注目の話題
おばさんイジリされる職場
誰からも愛されない
初対面の人と仲良くなれません。

English and so on

レス500 HIT数 11951 あ+ あ-

燻し銀三( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )
20/07/17 21:10(更新日時)

【Difference in the life habit has prevented us from communicating】《Its key word is a straw》

If trying to say tatami in a Japanese-style room in English I find it hard fairly. We can just say it's a straw mat it looks like primitive somehow. Some people say it's a tatami floor as it is but even if it's the tatami of floor it doesn't ring a bell somehow.If wanting to say on its space like 六畳間 we're forced to say it's a six-mat room.

Even if being advised to sit down in a place where there is neither sofa nor chair it's natural for the Western people to be confused. Then the tatami is grasped as a sense of the floor.

Speaking of the straw there is an idiom of the last straw. When being loaded on a camel on the back with full of goods,moreover one straw was loaded. Then all of the things were ruined. The idiom is originated from the episode that a small amount of things ruins all of the things. When feeling limited the idiom is also used metaphorically like the next.

It was the last straw or it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The one which is used on the roof is a thatcher and we call the roof the thachered roof.

When being in difficulty we feel like relying on a trifle thing. Then we say a drowning man will catch at a straw. Speaking of light yellow it's straw color. When indicating the color of the hair we use the phrase.

No.2390926 16/10/22 12:05(スレ作成日時)

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

No.51 17/09/09 08:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【If being able to order like that in a restaurant,it's all right】《Its keyword vegetable and salad》

There seems to be all sorts of beans and peas,but when ordering in a restaurant,we should be careful not to confuse with them.

『Conversation』

A:Why don't your sister get a scholarship.?

B:I wish I know.

A:Does it have anything with her ethnic background?

B:Possibly,yes I had the same problem.

A:Oh,did you?

B:Yes,this issue is a hot potato.

【A thing which is suitable for a dessert of a conversation. Its ending is this】《Its keyword is dessert》

When saying デザート,it's just that we have only said dessert,but we should pay attention to its pronunciation,for if putting the accent on the first part,it becomes a desert,at the same time,when spelling if failing to spell s,it also becomes the desert.

As you know,the Western people have custom of eating something light after a meal. When a shop assistant asks a
customer it does like the next,'What would you like for dessert?'

No.52 17/09/17 21:17
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【A thing which is suitable for a dessert of a conversation. It's ending is this.】

《The keyword is dessert.》

Instead of the dessert,the word of pudding seems to be used everyday conversation often in England.

They usually choose cheese,something sweet,cakes,ice cream,or fruits as dessert. Unexpectedly the cheese is served as dessert,but they usually eat with wine which is served before.

Coffee is done after the dessert,and isn't dessert. Without ordering the dessert,if wanting to drink the coffee at once,they say,'Just a cup of coffee,please.'

When being askied a way of drinking the coffee,'How would you like your coffee?' it depends. Some people say'Black please.' Others 'With cream,no sugar please.' And another 'With sugar,no cream,please.'

They call a beverage which they drink at the end of a meal a liquor,it's usually served after the dessert. It's brandy or port wine. Then they are usually away from the table of the meal,they drink,going on having a chat. They think of a…

No.53 17/09/17 21:17
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【A thing which is suitable for a dessert of a conversation. It's ending is this.】

Instead of the dessert,the word of pudding seems to be used everyday conversation often in England.

They usually choose cheese,something sweet,cakes,ice cream,or fruits as dessert. Unexpectedly the cheese is served as dessert,but they usually eat with wine which is served before.

Coffee is done after the dessert,and isn't dessert. Without ordering the dessert,if wanting to drink the coffee at once,they say,'Just a cup of coffee,please.'

When being askied a way of drinking the coffee,'How would you like your coffee?' it depends. Some people say'Black please.' Others 'With cream,no sugar please.' And another 'With sugar,no cream,please.'

They call a beverage which they drink at the end of a meal a liquor,it's usually served after the dessert. It's brandy or port wine. Then they are usually away from the table of the meal,they drink,going on having a chat. They think of a…

No.54 17/09/17 21:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【A thing woks suitable for a dessert of a conversation. Its ending is this.】

Then they think of a timing of taking a leave with the liquor in its hand.

Conversation

A:Oh,that was a delicious meal.

B: I'm glad you liked it. Now,what would you like for dessert? We have cheese,ice cream,cakes, and fruit salad.

A:Fruit salad please.

『Some expressions on foods or vegetable.』

1: That's my cup of tea. It means that it's my favorite thing.

2:That's a piece of cake. It means it's easy to do.

3:His room is always in applepie order. It means that his room is always arranged neatly.

4:You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. It means that we can't achieve anything without a sacrifice.

5:An Apple a day keeps a doctor away. It means that if eating an apple every day,we don't have to go to see a doctor.

6:His daughter is the apple of his eye. It means that the father loves his daughter very much.

7:We got a lemon. As to the machinery,some are hit…

No.55 17/09/24 15:45
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

『Some expressions on foods and vegetable』

7:We got a lemon. It means that as for machinery there was hit or miss.

8: That's sour grapes. It means never admitting of being a bad loser.

9:Who brings home the bacon? It means that the one who ears money for our livelihood is me.

10: Our mother is the breadwinner in our family. It means that our mother makes a living.

11: He knows which side his bread is buttered on. It means that he recognizes which side is profitable.

12: Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. It means that while she looks as if she wouldn't harm even a fly,she does wrong.

13: These two are chalk and cheese. It means that they don't resemble at all.

14: Take his stories with a grain of salt. It means that we should discount his stories.

