注目の話題
妻の過去について
☆ダブル不倫15☆
おばさんイジリされる職場

English and so on

レス500 HIT数 11960 あ+ あ-

燻し銀三( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )
20/07/17 21:10(更新日時)

【Difference in the life habit has prevented us from communicating】《Its key word is a straw》

If trying to say tatami in a Japanese-style room in English I find it hard fairly. We can just say it's a straw mat it looks like primitive somehow. Some people say it's a tatami floor as it is but even if it's the tatami of floor it doesn't ring a bell somehow.If wanting to say on its space like 六畳間 we're forced to say it's a six-mat room.

Even if being advised to sit down in a place where there is neither sofa nor chair it's natural for the Western people to be confused. Then the tatami is grasped as a sense of the floor.

Speaking of the straw there is an idiom of the last straw. When being loaded on a camel on the back with full of goods,moreover one straw was loaded. Then all of the things were ruined. The idiom is originated from the episode that a small amount of things ruins all of the things. When feeling limited the idiom is also used metaphorically like the next.

It was the last straw or it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The one which is used on the roof is a thatcher and we call the roof the thachered roof.

When being in difficulty we feel like relying on a trifle thing. Then we say a drowning man will catch at a straw. Speaking of light yellow it's straw color. When indicating the color of the hair we use the phrase.

No.2390926 16/10/22 12:05(スレ作成日時)

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

No.351 19/05/26 14:54
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Let’s hear it.】

…it they were to prepared to listen to the bad news, the phrase would be used with the meaning that go ahead and tell me the bad news.

Without being said anything, when having a premonition that something bad happens, or guessing from expression on the face of other’s, they urge the other to tell it with the phrase. Let’s have it is also the same meaning.

The number of face which means frequency is one and ordinary

Conversation

A: I’m afraid I have some bad news for you.

B: Let’s hear it. Did the burglars get the Pocket Monster cards, too?

Other conversation. When guessing something bad from the expression of other.

A: From your expression, I assume you have some bad news. Let’s hear it.

B: Mr. Jones wants this report done over again.

【Lighten up.】

The book says it means that don’t be so serious.

Without interpreting so seriously, let’s take it easy, or without getting so excited, let’s feel at home.

No.352 19/06/08 07:39
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Lighten up】

The number of face which means its frequency is two and ordinary.

Conversation

A: He really gets on my nerves!

B: Lighten up! He’s just excited about his new car. He’s not trying to irritate anybody.

【Live and let live】

The book says it means that you don’t have to agree with everyone.

It’s an abbreviation that you live and let him or her live.

In short everyone has each way, so we have only to adopt our ways. The best thing is leave others alone. We don’t have to agree with other’s liking, a sense of value, a way of thinking so as to coexist peacefully.

The number of face which means frequency is one and ordinary.

Conversation

A: They are so conservative. I can’t believe it!

B: Live and let live. There’s nothing you can do to change them. And what difference does it make to you anyway?

【Long time no see】

The book says it means that I haven’t seen you in a long time.

It’s an abbreviation that it has been a long time since I saw you last. It’s a greeting …

No.353 19/06/08 08:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Long time no see】

It’s a greeting which is often exchanged. It was done between European traders and Chinese ones. It was the beginning of the phrase. It’s informal a little. Chinese expression on greeting is adopted for English expression as it is.

The number of face which means its frequency is four and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Joseph, how’s it going?

B: Okay, Rachel. Long time no see.

【Look alive!】

The book says it means be alert! Heads up! It means without being slowly, take into action actively. Without being careless, watch out.

Conversation

A: Look alive! We’ve got a full day’s work ahead of us.

B: It’s the same every day.

Other conversation between new employees in order to hide from a fearful an old one.

A: Look alive! Ms. Kishimoto is coming down the hallway!

B: Oh my God! Run!

【Look out!】

The book says it means watch out! Be careful.

It means that there are so many dangerous things around us that we need to watch out and to look outside.

No.354 19/06/08 09:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Look out!】

When there is something dangerous in front of others, the phrase is used as a warning with a shout. Watch out is the same meaning.

The number of face which means its frequency is five and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Look out! There is a hole in the sidewalk.

B: Thanks. I almost stepped right in it.

【Look who’s here!】

The book says it means asking, do you see someone?

When coming across someone unexpectedly in a meeting, a party or wayside, the phrase is uttered with a surprise.

When happening to find out an acquaintance who has not seen for long time in a distant place, they tell their companies or others who are near the existence of the acquaintance.

