.

If saying,"Life is not all bread and butter."it means that the purpose of lifeto isn't for eating alone. When putting the 『bread and butter』in front of a noun as adjective,it means it's necessary in life at least.

If saying "That's bread and butter issue."it means that it's the most basic question.

When saying,"He knows which side his bread is butter on." It means that he knows which side is…

No.49 17/09/09 04:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Bread is a thing like staple food in conversation for the Western people】

《It's keyword is bread and bakery》

If saying,'He knows which side his bread is buttered on' it means that he knows which side is advantageous for him.

『Conversation』

A:Tom's not been well these days.

B:Do you think he can continue to act?

A:I doubt it.

B:But acting has has always been his bread and butter. How is he going to earn a living?

A:I really don't know. That's the big question.

【If being able to order like that in a restaurant,it's all right.】《It's keyword is vegetable and salad.》

Japanese word,野菜 is vegetable and サラダ is salad. When ordering in a restaurant,two of them are different a little,so we should be careful.

While a heated garnish for main dish like meat or fish is vegetable,and uncooked one is salad. They also call the garnish trimmings. If wanting to eat all the garnish,they say,'All the trimmings, please.'

There are all sorts of vegetables. They call a cabbage a head of cabbage.

No.50 17/09/09 04:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If being able to order like that in a restaurant,it's all right.】《It's keyword is bread and bakery.》

As for a Japanese word of 茄子,the way of calling it is different between the U.S.A. and the U.K. They call it an eggplant in the U.S.A. and an aubergine in the U.K.

As to a potato,no one can continue to grasp a hot potato for a long time,so if saying,'This is a hot potato.'it means something tiresome or a problem which is hard to solve.

Speaking of string beans,it means edible and we can eat its shell. There are other what's called 豆 in Japanese like broad beans or peas. When calling it beans without adding anything,…

By the way I suddenly feel sleepy. Good night .

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

つぶやき掲示板のスレ一覧

日常のつぶやきはこちらで。日々の中で感じた事をポツリとつぶやいてみませんか❓

• レス新
  • 人気
  • スレ新
  • レス少
新しくスレを作成する