15: He is not worth his salt. It means that when we take into account his salary,he should work harder.

16: Let him stew in his own juice. It means that let him do as what he likes for a while.

17: He is a ham. It means that he is …

No.56 17/09/24 16:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

『Some expressions on foods and vegetables.』

17: He is a ham. It means that he is engaged in wireless communication or a poor actor.

18: That's a red herring. It means being going to change the subject.

19: We were packed like sardines. It means that the train was overcrowded.

20: He shut up like a clam. It means that he suddenly became silent.

21: I want you to talk turkey. It means that I want you to talk frankly and seriously.

22: They are like peas in a pod. It means that they are exactly alike.

By the way,three is still lots of space ,but I suddenly feel sleepy,so I can't go on any more today.

No.57 17/10/09 09:25
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Though a topic on money is common between Japan and America …】《Its keyword is money and shark》

In general,as to us the Japanese,I find it hard to talk about money,but they have to be clear so as to prevent them from occurring unnecessary troubles in foreign countries.

There is phrase in English like the next,『Business is business.』It means that they think they must be quite distinct on money. They talk about the condition on the job,including the reward,before starting the job,they call the condition terms. When wanting to say the reward politely,they say remuneration. When speaking in a roundabout way,it’s a financial reward.

When talking about the terms,they make use of those phrases well and say,“Could you tell me about the remuneration?” or “Do you have any idea what the financial reward is?” If wanting to get right to the point,they say “How much do I paid for this?”

When there is a limit on the money,we the Japanese say,金のなる木は無い,there is an English phrase like that.

No.58 17/11/05 17:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Though a topic on money is common between Japan and America…】《Its keyword is money and shark》

When there is a limit on money,we the Japanese say,金の成る木は無い、English native speakers also say.“Money doesn’t grow on trees” I find it interesting.

There is a one who spends money at once. We call it “Money burns a hole in his pocket” When wanting to borrow some money,they say,“May I borrow some money?

A signed acknowledgement of a debt is IOU. It comes from I owe you. It means that I am indebted to you. They call a consumer finance サラ金 a loan shark. It seems to make them think of the situation in which a shark chases a game.

Conversation

A:I’d be careful of Bill if I were you.

B : What do you mean?

A : Don’t borrow any money from him.

B : Why not?

A : I have heard he charges very high interest rates on money borrowed. He is a shark.

B : Really? I can’t believe it. Anyway I get the message.

【Why are the Americans so straightforward?】《its keyword is salary and pay》

No.59 17/11/05 18:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Why are the Americans so straightforward?】《Its keyword is salary and pay》

There is a Japanese phrase,サラリーマン,as everybody know,a reward of the labor is salary. If there is the one who is well paid,they call the person “He or she is on a very good salary”

In Japan,not only salary,給料,but pay have been used lately. As for the situation of the reward,they say,“Is the good pay?” Or “The pay isn’t very good.”

In general,the pay is the money which is paid for a single work. On the other hand the salary is the money which is paid regularly. It’s a fixed salary. The phrase of income is similar to the salary. It’s also the fixed salary.

Except for the salary,when they get the money of the rent for the house,or royalties 印税,the two of them mean the income. Then when asking the income they say,“Have you got any income apart from your salary?”

The wage is usually weekly pay and it’s paid in cash. The income for a doctor,lawyer,and accountant is called a fee. There’s a lecture in which…

No.60 17/11/05 19:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Why are the Americans so straightforward?】《Its keyword is salary and pay》

There is a lecture in which a doctor,professor or accountant are invited. They call the reward for them honorarium.

When doing some kind of work,sometimes there is extra benefit. They call it a perquisite. They call it perks in their conversation. For instance when working we need the cost of a meal or traveling expenses. If we don’t have to pay the charge,it becomes perks. When using the phrase they adopt the plural form.

They call a profitable job a lucrative. It has nothing to do with the type of job. When gettin a huge money unexpectedly,I want to say ぼろ儲け in Japanese,they call the money “the money for old rope”

Conversation

A: Can you tell me more about the job?

B : Sure. The terms are here on this sheet. Right here.

A : I see.

B : Are there any perks besides the pay?

A : Yes. Free lunches and free taxi rides on the way home after 10 p.m.

B : Good. | will take it.

No.61 17/11/08 23:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Why are the American straightforward?】《Its keyword is salary and pay》

When talking about money in English,while the Americans tend to ask frankly,the British are apt to avoid a direct impression like money or pay and speaking in a roundabout way. For example,“Can you tell me a bit more about it?” they ask like that and get the information out of a person

【As for a purse,the American have image in which the the purse shuts its mouth】《Its keyword is purse and wallet》

Japanese word,財布,while it’s seemingly easy but when being asked how to say in English,I have to think of it a little,said the author of this book,英単語おもしろ事典. If there is a person who learns it by heart mechanically,the purse is 財布,please be careful,especially in the U.S.A.

The purse means a handbag in American English. If a male says carelessly,“I forget my purse” it seems to be very strange. By the way,the handbag is as it is in British. It’s the handbag.

While the purse is for females,the one for males is a wallet.

No.62 17/11/09 07:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As for a purse the American have an image in which the purse shuts its mouth】《Its keyword is wallet and purse》

The one for some billls is called a billfold,but it doesn’t always mean that the word of the purse isn’t use for the one in which the money is put. The one for small part of coins is called a coin purse,and the small sum of coins are called small change.

Minimum unit of Japanese money is 1yen at present. The same one in British is equivalent to 1 penny. The penny has also the general meaning of the small sum of money,or change.

When asking with the end of rising,“A penny for your thought?” it means asking what you think. It’s an informal way of saying,“I’ll give you a penny so tell me what you’ve thought.”