The number of face which means its frequency is three and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Look who’s here! Ron, how are you?

B: Great, Ted. Gee, it’s been ages.

Other conversation. When finding out a girlfriend in the past in a distant place.

A: Look! Who’s here! There’s Sonya, my old girlfriend.

B: Want to go over…

No.355 20/01/18 14:35
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Look who's here!】

Conversation

B: Want to go over and talk to her?

The number of face of which frequency is three and is mild one.

【Look who's talking!】

The book says it means that you are guilty of the same thing.

The phrase is criticizing comment for a person who shuts its eyes to its own but speaks ill of others or criticizing.

The one does the same thing,so can it criticize others? When this phrase is used, there is two situation.The one is said to the one itself directly,and the other was done behind its back.

Conversation. In a situation that the phrase is used to the one itself directly.

A: You really should clean up your desk.

B: Me? Look who's talking? Your desk month's worth of papers scattered on it.

Other conversation. When the phrase was used behind its back.

A: Dad has been telling me to stop putting off my chores around the house.

B: Look who's talking! Mom is always reminding to do his own chores.

The number of face of which frequency is four and mild.

No.356 20/01/18 19:27
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Make my day】

The book says it has two meanings. The one is what a pleasure,
the other is give me some good news.

Make someone's day is an idiom of making someone feel happy a whole day,feeling pleasant,and being happy.

Sudden Impact is a movie of a series of Dirty Harry in which Clint Eastwood stared in.

Harry who was acted by Eastwood hunted down a suspect whispered the phrase to him and stuck a gun into him in the movie.Then the suspect reached his gun,he was hit by Harry.

Instead of giving me any trouble,give me a reason of shooting to death at once,and make me feel happy. The phrase in the movie has a meaning like that.

Moreover the phrase has also an ironical meaning,when something bad is likely to happen,it has sometimes meaning that it must be worthless thing.

Conversation

A:I've got news for you.

B Make my day! Tell me! I can go home early.

Other conversation

A:The reply from the bank come.

B:Make my day! They've probably rejected my request for a car loan.

No.357 20/01/18 19:55
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Make my day】

The number of face of which frequency is two kind,the one is happy, and the other is angry.

【Monkey see,monkey do】

The book says it has two meaning. The one is children and others imitate. The other is like father,like son.

It's a criticising phrase in which someone imitates others. Or when advising parents,it's used,for children tend to imitate parents,so be careful of their behaviors.

For example,let's suppose there was a parent who goes cross a street in front of its children where there wasn't any traffic lights.

Then using the phrase,and saying to be careful of its behaviors,for children imitate everything of parents' behaviors,so they should always watch their behaviors.

Conversation

A: My sister liked my sweater,and she bought one just like it!

B:Monkey see, monkey do.

Other conversation.

A: Timmy saw his father drinking beer and wanted to try it.

B: Monkey see, monkey do.

The number of face of which frequency is one and mild.

No.358 20/01/25 11:29
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【More power to you】

The book says it means two kinds. The one is my best wishes to you,and the other is good for you.

When there is someone who tries to something,some people assist him or her with the phrase,good luck,and said you'll undoubtedly succeed in it.The former one corresponds to this case.

Other one is the next case. When someone had accomplished something great,others showed their appreciation for the success with the word of good for you or well done.

Conversation

A: I'decided to try out for the main role in the school play.

B: More power to you! I hope you get it!

A: This novel took me for years,and I finally have a published for it.

B: More power to you! I look forward to seeing it.

The number of face which means its frequency is four and ordinary.

【Much ado about nothing】

The book says it means like the next. Who cares? It's not worth getting excited about.It originates from a work of Shakespeare.

The ado means a fuss or a trifle trouble.

No.359 20/01/25 12:08
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Much ado about nothing】

It's a critical expression for the people who go on debating over a trifle matter as long as they like.

They are the ones who are in the political world,in a group which we call a committee or the ones who love gossip.

A: Everyone is surveyed about whether they want blue carpet or beige in our office.

B: Much ado about nothing.

The number of face which means its frequency is one and ordinary.

【My eye!】

The book says it means that I don't think so. No way!

The phrase means that it's impossible,absolute not,or I don't think I'll be intend to do it. Instead of them they say my foot sometimes.

Both of them are euphemistic slang of my ass! which we should never use. Both of the foot,eye and ass are important for us.

Using the parts of our body for the expression, and the phrase say it's impossible.