Conversation

A : Oh,here you are,John. A penny for your thoughts?

B : If you give me a pound,I’ll let you know.

A : Come on,John. Tell me.

B : Actually,I was thinking about our wedding anniversary.

A : Oh,how sweet of you,darling!

B : How would you like to…

No.63 17/11/09 15:38
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As for a purse,the American have an image in which the purse shuts its mouth】《Its keyword is wallet and purse》

Conversation

B : How would you like to celebrate it?

A: Well,let me think.

When the purse is used as verb it means that puckering すぼめる its mouth. If saying,“She purse her lips with disgust” it means that she hurt her feeling so much that she puckered her lips.

【As long as ther is some money beside them,its feeling will get through to others】《Its keyword is coin and penny》.

If saying a metallic currency,it’s a coin. The phrase of the coin is so much spread in Japan that there have been some Japanese phrases コイン ロッカー、or コインランドリー. If saying them in English,the former one is a coin operated locker,and the latter is laundromat or launderette.

Each coin in British and the U.S.A, has a nichname. A coin of 5cent is called a nickel,but it’s hard to pronounce. If saying it with a Japanese style,ニッケル to them,they won’t understand it at all. When they say it it …

No.64 17/11/10 13:03
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As long as there is some money beside them,its feeling will get through others】《Its keyword is coin and penny 》

When they say nickel it looks like as if they said ネコ,we the Japanese seem to feel like so,so we should be careful of it. The coin of 10cent is dime,and the one of 25cent is quarter.

On the other hand,in the U.K.they call both of the former 5pence coin and the former 1shilling coin bob,as to the 10pence coin at present which is the former 2 shilling one they call it florin.

Dollar and pound are also the money which are used in the U.S.A. and in the U.K. Each of them has a nickname. The dollar is buck and the pound is quid. For example if having 10 dollars,they say,“I have ten bucks”,if having 10 pounds,they say,“I have ten quid” while the buck has a plural form the quid doesn’t. We should be careful of it.

Both of 1cent in the U.S.A.and 1pence in the U.K.is called penny. There are lots of expressions in conversation on the penny. If saying,“He is a penny pincer”,it…

No.65 17/11/10 14:03
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【As long as there some money beside them,its feeling will get through others】《Its keyword is coin and penny》

If saying he is a penny pincer,it means that he is a miser. The word which means economical is good ones and bad ones. Thrifty is good but stingy is bad,so we should be careful of it.

When using a public lavatory they used to need a penny,so if saying,“Let me spend a penny” it means wanting to go to the restroom.

Conversation

A: Hello.

B: Oh,hi. How are you?

A: I’m fine,but you look worried. What’s on your mind?

B: I am thinking about the money John’s just borrowed from me.

A: I know how you feel. He is such a penny pincer.

B: And he is always so tactful.

By the way,when saying,“The penny has dropped”,it means making itself understood,why? It comes from the next situation.When using a pay phone in the U.K.for a long long ago,if there was one who picked up the receiver and a coin of penny drop downward,they could talk over the telephone each other.

No.66 17/11/10 14:57
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【This is the time when not only English native speaker but non native should insist on its right】《Its keywords is change and silver》

An Japanese word,お釣り is change,and small amount of money is small change. When asking whether or not someone has small change,they say,“Do you have any small change?”

As for the way of passing some change,both way of the U.S.A.and U.K.is different from the one in Japan. By the way,I’ve never been to any foreign countries,so I can’t understand their way of passing changes very much,so this time,my description may be shorter and more strange a little.

When there isn’t enough change,if saying,“I was short changed”,it’s all right. After receiving the change,if thinking the salesclerk has taken a little much more money,they say“”I was overcharged.

When wanting to break a bill,they say,“Can you give me small change for this,please?”

They sometimes call small change silver. When saying,“Can you give me a pound in silver and the rest in notes,please?”…

No.67 17/11/14 11:15
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【This is time when not only English native speaker but non native English speaker should insist on】

《Its keyword is change and silver》

When saying,“Can you give me a pound in silver and the rest in notes,please?”,it means wanting a pound in coins and the rest in bills.

Conversation

A: How much was the taxi fare?

B: One thousand three hundred and twenty yen.

A: Quite reasonable. I thought it would be more.

B: It was.

A: What do you mean?

B: I gave the driver a five thousand yen more and I was short-changed. He only gave me two thousand six hundred eight yen!

A: You’re kidding.

B: No,I’m serious. Look.

It seems that the people in Europe and the American aren’t good at figuring. Even easy figures,every time they write down it on the paper,so it takes a time a little. Moreover it’s sometimes in the wrong,so we should check it. It seems that they can’t do the math in their heads.

【This is common knowledge in Europe and America. When buying something,please don’t forget】

《》

No.68 17/11/14 11:53
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【This is common knowledge in Europe and America. When buying please don’t forget】《Its keyword is receipt》

We usually use the word,レシート in everyday conversation in Japan. The English one is receipt as it is. There is the p in the spelling,but they don’t pronounce. The first pronunciation is r. When pronouncing,we should try to bend the tip of the tongue as much as possible and say.

To be exact,there seems to be two kinds of receipt. The one we receive at a cashier レジ and other one on which the item of each goods we bought were printed.

The one we receive the one in exchange of the goods is called a till receipt. Other one on which the goods were written in details is a written receipt or a itemized receipt.When the till receipt alone isn’t enough,they say,“May I have a written receipt,please?”

Without a receipt,they can return nor exchnge articles. Even being short-changed,they won’t pay no attention to it,so we should be careful.

When wanting to return articles,they say…

No.69 17/11/14 15:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【This is common knowledge in Europe and America. When buying something don’t forget please】《Its key word is receipt》

When wanting to return articles,they say,“Can I have a refund on this?” and when wanting to exchange it “Can I exchange this for something else?”

The word of receipt means that not only the paper which means that someone received some money,but receiving something else.If saying,“We’re awaiting the receipt of further information.” it means that we’ve been waiting for still more information.

Conversation

A: Six thousand four hundred yen,please.

B: Here you are. Can I have a written receipt?

A: Certainly. Who should I make it out to?

B: Peter Jones.

A: And the date?

B: Today’s date,please.

A: Here you are,sir.

B: Fine. Thanks a lot.

When buying something,let’s try to get into the habit of receiving a receipt. When something troubled happens in articles or there aren’t enough articles after paying the money,we need the receipt.

No.70 17/11/18 11:30
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Could you call me the exact name,for the specialized field in which I’m engaged is is different in a delicate way】

《Its keyword is safe and thief》

Strong metal box with a special lock that is used for keeping money is called a safe. It’s an easy word,while when using it as adjective,it easily occurs to us,when using as noun,it doesn’t unexpectedly. Needless to say,it is so as to prevent our valuables,important documents,and cash from being stolen from a thief,and it’s usually a fireproof.

We usually call the one who steals things from other a thief,if saying it in Japanese it’s 泥棒,but when saying it in English,its meanings varied,and various words have been used for it,though the most ordinary one is the thief.

The thief steals in other’s house stealthily and steals a thing from there in secret. As to its characteristic,it doesn’t use a weapon and seldom hurts others.

A burglar is worse than the thief. Its better than a robbery but worse than the thief,maybe. It breaks into…

No.71 17/11/18 12:52
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Could you please call me the exact name the specialized field in which I’m engaged,for it’s different in a delicate way】

The burglar breaks into the other’s house. It’s large-scale and attacks a jewel’s shop,a bank and a train and loots things by force.

The other who steals goods secretly in a store is called a shoplifter. When using it as a verb,it shoplift. On the other hand the other one who steals things from other people’s pocket or bags in public place is calle a pickpocket. I’m sure we should be careful not to be picked from our pockets,but what should we do to be concrete?

The one who tricks somebody in order to get money or etc is called a con man. It’s an abbreviation of a confidential man,but the word of con is also used as a verb like the next. “We were all conned”

Conversation

A: I thought you said he was a professor.

B: That’s what he told me.

A: I believed him.

B: John lent him some money. So did I. So did Mary and she was…

No.72 17/11/18 18:39
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Could you please call me the exact name the specialized field in which I’m engaged,for it’s different in a delicate way】

Conversation

B: So did Mary and she was swindled out of two thousand dollars.

A: And John lent him five hundred dollars and he never saw it again. He seemed so honest,but he was a con man.

B: Oh! How terrible!

There has been such the plenty of shoplifting in the America and England that the goods are tied up with chains or there is a a metal of alarm device on each goods. If doing shoplift,when trying going out from the shop the alarm device will work. The precaution against the shoplifting in the Western countries is by far more severe than in Japan.

Fraud is called confidence or confidence trick in England and game in America. A con man is also called a swindler. It’s the one who deceives a person or organization and extorts some money from them.

【We have to do it at least before we have been dishonored a bill 不渡り】

No.73 17/11/23 16:04
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【We have to do it al least before we have been dishonored a bill】

《The keyword is cheque》

Speaking of cheque,everybody can recognize it,but its spelling is different between England and America,so we need special attention. While check is used in America,cheque is in England. Its pronunciation is the same.

Personal checks have been spread so much in the U.K. that almost all of the payments are all right as long as they have bank cards or cheque cards which are issued by a bank. When asking its address,they say,“Who do I make the cheque(cheque)payable?”

Moreover,not only in the U.S.A. but in Japan,credit cards are spread so much that almost all of the people can use its payment with the credit card. When having finished going shopping and tried to pay,they will be asked,“Cash or charge?”in the U.S.A. and“Cash or cheque?” in the U.K.

They ask the way of paying,“How would you like to pay?” If using a credit card,they show it to the store clerk and ask,“Do you accept this card?”

No.74 17/11/23 18:22
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【We have to do it at least before we have been damaged by a dishonored bill.】

《The keyword is cheque》

They call a dishonored check a rubber check,or a bad check. If saying,“He gave me a rubber cheque” ,it means that his cheque was dishonored.

The word of check has also other meanings. It means Putin’s a thing in a person's care for a while. If saying,“Can I check this case with you,please?”,it means asking others to leave its case in other’s care,.

Conversation

A: I told you I didn’t trust Tony.

B: I wish I’d believe you.

A: Why? What happened?

B: Well,I sold him my stereo and bike.

A: Yes?

B: And he gave me a check.

A: So what’s the problem?

B: It bounced. Tony gave me a rubber check.

A: I’m not surprised.

The check has a also meaning of making sure something. If saying,“Check the brake”,it means that making sure whether or not the brake functions.

If saying double check,it means making sure whether or not it’s all right with two kinds of way at least. If saying…

No.75 17/11/23 18:22
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【We have to do it at least before we have been damaged by a dishonored bill.】

《The keyword is cheque》

They call a dishonored check a rubber check,or a bad check. If saying,“He gave me a rubber cheque” ,it means that his cheque was dishonored.

The word of check has also other meanings. It means Putin’s a thing in a person's care for a while. If saying,“Can I check this case with you,please?”,it means asking others to leave its case in other’s care,.

Conversation

A: I told you I didn’t trust Tony.