A: You still owe me that $20 you borrowed from me.

B: My eye! I paid that back the next day.

The number of face which means its frequency is one and mild.

No.360 20/01/26 02:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【My,how time flies】

The book says it means that it's getting late. I didn't realize how late it was.

The phrase is used when wanting to say a good-by.It means saying,the time passes faster as we expect. It's time to go. My means a surprise.

Mainly the phrase is used by an elderly woman.An original of the word with regard to Time flies is a Latin language,and it has nothing to do with a Chinese proverb,光陰矢の如し

Conversation.

A:It's already 11:30. My,how time flies.I'd better be leaving.

B:It's no problem for me. You're welcome to stay longer if you like.

The number of face which means its frequency is two and mild.

【Name it】

The book says it means that tell me what you'd like.

Name it is an abbreviation that give me the name of the thing. It means like the next.

Please tell me what you want me to do,and I'll do it as you expect.If saying me the name what you want,I'll buy it for you. If saying me the food what you want to eat,I'll treat you to it.

It's a conventional phrase

No.361 20/02/01 05:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Name it】

When a host prepares some beverages for guests at a party,or when someone said he or she want to ask something,the phrase is used as a pleasant answer. It's used among close relationships.

Conversation

A:I can offer you beer,white or red wine,cola,fresh juice,gin or burbon.Name it!

B:Can I trouble you for gin and tonic?

A:You got it!

The number of face which means its frequency is three and mild.

【Never say die!】

The book says it means that don't give up!

It means that even if we know it isn't good result,without giving up,we should carry it out.

The die means a word of being dead,and being completely ruined. If saying the word, others catch losing courage confronting something hard,so don't use the word,if only to show you're no quitter.

Conversation

A:I can't make head or tail of this computer.

B:Never say die! Let me see if I can help.

【No big deal】

The book says it means that it's not important.

No.362 20/02/01 05:52
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【No big deal】

There are some expressions like it's not so important,it's not worth being concerned about,it's not a problem.

If using the phrase, no big deal, we can put those three expressions together and we can do with the one phrase.

The phrase says that there is no reason that you're worried about it,or you needn't fear of it so much,and it comes from kindness.

On the other hand we tend to think other phrase,big deal means the exact opposite,but the phrase is also as same as no big deal.It means it's not important.

It is sometimes used ironically or as a joke.

Conversation

A:I hope you won't mind me borrowing your computer.

B:No,big deal. Help yourself.

Other conversation. The phrase is for a customer who is sorry for you because the meeting is put off.

A:Thank you for agreeing to postpone the meeting.

B:No big deal. Anytime is OK with me.

【No,can do】

The book says it means that that isn't possible.

No.363 20/02/01 06:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【No can do】

There are some expressions like it can't be done,this is prohibited,or that isn't allowed,and the phrase of no can do is the same meaning.

It's an intensifying negative expression like the next.Even if we make effort or we examine it carefully,it's impossible.

It's origin is a phrase which was used among traders between China and Europe in the 19th century,then the trade was prospered under the coutries.

Conversation

A:Think you can drive me to the warehouse this afternoon?

B:No can do. I've got to be here all day.

Other conversation. When we simply can't accept an invitation of our friend.

A:Want to go surfing tomorrow?

B:No can do.I've got to work tomorrow.

The number of face which its means frequency is two and mild.

【No ifs,ands,or buts.】

The book says it means that no excuses accepted.

When working this phrase is often used.

Without saying its situation with the words of if,and or but,do what you should do. The phrase urging strongly.

There is no..

No.364 20/02/08 11:29
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【No ifs, ands, or buts】

There is no reason or theory what we can't or we couldn't. I won't listen to any excuse. They are berated and encouraged with the phrase

Conversation

A:I want you to finish this job by Friday at 5:00 p.m. No ifs, ands or buts.

B:I understand, sir.

In more informal situation

A:You'd better come to my concert, no ifs, ands, or buts.

B:I'll be there.

【No kidding】

The book says it means two kinds. The one really? and the other everyone knows that.

When asking for other's remarks in return, the phrase is used with the meaning of honestly, truthfully, or really?

The kid means bantering, joking, or tricking into doing something without malice, and those meaning is well known, but there is one more the way of using. It means like the next.

As everyone has already known what you said a short time ago, why did you say like that?

The phrase sometimes condemns someone ironically like that.

No.365 20/02/08 12:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【No kidding】

Conversation

A: I just got a postcard from Eleanor, and she's having a great time in San Diego.