B: I wish I’d believe you.

A: Why? What happened?

B: Well,I sold him my stereo and bike.

A: Yes?

B: And he gave me a check.

A: So what’s the problem?

B: It bounced. Tony gave me a rubber check.

A: I’m not surprised.

The check has a also meaning of making sure something. If saying,“Check the brake”,it means that making sure whether or not the brake functions.

If saying double check,it means making sure whether or not it’s all right with two kinds of way at least. If saying…

No.76 17/12/02 00:19
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【We have to do it at least before we’ll have been checked by a dishonored a credit】

《The key word is cheque》

If saying double check,it means making sure something for dual things. Speaking of check on,it means making sure of something. For example,if saying “Check on its police record” it means ordering to make sure whether or not it has a criminal record.

【A topic in which we can’t stop chuckling is common to all nations】

《Its keyword is banker and bunker》.

Everybody knows a Japanese word 銀行 is a bank,but speaking of a person who works in the bank,we are a little forced to puzzled over to choose which one,banker,or a bank clerk. The banker means an executive in the bank. Speaking of a bank clerk or a till clerk,it means a person who is engaged in a work at the counter in a bank.A branch manager of the bank is a bank manager.

A bunker of golf resembles the banker on the spelling and pronunciation,but there is no relation between them.

By the way,you may have heard a word…

No.77 17/12/02 01:02
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【A topic in which we can’t stop chuckling is common all nations】

《Its keyword is banker and bunker》

You may have heard a word of bank holiday,it’s a day off for the bank in England,and they regard the day as a national holiday there.

It’s defense is very strict in a foreign countries especially in Western countries in general,and a wire netting or an iron fence divide the bank into two place like the people who work in the bank and its customers. Either the wire netting or iron fence prevents the customers from reaching hands out in the counter.

There is no place where one can reach its hand through the counter in any bank in the Western countries,so the Western see a Japanese bank for the first time,it seems that they are surprised a little at the Japanese bank. As for the way of counting the bill,the Japanese are by far better than the Western. They are so clumsy with their hands that they are much slower than the Japanese.

A bank book 通帳 is a passbook. Speaking of a banknote..

No.78 17/12/02 01:57
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

Speaking of a banknote,it’s not the bankbook but a bill,so we should be careful of it. The money which everyone has with it is called sometimes bank balance,but it also means 預金残高 in Japanese.

When using the bank as a verb,it means relying on something or somebody,so if saying“I’m banking on you”,it means that I’m rely on you.

To my sorrow,there are some phrases for which I can’t use other English one like the bank balance. For example,a bank account 銀行口座,savings account 普通預金,and the saving account is used in the U.S.A.and deposit account is used in the U.K.

As to 当座預金 in Japanese is current account or checking account. The former is in the U.S.A.and the latter in the U.K. 口座番号 is account number.

The concept for this thread is trying to say everything in English. Whether or not it’s suitable as English is another story. At first I should try to do,but .....

No.79 17/12/05 18:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

Though I’ve tried to say them,but there are some English words which I can’t say in other English words like a bank account,saving account,account number and so on. I’m sorry for it.

When going to a bank,some people laugh,and others weep. The ones who laugh are naturally rich,so there is an English way of saying,“He is laughing all the way to the bank.” It means that he's made a profit so much that he can’t stop laughing. I wish I could be the one like him.

Conversation

A: What's he doing?

B: He owns several real estate companies in Tokyo.

A: No wonder. He spends money like water.

B: I know. He’s laughing all the way to the bank. Property in Tokyo is skyrocketing.

【There is difference between British English and American English. Does it originate from each national character?】

《The keyword is store and shop》

A Japanese word,店 is a store in the U.S.A.and a shop in the U.K.

No.80 17/12/07 10:38
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is difference between American English and British English. Does it originate from each national character?】

While a person works at a place where some goods are sold is called a sales clerk in the U.S.A.it’s called a shop assistant in the U.K. As to the places where some goods are sold,they are varied. I’m going to show some of them which they often come across.

A place where some breads are sold is a bakery in the U.S.A. and is a baker’s in the U.K. A place where some medicines are sold is a drugstore or pharmacy in the U.S.A.and a chemist’s in the U.K. A place where some vegetables are sold is a vegetable store in the U.S.A.and greengrocer’s in the U.K.

A place where some fishes are sold is a fish store in America and a fish... in America. The part of ... is monger’s. I want to express it without ...but if I do,I can’t contribute my response,so please connect the fish with the monger’s. I find it ridiculous,for I’ve never tried to...

No.81 17/12/07 11:26
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is difference between American English and British English. Does it originate from each national character?】

I find it ridiculous,for I’ve never tried to slander nor abuse anyone on this response of mine this time,but the four alphabets prevent me from contributing. What does the four alphabets mean?

To return to my main topic,I’m going to go on my response.

A place where some meats is sold is a butcher shop in the U.S.A.and a butcher’s in the U.K. A place where some flowers are sold is a flower shop in the U.S.A.and a florist’s in the U.K. A place where stationery is sold is a stationery store in the U.S.A.and a stationer’s in the U.K. A place where some books are sold is a book store in the U.S.A.and a book shop in U.K.

A place where a shoe is sold is a shoe store in the U.S.A.and a shoe shop in the U.K. A place where a clothing for a male is a haberdashery in the U.S.A.and a haberdasher’s in the U.K.and so so.

A large shop that is...

No.82 17/12/09 10:21
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is difference between America English and British English. Does it originate from each national character?】

A large shop that is divided into sections selling different types of goods is a department store. A shopping center of which arcade style is a shopping mall,it seemed to have been remarkable nowadays. Its spelling is mall,but pronunciation is モ.

Adding a talk to a shop,and if saying a shop talk,it means that a talk on a job or other job which is needed special knowledge. When saying,“talking shop” it means doing the talk on business. When saying,“Let’s not talk shop any more” ,it means they aren’t going to talk on the business no longer.

Conversation

A: Thank goodness. We’re done.

B: Yes,we’re off the hook.

A: Shall we go and have a drink on the way home?

B: Yes,but on one condition,let’s not talk shop any more. O.K.?

A: O.K.

In general,when going shopping,a sales clerk is amiable in the U.S.A. When stepping into a store....

No.83 17/12/09 18:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is difference between American English and British English】

When stepping into a store,the sales clerk addresses to the customer in the U.S.A.like the next,“Can I help you?” On the other hand,lots of people seem to say that the shop assistants aren’t so friendly in the U.K.

If wanting to take a look at the goods,they said,“Let me have a look” or “May I have a look?” After buying something,there happens to be trouble on the goods,and wanting to raise an object to the goods,they seem to say,“May I speak to the manager?”

When returning or exchanging articles,they need the receipt absolutely,so they seem to make it a rule to keep it for a while. The day when a shop or a store are open is usually from Monday to Saturday,plenty of them aren’t open on Sunday. We should bear it in our mind.

There are lots of expressions in which animals are used. We are forced to think why it is.

1 That’s a white elephant. It means it’s a useless thing.

No.84 17/12/09 18:49
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

2 He is like a bull in a china shop. It means that he is the one who breaks a thing. I’m wondering if its meaning is concrete, abstract,or both of them. I’m not sure of it.

3 Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. It means that don’t make a complain about a present.

4 The last straw breaks the camel’s back. It means that even if something trivial,if happening successively,it caused a catastrophe.

5 We can’t teach an old dog new tricks. It means that teaching an obstinate old man something new is impossible.

6 Monkeys see,Monkeys do. It means that an indiscriminate imitation. Imitating something imprudently without discrimination.

7 He took the lion’s share. It means that he alone reaps something profittable.

8 Who’s going to bell the cat. It means asking ,who is going to do the hardest thing? I’m wondering if it originates from Aesop’s Fables.

9 We are beginning to smell a rat. It means that we have some inkling of it.

10 They’re running he rat race. It means that...

No.85 17/12/16 01:49
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

10 They’re running the rat race. It means that there’s been a race which is futile.

11 He’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing. It means that he is a villain who pretends to be kind. If looking at the English sentence,it reminds me of a familiar Japanese expression,羊の皮を被った狼

12 He eats like a bird. It means that he has a small appetite.

13 He eats like a horse. It means that he’s a big eater.

14 He drinks like a fish. It means that he is a heavy drinker. I’m wondering there’r some females who are like 12 before marriage,and they change into the ones like 12 or 13,but both the males and females change with the passage of time.

15 Pigs might fly. It means that it’s impossible.

16 Don’t count chickens before they are hatched. It means that we shouldn’t count on it before we win it. It’s equivalent to a Japanese proverb,取らぬ狸の皮算用.

17 He chickened out at the last moment. It means that he shrank from it in the very end and gave it up.

18 That’s a chicken and egg situation. It means the…

No.86 17/12/16 04:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

18 That’s a chicken and egg situation, it means that we aren’t sure which is earlier.

19 He produced a rabbit out of a hat. It means that a good idea occurred to him in spite of being difficulty.

20 He took the bull by the horns. It means that he tackled the problem squarely without fear.

【Others look nice.Is it same everywhere?】

《The keyword is garden and yard》

A piece of land next to a house where flowers and vegetables can be grown,usually with a lawn.While they call it a garden in England it’s a yard in America.

Speaking of the yard in the U.K.it means a little vacant land between buildings. On the other hand,speaking of the garden in the U.S.A.it’s frequently larger scale one than other one in an ordinary house.

A lawn is accompanied by a garden,the way of calling it is different between the U.S.A.and U.K. The lawn is used in the U.S.A.grass is often adopted in the U.K.but the one which cut out the lawn is called a lawn mower both in the U.K.and…

No.87 17/12/16 09:53
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Others look nice. Is it same everywhere?】

The one which cuts down lawn is called a lawn mower in both the U.K.and the U.S.A.

The mental state in which others look better is the grass is greener on the other side. The grass on the other side looks somehow greener,somehow nicer. There is also a familiar Japanese expression. It seems to come from the foreign expression.

When making a mistake in pronunciation,the grass changes into glass,so we should be careful about it. Bending the tip of the tongue enough and pronouncing the r well is essential.

While we the Japanese focus our attention to looking at the garden,not only looking at it but holding a party and going on a picnic there in the Western countries. The Western people put the garden to practical use.

A: You’re never satisfied,Mary. Why can’t you believe that the position you have now is a good one.

B: But Ann has a better office,she works shorter hours,and she seems so happy…

No.88 17/12/17 12:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Others tend to look nice. Is it the same everywhere?】

Conversation

A: The grass is always greener on the other side,you know. Maybe Ann thinks your job’s better than hers.

B : Do you really think so?

A: Yeah.

Favorite things of the ones who love to work in the garden is gardening. If saying the one who is familiar with the gardening,“He’s got green fingers.”,or “He has green thumb.” A shop which sells young plants 苗木 or seeds is called a nursery shop.

Speaking of the nursery,it reminds us of a nursery school. The word of nursery is also used there. If thinking of a nurse who looks after sick people,the way of saying doesn’t occur to us easily. Speaking of a nursery man,it means a gardener specialized in trees.