B: No kidding. I didn't realize she was going.

A: Nuclear power plants aren't safe as the people that run them say they are.

B: No kidding.

The number of face of which means its frequency is five and mild.

【No sweat】

The book says it means don't worry.

The sweat means perspiring, or very hard labor, but there is nothing on them, in short it means it's easy, no problem, or all right.

Conversation

A: The jeans you ordered won't be in until Friday.

B: No sweat. I can wait.

Other conversation

A: Can you drop me off at the hardware store?

B: Sure, no sweat.

The number of face which means its frequency is four and mild.

【No way, Jose】

The book says it means absolutely not.

The expression means a strong negation for other's offer or remark. Under no circumstance, or it's impossible are the same meanings.

Jose is a Spanish word, and the name of a man, and..

No.366 20/02/08 12:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【No way, Jose】

...and as the name of a man is the Spanish, so there is a sign ` right above the e o of the Jose, but I can't do it well.

The name is meaningless. and it pronounce as housei, so it rhymes with the way.

Conversation

A: You want me to dress up in a rabbit suit for Easter? No way, Jose.

B: But how much the kids will enjoy it.

When the boss said to come to the office on Sunday.

Other conversation

A: The boss wants us to work on Sunday too? No way, Jose.

B: He says he'll pays us double.

【Not by a long shot】

A long shot means a range of a gun. When a gun was invented and we have seen it for the first time, it used to be so inaccurate that it was impossible to hit at a distant mark.

As originating from the situation, it means that there is little possibility of happening something, or unrealistic remark.

Conversation

A: Do you think Ted will ever propose to Rebecca?

B: Not by a long shot. ..

No.367 20/02/15 10:54
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Not by a long shot】

B: Not by a long shot. She's foolish to keep waiting for him to ask.

【Not for my money】

The book says it means being not my opinion.

It doesn't always mean it has something to do with money, but it originally means that I don't think I spent on money for such a uncertain thing, and a part of the phrase seems to be left.

In short, in my opinion, it involves some risks and there seems to be no certainty at all. The book said it means like that.

When expressing its opinion on a matter, the phrase is used.

Conversation

A: Is now a good time to start a new company?

B: Not for my opinion. I'd wait another year.

When expressing a negative idea to other's comment.

A: I've heard that Karuizawa is a great place to spend a holiday.

B: Not for my opinion. It's too crowded during national holidays and summer vacation.

No.368 20/02/15 11:21
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Not half bad】

The book said it's pretty good.

The phrase is praising for something, saying it's very good and satisfactory.

The expression tells others that it's actually much better than it's expected.

For example, if giving an explanation for the conversation below, there is the one who thinks the French wine alone is worth drinking, and other wines in other coutries are second rate.

When trying a Chilean wine, it was better than the person imagined, so it was surprised at it and was satisfied with the wine very much.

Conversation

A: How's that wine from Chile?

B: Not half bad! Here, try some!

【Not in my book】

The book says it's not my opinion.

The book means a standard, so in my book means in my standard.

In short, it means I don't think it is good in my opinion. I can't accept it.

Conversation

A: Is the new employee doing a good job?

B: Not in my book. He isn't cooperative, and always leaves at ...

No.369 20/02/15 11:48
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Not in my book】

Conversation

B: Not in my book. He's not cooperative and leaves at 5:00 on the dot.

【Not much】

The book says it means that nothing of importance.

When being asked like the next, What's now? What do you know? or What's up? the phrase is used for answering those questions.

It means that nothing important nor amusing happens at all. The same thing is repeated as it is.

Conversation

A: Hi, Karen. What's up?

B: Not much. How are thing with you?

The number of face which means its frequency is five and mild.

【Not on your life!】

The book says it means absolutely not.

It means if I were you, I wouldn't do that. The phrase includes the meaning that it is important for your life, but I'm not interested in it at all.

In short the phrase means I can't accept it no matter what, I hate it no matter what happens.

However the phrase doesn't criticize others but expressed its own idea.

No.370 20/02/22 12:26
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Not on your life!】

Conversation

A: We're going climb Mt.Fuji next month. Want to join us?

B: Not on your life! I don't enjoy taking a walk.

【Not my cup of tea】

The book says it means that it's not my preference.

Someone's cup of tea means other's a favorite thing, a thing with which someone is pleased. It's usually used in a negative sentence. It means it's against the grain.

Sometimes there is It's or That's at the beginning of the sentence.

Conversation

A: I have an extra ticket to the opera this weekend. Want to come along?

B: Sorry. Not my cup of tea.

【Nothing to it.】

The book says it means that it's easy. The expression means that there is something which is easy to do.

Conversation

A: Do you think I'll be able to make reservation without a travel agent?

B: Nothing to it! Fax your request and they'll fax you a reply within a week.

No.371 20/02/22 12:53
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Nothing to it.】

【Now you're cooking!】

The book says it means that you're doing the right thing now.

The cooking sometimes means of doing something very well in everyday conversation in America.

They are encouraged with the phrase that what they are doing goes well smoothly.

Conversation

A: Could you check and see if I'm doing this right?

B: Let me see...yeah, you're cooking! Just keep on doing it the same way.

【Now you're talking!】

The book says it means that that's a good idea!

After someone repeated trial and error, it said its thing agrees with your idea,the phrase is used.

It means that someone said what I want it to say said at last.

Conversation

A: We could go bowling, go to a movie, go to karaoke...

B: Now you're talking! I haven't gone for karaoke for months. Let's do that!

The number of face which means its frequency is 3 and mild.

No.372 20/02/22 13:26
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Now then】

The book says it means that let's get down to business.

The meaning of the phrase changes in various way according to intonation of a speaker, but it's mainly used when a topic in the conversation is changed.

For example, when starting to talk on a new product on a meeting or arrangements, the phrase is appropriate.

Conversation

Now then, there are several important matters to be discussed in today's meeting.

When asking a patient for a medical examination, a doctor asked it on its condition.

A: Thank you for seeing on me on such on short notice, Dr. Wilson.

B: You're welcome. Now then, where do you feel pain?

【Now what?】

The book said it means asking, what else has happened?

The phrase means an angry with a new problem or new accident.

The problem which they tackled was settled at last, but a new problem happened again. Then feeling what's happened this time in the world? The phrase is used...

No.373 20/02/29 02:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Now what?】

The phrase is used with anxiety and irritation.

Conversatin

A: Tom, you'd better go see Mr. Brant right away.

B: Now what? This is just not my day.

The number of face which means its frequency is four and angry.

【Oh boy!】

The book says it means Wow! or Oh, no! It's two kinds.

The phrase is an exclamation which is often used everyday life in America.
The phrase uses a word of the boy, but it has nothing to do with the boy itself.

Its meaning changes according to its context or intonation. The phrase is usually used when being happy, or being moved, but is used when being irritated or being disappointed.

Conversation

A: Glenn, I got tickets for the game!

B: Oh Boy! I can't wait to go!

Other conversation, though it's one sentence.

Another rush job that has to be done today.

The number of face which means its frequency is five and ordinary.

【Oh my gosh!】

The book says it means well!

The phrase is an exclamation which means a surprise. It's an euphemism 婉曲表現..

No.374 20/02/29 03:24
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Oh my gosh!】

It's an euphemism 婉曲表現 of oh my God!

Conversation

A: Oh my gosh! Helen! I thought you weren't coming back north until next month.

B:We had bad weather, so we just came home early.

The number face which means its frequency is five and mild.

【Oh sure someone will!】

The book says it means it's not going to happen.

When looking at the phrase, it looks like somebody would do definitely, but its meaning is the opposite. It's used ironically, or spitefully.

It means being unable to accept that it happened. It mustn't have been.

Conversation

A: Melissa just knows she'll be accepted by Harvard.

B: Oh sure she will! She's not as smart as she thinks.

Other conversation. Talking with modesty before interview an audition for a theater.

A: I know you'll be chosen for the lead in the play.

B: Oh sure I will! I'm competing against two of the best actors in the city.

【Only time will tell】

The book says it..

No.375 20/02/29 03:45
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Only time will tell】

The book says it means that we'll have to wait to find out.

Time alone informs us its result means wait and see. The phrase has been used from a long ago.

No one can't expect its conclusion yet, but we can find out when time passes before long.

Conversation

A: Do you think Harold will be happy in his new job?

B: Only time will tell. For the moment he seems satisfied with it.

【Out of sight!】

The book says it means fantastic or that's expensive. It's two kind.

The phrase is expressed with other best admiration like, fantastic, extraordinary, awesome, beautiful.

It means that we can't understand how nice it is, for we had never seen such a excellent one.

It is usually used so excitedly that its pronunciation looks like Outta sight!