【There are sorts of insects. What is the one which almost everyone dislikes?】

《The keyword is worm》

There are sorts of insects. The one is insects. Others which are long and soft are worms. When pronuncing,we should be careful of it.

No.89 17/12/24 09:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are sorts of insects. What is the one which almost everyone dislikes?】

《The keyword is a worm》

Judging from its spelling,if reading like the Roman alphabet,it becomes ウオーム. In fact,it's not the ウオ〜ム but the one which is close to ワーム. If saying ウオ〜ム,it means warm.

By the way,I've wanted to make the オ small,but I have little knowledge on the keyboard,so I can't do it.

There are other kind of insect called bug. What is called 南京虫 is a bedbug. The insect is the generic term,so every insect has each name,as a result we need to memorize one by one,for example,dragonfly,butterfly,beatle,lightbug,firefly and so on.

On the other hand,a long soft insect called a worm,which almost everyone seems to hate it. If there is a can filled with the worms,and imaging opening it all at one and,we can understand the meaning of a phrase,“Oh,that's a can of worm.” It means being beyond one’s control,or something troublesome very much.

When finishing making film,the film will be set in a can…

No.90 17/12/24 09:54
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There are sorts of insects. What is the one with which almost nobody is pleased?】

《The keyword is a worm》

When finishing making a film,the film will be set in a can,so if saying “It's in the can” it means being completed,or it's been already over.

Conversation

A: Alex,I've got a really complicated problem I want to talk to you about.

B : Brian and Penny’s engagement you mean?

A: Mm…Brian was engaged to Jean,and Penny was engaged to Tom. Tom and Jean are not speaking to each other.

B: It's a difficult situation,isn't it?

A: And to make matters worse,I'm in love with Penny.

B: Oh dear,it's a real can of worm,isn't it?

【How much can we believe the talk of an angler?】

《its keyword is fishing》

The angler is a person who catche fishes as a hobby.

While speaking of fishing,everyone recognizes it at once,we find it hard to speak the ones in English in relation to its tools and small articles,for instance,a fishing rod,fishing line,float,and a sinker.

When fishing the …

No.91 17/12/28 22:04
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【How much should we believe a talk of an angler?】

《Its keyword is fishing》

When fishing,except for the tools like the fishing rod,fishing line,flood or sinker,they need a hook and a bait. The way of a fishing of using the bait is a bait fishing. There is an idiom,“hook,line and sinker.” It means accepting whatever it is without thinking of anything,without saying uncritically.

If failing to catch a fish though it caught the hook,then they say,“I got it on the hook,but I failed to land it.” If it's just that the angler failed to catch,they say the fish got away,but the fish could narrowly escape from the hook,so they call the situation,“the fish came off the hook.”

When the idiom of the come off the hook is used metaphorically like “We're off the hook.”it means that we narrowly could escape from a difficult thing,or being released from duties.

Whenever failing to catch the fish,the angler tends to say,“I shouldn't have missed it,for it must be the big one.”but if saying it in…

No.92 17/12/28 22:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

《The keyword is fishing.》

However if saying it in English exactly,it's“It's always the big one that gets away.” The angler is accompanied by a boastful account,and they call the exaggerated talk a fisherman’s yarns.

A: Did you see the boxing match yesterday?

B: Yes. I don't understand why Johnson let Harris win.

A: I agree. Johnson was winning easily,but in round 5,he suddenly get careless and let Harry off the hook.

B: There is a rumor he was paid to do that.

A: Do you really think so?

B: I don't know.

The way of fishing of using a hook like a fishing lure 毛針 is posed as a bait is called a fly fishing. As to the fly fishing,we need a fishing rod,line,and reel which we wind the line with the fishing lure. Whether or not there is a fish on the hook then is another story.

After succeeding in fishing,they need a thing in which they put the fish. They call it a creel 魚籠 びく,or just a basket. Even if succeeded in fishing,some …

No.93 17/12/28 23:54
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

《The keyword is fishing》

Even if succeeded in fishing,some people return the fish to the river. They call it catch and release. There is a store for tools on fishing. They call it a tackle shop.

【There is a big difference between the Western countries and Japan on the way of handling a dog】

《The keyword is dog》

There is no any other animal than a dog which gets along with the everyday life in the U.S.A.and the U.K. Without being any dog,they don't always call the family complete. Besides the dog has assimilated into the human society in such the various situations that its range of activity is large.

The passengers can be aboard with the dog on almost all of the vehicles in the Western countries,in addition when staying at a hotel during its trip,the dog is able to be entrusted with lots of hotels.

The author of this book said like the next,“I'd frequently seen a driver of a taxi with a dog on the seat next to him drive.

No.94 17/12/30 12:09
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is a big difference between the Western countries and Japan on the way of handling a dog】《Its keyword is dog》

When teaching something new,the younger the better with regard to the dog too,so there is a way of saying like the next.“You can't teach an old dog new tricks.” In general,it means that even if explaining something new to the old,it's of no use.

While in Japan,we keep a dog outside the house as watchdog,they usually keep it with family members inside the house.

When asking whether the dog is male or female,they say,“Is it he or she?” If a contraceptive 避妊 operation is over,it's androgynous,and its personal pronoun 人称代名詞 is it. To be precisely,then the male is spayed,and the female is neutered,but they say,“Our dog is fixed.”in everyday life.

Conversation

A: Old Mrs. Saito is going to live in Spain with her son.

B: But she doesn't know any Spanish. She enjoys only Japanese food. Spain would be very difficult for her.

A: Well,but she could learn to like…

No.95 17/12/30 12:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【There is big difference between the Western countries and Japan on the way of handling a dog】《Its keyword is dog》

Conversation

A: Well,she could learn like Spanish things.