It also means an exorbitant price, or unreasonable, then without being omitting, it is said pricisely out of sight.

No.376 20/03/07 03:20
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Out of sight】

Conversation

A: Did you see that the last goal? Outta sight!

B: I can't believe it.

Other conversation.

The melons in the shop are out of sight. I don't know who can afford them.

The number of face which means its frequency is 4 and mild.

【Over my dead body!】

The book said it means that I absolutely refuse.

It means that it won't progress like that as long as I live. It's an exaggerated expression, and used for a humorous answer.

As to the content of phrases, it isn't always limited to something serious, and is sometimes used for something wrong, or something troubled.

No.377 20/03/07 03:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Over my dead body!】

Conversation

A: Can I borrow your car, Frank?

B: Over my dead body! I know how many accidents you've had.

Other conversation refuses humorously.

A: We'd like to ask you to give a speech at the conference.

B: Me? Over my dead body! I got nervous just speaking in small committee meetings.

Oh! I don't think it's humorously, though the way of refusing doesn't seem to give offence.

【Picky, picky,(picky)】

The book says it means that you are really particular.

Picky means being particular and fastidious.

No.378 20/03/07 03:52
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Picky, picky, (picky)】

It's an American English which is for a person who insists on clearly its taste in detail. Only once can make sense, but repeating three times makes other being teased, so it doesn't mean critical.

Conversation

A: I don't like rye, whole wheat or sourdough bread, only white. And I like it toasted on just one sides. Oh and I never put mustard, but a small amount of mayonnaise is OK.

B: Picky, picky, picky. Maybe I'll let you make your own sandwich.

【Piece of cake】

The book says it means easy, no sweat.

No.379 20/03/07 04:09
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Piece of cake】

It's an abbreviation of it's a piece of cake. It means something easy, or something happy.

Its origin was a contest called cakewalk which was popular among the American in the middle of the 19th century.

Black people who dressed up walked as if they had done a complicated step for a dance. Ways of walking were competed.

A prize which its winner got was a cake, so it was called a cakewalk in the beginning, and it changed into a slang that something smart, and happy, and the one which everyone could easily.

Piece of cake was a phrase which has been derived from this.

No.380 20/03/07 04:23
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Piece of cake】

In general, it means that without making effort, being able to do something easily at present. Pieace a' cake is also said.

Conversation

A: Think I'll be able to pass on my driving test on the first try?

B: Piece of cake. You've practiced more than enough.

Number of face which means its frequency are four and mild.

【Pull yourself together】

The book says it means calm down.

Pull oneself together means compose itself, or regain its self-possession.

When something happened unexpectedly, without being able to judge nor taking into action, you'll be in difficulty, so ...

No.381 20/03/14 01:57
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Pull yourself together】

...so controlling yourself and calm down. It's a kind of advice.

The phrase is used for a one who feels anxiety or angry or other who is frightened or is upset because of a bad news.

Conversation

A: Oh! What am I going to do? The police want to come by and ask a few questions!

B: Pull yourself together. I'm sure it's nothing.

The number of face which means its frequency are four and mild.

【Quite a few】

The book says it means a significant number.

There is a phrase of a few, so we tend to grasp it's an opposite meaning, but the whole phrase means a lot.

No.382 20/03/14 02:10
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Quite a few】

Conversation

A: How many people came to the gallery?

B: Quite a few. I didn't expect the show to be that crowded.

Other conversation. When being asked the number of bottles which they drank in the morning when it was hangover.

A: You look a little under the weather today. How many of bottles of wine did you have last night?

B: Quite a few. And would you please talk more softly?

The number of face which means its frequency are four and calm.

【Read between the lines.】

The book says it means that use your intuition.

If translating it word for word...

No.383 20/03/14 02:29
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Read between the lines】

If translating it word for word....

There is usually other phrase which is substituted for the phrase, but there isn't in dictionary and nothing occurred to me. I'm sorry for it.

The phrase means like the next.

Comprehending a hidden meaning or message from what was written, and thinking of a message carefully which means truly, a meaning which the message wanted to say, though it wasn't written clearly.

Conversation

A: I didn't understand whether he meant I should or I shouldn't. All he said was "I'll leave the decision to you"

B: Read between the lines, Jack.

No.384 20/03/14 02:47
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Read between the lines】

Continuation of the conversation

B: He didn't think it was a great idea, but he is willing to let you try if you'll think it'll work.

The number of face which means its frequency are two and mild.

【Read my lips】

The book says it means asking to listen to me carefully.

It means that listen to my talk in which I'm going to say seriously. It has an effect to pay attention.

The phrase has existed since around 1970s, but a remark of a person made it famous. It was George Bush who said in a speech as candidate from the Republican Party. He used the phrase so as to..

No.385 20/03/14 03:01
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Read my lips】

He used the phrase so as to emphasize he wouldn't increase any taxes at all in 1988, "Read my lips, no new taxes."

He was elected as President, but he established a new taxation system eventually.

Conversation

A: John, we're continuing on you to go with us to karaoke.

B: Marsha, read my lips. I hate karaoke, and I'm not going.

The number of face which means its frequency is one and mild

【Right away】

The book says it means immediately.

The phrase frequently appears in a place of job or in a social contact.
It means at once, or promptly.

For example when being asked...

No.386 20/03/20 12:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Right away】

For example, when being asked something by someone, the phrase is used for an answer for telling someone it is going to be done at once.

Conversation

A: How soon can you send us a catalog?

B: Right away, sir.

A serctary who was asked to mail a letter from its boss.

A: Could you drop this off at the mailbox?

B: Right away.

The number of face of which frequency is four and ordinary.

【Right on!】

The book says it means that keep it up or you're right on traget.

When supporting what other is doing, or approving of other's remark, the phrase is used like an interjection 間投詞.

No.387 20/03/20 12:59
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Right on】

It is thought that the phrase existed at the beginning of the 20th century, but there are some opininons on its origin.

For example, it is an abbreviation of right on target which was used among airmen in the World War Ⅱ.

Or it's originated from right on cue which was used in theater.

When encouraging or approving of others in general it's used in 1960s, and frequency of use has decreased gradually, but it frequently is used in every day conversation.

Conversation

A: I think we deserve a raise for all our hard work.

B: Right on.

In a debate.

A: Children deserve better..

No.388 20/03/20 13:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Right on】

In debate. Conversation

A: Children deserve better education facilities!

B: Right on!

Number of face of which its frequency are two and ordinary.

【Roger】

The book says it means yes, or gotcha.

We often hear the phrase in a TV program on documentary, or movie.

It means understanding in radio communications originally, and it's used as meaning of understanding other in every day conversation.

When using radio communications, no one can see a radio operator, so it is important to show others a message was conveyed perfectly.

Unexpectedly the roger is as same as a male....

No.389 20/03/20 13:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Roger】

Unexpectedly the roger is as same as a male name, Roger on its spelling and pronunciation, for it's an abbreviation of Roger, I understand and comply.

Then the Roger means an ordinary radio operator, and when communicating by radio, it is expressed with Roger wilco. It's an abbreviation of Roger will comply.

Conversation

A: I know it's early, but I need you to come at 6:00 a.m.

B: Roger. I'll be there.

Number of face which menas its frequency is one and ordinary.

【Run that by (me) again】

When being unable to understand other's remark with once, and wanting to repeat once...

No.390 20/03/20 13:56
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Run that by (me) again】

The book says it means asking, please say that again.

When being unable to understand other's remarks with once and asking other to want to repeat once more, the phrase is used, especially when being unable to understand a route to destination, or an explanation, the phrase is use.

It's informal expression. The run means speaking fluently.

Conversation

A: Go two blocks, take a left, then take the second right, and it's on the left.

B: Run that by me again.

【Saved by the bell!】

The book says it means good timing.

The phrase originates from a match of boxing.

No.391 20/03/29 14:36
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Saved by bell!】

When a boxer was beaten by a stronger opponent heavily, a bell which announced an end of the round, the boxer escaped from strokes, and he can take a rest until the next round.

So when being able to have a narrow escape from something unfortunate, the phrase has learned to be used.

In almost all of the cases, the phrase seems to be used has nothing to do with the bell, but sometimes saving by the bell as the phrase shows happens.

For example, when a teacher tried to appoint a student who neglected its homework, fortunately a chime which showed the end of the class rang.

No.392 20/03/29 14:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Saved by the bell!】

There is other instance. When a child was about be scold by its mother, fortunately the bell at the door rang.

Conversation

A: Brenda was boring me with her stories, when she was suddenly called to the phone.

B: Saved by the bell!

Conversation between secretaries who were worried about sexual harassment.

A: Mr. Daly was jumping on me when a customer came in.

B: Saved by the bell!

The number of face which means its frequency is three and ordinary.

【Say what?】

It has two meaning. The book says it means what? or are you kidding?