B: That's what you think,but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. She'd be happier in Tokyo.

When reading a book and stopping reading halfway,some people turn down the corner of a page. They call the part a dog earned.

When being in a restaurant,all of the people can't eat up the dishes,so some people go back with the things which they can't eat up. Then they use a bag. They call it a doggy bag.

【Debt increases as if a snowball were rolling down on a slope covered with snow. The principle is common to all nations】《Its keyword is snow》

Speaking of snow,everyone can imagine it easily. If saying,“It's snowing” the situation occurred to us at ease,but if trying to say,雪が積もってる in English,we may be puzzled a little. The situation is “The snow is staying on the ground.”

When snowing almost all of children tend…

No.96 17/12/30 22:08
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Debts increases as if a snowball were rolling down on a slope covered with snow. The principle is common to all nations. 】《The keyword is snow》

When snowing almost all of the children tend to make a figure of a person made out of snow,it means a snowman,and they'll say,“Let's build a snowman!” Others grasp some snow and press it in their hands and make a snowball,and they'll say,“Let's have a snowball fight!”

The snowball is also used as a verb. If saying,“Children are snowballing out there.”it means that the children are having a snow fight in the open air. The snowball has also other meaning. It means that something increases as if the snowball was rolling.

If saying,“Our debts are snowballing.”it means that our debts are increasing more and more. I think I want to avoid the situation.

It has nothing to do with the weather at all,but there is an idiom like the next.“I'm snowed under.”it means that I'm so busy that I'm afraid I'll be dead. It's a figurative 比喩的 expression.

No.97 18/01/01 11:14
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Debts increase as if a snowball were rolling down on a slope covered with snow】《Its keyword is snow》

Conversation

A: John,I know you've got a lot of work to do and you're terribly busy,but I really must see you.

B: Tom,I'm snowed under with work. I can't possibly see you until Friday at the earliest. I can see you on Saturday.

A: Is that a promise?

B: Promise!

If adding the to snow and it's the plural,the snows,it means a snowy season. When the snow prevents them from going out,they say,“be snowed in”or “be snowed up.”so when saying,“We were snowed in during the snows” It means that we'd been locked up in the house during the snowy season.

【When getting under the umbrella they pretend to be a duck in the U.K?】《The keyword is umbrella》

Speaking of an umbrella,it seems to be familiar with even us the Japanese,but an expression in conversation over the umbrella is hard to express unexpectedly. For example,if saying 傘を差す in English,how should we say? It seems that put your…

No.98 18/01/01 11:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When getting under umbrella,they pretend to be a duck in the U.K.】《Its keyword is umbrella》

If saying 傘を差す in English,it seems that they say,putting one’s umbrella up.“Even if having little rain,the Japanese put its umbrella up” the British say so and they are surprised at it. It seems that they have lots of rain in the U.K.,so they don't put up their umbrella when they have rain a little. We the Japanese are surprised at it.

When wanting to say,傘にお入りなさい in English,how should we say? It's “Why don't you get under my umbrella?”or “Won't you duck under my umbrella?” Then they use the duck as verb. It originates from the action that a duck moves down its head.

When blowing a strong wind,the umbrella’s shape changes into a small sake cup. We call it what is called オチョコ. It's “The umbrella was blown inside out”in English.

The umbrella is also used figuratively. If saying,“The lazy son is still under his parents’ umbrella.”it means that he is still dependent on his parents.

No.99 18/01/01 12:49
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When getting under umbrella,they pretend to be a duck in the U.K.?】《Its keyword is umbrella》

There is a place where ‘umbrella bar’ written in English at a station in the U.K. Though saying the bar,it's not the place where they don't drink. The bar means only a place in this case,and the umbrella bar means displaying to repair an umbrella. We can see a bulletin board in which the word of bar is used somewhere else like Heel bar,sandwich bar,or Milk bar.

The Heel bar is the place where a shoe is repaired. The sandwich bar seems to be a kind of restaurant,and the Milk bar is a kind of cafe.

Conversation

A: John’s a policeman,isn't he? Aren't you worried when he's on duty?

B: Yes.He’s often sent out on dangerous missions. But its his job and he loves it.

A: Brave man.

B: And on really dangerous missions the police operate under the umbrella of highly trained security forces.

A: Well,that's a relief to know.

There's one more standard joke over the umbrella and rain,but there…

No.100 18/01/02 14:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【When getting under an umbrella they pretend to be a duck in the U.K.?】《Its keyword is umbrella.》

A: Do you think it will rain today?

B: No,I don't think so,because I'm carrying an umbrella.

It's a standard joke over the umbrella and rain. Ironically,when not having an umbrella,strange to say,it tends to rain,but the joke says opposite thing.

【Speaking of 山 in Japanese,it reminds us of mountain,but it doesn't always mean that it's accepted】《Its keyword is mountain》

Speaking of 山 in Japanese,a word of mountain occurs to us at once,but if it's comparatively low,they call it a hill. The word of the hill is used sometimes for a place which we usually call a slope.

When asking a way,they sometimes say like that,,“Oh,it's at the top of that hill.” It means that it's on the slope,there is no hill then.

If it's the mountain,when being a fire,we are apt to think it's a mountain fire,but it's in the wrong,for the mountain is the part which is a rise in the land up ahead,so it doesn't…

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

つぶやき掲示板のスレ一覧

日常のつぶやきはこちらで。日々の中で感じた事をポツリとつぶやいてみませんか❓

• レス新
  • 人気
  • スレ新
  • レス少
新しくスレを作成する