It's a slang which has two meaning.

No.393 20/03/29 15:09
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Say what?】

When being unable to listen to other, there are three kind of responses like the next. What was that? What did you say? or I didn't hear you.

It substitutes for all the responses for a single phrase.

Or when being able to listen to it, but being unable to believe in its content or being surprised at it, the phrase tried to ask, are you kidding me?

Conversation

A: There's a good chance that Ellen will be elected.

B: Say what? Ellen will what?

Other conversation

A: Say what? You're going to quit?

B: It maybe hard to believe, but that's what I've decided to to.

The number...

No.394 20/03/29 15:23
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Say what?】

The number of face which means its frequency are four and ordinary,

【Say when】

The book say it means that tell me when you have enough.

When holding a party and entertaining others, the phrase is useful. Though its scene is limited, it's frequently used.

When pouring drink in a glass, or offering food on a dish for others, the phrase is used.

It means when you feel it's enough, please show me it.

In a situation of personal preference is separated like a milk for coffee, or a delicious dessert after a meal.

The answer is when, for being said when, answering humorously, or...

No.395 20/03/29 15:38
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Say when】

...or answering politely, honestly, That's fine, thanks.

Conversation, when pouring coffee for other's cup.

A: Say when.

B: That's fine, thanks.

The number of face which means frequency are five and ordinary.

【Say what?】

The book says it means asking, what right have you to say that?

It's a little impolite expression which gives other as tit for tat. The phrase isn't used for a superior.

A phrase of who says? is reversed, for its tone is strengthened so as to express an anger. It means that you don't have right to say like that.

There is an answer which is used for the ...

No.396 20/03/29 19:14
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Says who?】

I've made a mistake again. The last head line of the last response is says who? I'm sorry for it.

There is frequently used to answer is says me. Though it seems to be angry but to be humorous, so it's good.

Conversation

A: That is one of the dumbest ideas you've ever had!

B: Says who?

A: Says me!

The number of face which means its frequency is two and angry.

【Says you!】

The book says it means that what you say doesn't matter.

It is you alone who said it, and it seems to be a big matter for you, but it doesn't for me. Its expression means like that.

The way of saying...

No.397 20/03/29 19:28
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Says you!】

The way of saying means so serious that it isn't used for a superior.

A: The project needs several important changes.

B: Says you! I think it's great just the way is!

Number of face which means its frequency are two and angry.

【Search me】

The book says it means that I have no idea.

It's a slang which is used among intimate friends alone. It means that even if looking for anywhere in me, you can't find any answer.

However if saying it in a scene in which you should be kindly, or a way of saying blunt, others tend to think it's a way of I don't care, so we should be careful.

No.398 20/03/29 19:40
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Search me】

Conversation

A: Do you have any idea where Louise went?

B: Search me.

Number of face which means its frequency are three and ordinary.

【See if I care!】

The book says it means that I don't care.

As not being pleased with other's behavior so much that the phrase is used with an anger.

When regarding the phrase as wait and see if I care, it's easy to understand. It means that watch whether or not I mind. Whatever you do has nothing to do with me.

However it doesn't always means permitting someone to do something, but you do what you want, not having interested in other at...

No.399 20/03/29 19:55
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【See if I care!】

...emphasizing not having intereted in other at all.

Conversation

A: I'm going fishing this weekend whether you like it or not!

B: See if I care! I'll go to the concert by myself!

Number of face which means its frequency are two and angry.

【See you later, alligator】

The book says it means a good-bye.

Its meaning is good-bye simply.

The phrase spread over from a popular song which was a success in 1956, see you later alligator.

When saying it we find that later rhymes with alligator, and it's a kind of enjoying words.

And there is an answer against it, after a...

No.400 20/03/29 20:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【See you later, alligator.】

...after a while, crocodile, and the while rhymes with the crocodile. As both of them are a large carnivorous reptile it seems to be completed, and when imagining the situation, it's unique and very good, the author said like that. It frequently is used among males.

Conversation

A: Time to hit the road. See you later, alligator.

B: After a while, crocodile.

Number of face which means its frequency is one and smile.

【Serves you right】

The book says it means that you deserve it.

To the one who is punished reasonably what it has done, it's a natural...

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

つぶやき掲示板のスレ一覧

日常のつぶやきはこちらで。日々の中で感じた事をポツリとつぶやいてみませんか❓

• レス新
  • 人気
  • スレ新
  • レス少
新しくスレを作成する