注目の話題
🍀語りあかそうの里🍀1️⃣0️⃣
高熱だと知り長時間放置
彼氏と分かり合えない。納得できない

English and so on

レス500 HIT数 11958 あ+ あ-

燻し銀三( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )
20/07/17 21:10(更新日時)

【Difference in the life habit has prevented us from communicating】《Its key word is a straw》

If trying to say tatami in a Japanese-style room in English I find it hard fairly. We can just say it's a straw mat it looks like primitive somehow. Some people say it's a tatami floor as it is but even if it's the tatami of floor it doesn't ring a bell somehow.If wanting to say on its space like 六畳間 we're forced to say it's a six-mat room.

Even if being advised to sit down in a place where there is neither sofa nor chair it's natural for the Western people to be confused. Then the tatami is grasped as a sense of the floor.

Speaking of the straw there is an idiom of the last straw. When being loaded on a camel on the back with full of goods,moreover one straw was loaded. Then all of the things were ruined. The idiom is originated from the episode that a small amount of things ruins all of the things. When feeling limited the idiom is also used metaphorically like the next.

It was the last straw or it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The one which is used on the roof is a thatcher and we call the roof the thachered roof.

When being in difficulty we feel like relying on a trifle thing. Then we say a drowning man will catch at a straw. Speaking of light yellow it's straw color. When indicating the color of the hair we use the phrase.

No.2390926 16/10/22 12:05(スレ作成日時)

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

No.251 18/08/13 15:18
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Easy does it.】

The number of face which shows us its frequency is three and ordinary.

【Eat your heart out!】

It means that saying,doesn’t that make you jealous?

Eat one‘s heart out means being crushed with grief or being dying to do something,but changing into other one in which being proud of our belonging, great deed to others,or showing off others something.

It’s used in the conversation alone between intimate friends. The number of face which shows us its frequency is one and ordinary.

Conversation.

A: Whose Ferrari is this,Burt?

B: It’s mine. Eat your heart out!

After having finished singing a romantic song in a karaoke bar…

A: Eat your heart out,Sinatra!

B: Not bad for an amateur.

【Enjoy yourself.】

It means have a good time.

When parting from someone for a while,or sending someone off,instead of saying good–bye,the phrase is often used.

The phrase includes a considerate feeling for others‘ plans like a travel,being out,or day off…

No.252 18/08/13 17:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Enjoy yourselves.】

…hoping others to have a good time,the phrase includes the considerate feelings.

The number of face which shows us its frequency is four and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Bye,Carl. See you when I come back!

B: Okay,Fanny. Enjoy yourselves!

A: Thanks,I’ll try to.

【Face the music.】

It means that suggesting that we have to accept responsibility for our action.

When being inconvenient for us,we apt to run away there,to pretend not to be aware of it,to go back,or to neglect our duty,but if it’s a punishment or a bad outcome which are caused by us,we should confront them with our responsibility and deal with them. The phrase is the instructive expression.

An actor,a singer,or a dancer who stand on the stage have to accept severe critics honestly from the spectators. When standing on the stage,they face the direction of the orchestra pit where the music is played.

It means that they face the spectators at the back of the orchestra pit,and even if making a mistake…

No.253 18/08/18 08:02
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Face the music.】

…even if making a mistake, being unable to do well,or the spectators in the whole hall gave them boo,they can’t run away anywhere.

Once standing on the stage,they have to face to the orchestra pit. It means that they have to do their duties for the spectators. The phrase is originated from the situation.

I’m going to show you a conversation,the A made a mistake in its work,and asking the B for advice,“What should I say to the customer?” The A seems to be in trouble.

Conversation

A: What am I going to say to Mr.Holt?

B: Face the music. Tell him the truth,apologize,and promise to correct the problem.

The number of face which shows us its frequency is one and ordinary.

【Fair to middling.】

It means being about average. When being said to,“How are you?” Or “ What’s up?”,the phrase is used for its answer. The one who is comparatively advanced in age uses the phrase. It means being not so bad.

Both the fair and middle show its rank. It means that it’s between…

No.254 18/08/18 08:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Fair to middling.】

It means that it’s between being good and ordinary. The number of face which means its frequency is one and ordinary.

Conversation.

A: How are you,John?

B: Oh,fair to middling. How about yourself?

When being asked the result of an exam or a game,the phrase is also used for its answer.

A: How was the baseball game on Sunday?

B: Fair to middling. There wasn’t much excitement.

【Famous last words.】

It means that saying that I don't believe what you say.

The phrase is an answer with sarcasm against an irresponsible and groundless remark.

There are famous sayings of men in history. Some of them are nonsense,for example,they say,“It’s the war which comes to an end to the all other wars.”or “The same thing will never happen.”,but we’re aware enough that it can’t be true.

In short,the phrase regard the other’s groundless remark as the last word of a great man in history,and making a synical remark.

However it’s used for a speaker itself in a modest manner.

No.255 18/08/18 09:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Famous last words】

The number of face which shows its frequency is three and ordinary.

Conversation

A: I hate him. I never want to see him again!

B: Famous last words! The reason you’re so angry is because you love him so much.

When hearing the resolution of a friend who is saying just but does nothing.

A: I’m going to go to the fitteness center four days every week from now on.

B: Famous last word.

【Fancy that.】

It means that’s surprise. It was so incredible that we couldn’t imagine it.

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Jerry just bought Armani suit.

B: Fancy that! I didn’t know that he had that much money or was that interested in fashion.

【Fight fire with fire.】

It means that saying that being intend to use the same strategies as your opponents.

It declaring that if other is so,I will confront it with the same way,the same strategy,and the same weapon. An eye for an eye.

The number of face which shows its frequency …

No.256 18/08/25 11:17
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Fight fire with fire.】

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and it’s angry.

Conversation

A: I’m never heard you use such tough language.

B: That’s the only kind he understands. Fight fire with fire.

【Fill in the blanks.】

It means that you can guess the rest.

We can often see the phrase,fill in the blanks,showing us to fill in the space of an letter of application or an order sheet,but the phrase doesn’t always mean we have to write down something on the the space. The space is replaced with other’s doubt or curiosity,so you’ve got enough information,haven’t you? Without saying anything no more,I assume you can understand. The phrase says like that.

The number of face which shows its frequency is two and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Douglas borrowed a lot of money to buy an expensive car,then couldn’t make the payment. You fill in the blanks.

B: He’s walking a lot these days,huh?

Douglas seems to walk around so as to borrow money for his debt.

【Fill me in】

No.257 18/08/25 11:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Fill me in】

It means asking others to tell me the new info,wanting to know more information in detail. I want to hear the rest of the story.

The one who loves gossip urges others to tell the rest of a rumor,the the phrase is used.

Conversation

A: I didn’t attend the committee meeting. Fill me in.

B: Actually,we didn’t discuss anything very important.

When urging others to tell the rest of the rumor.

A: I hear Wally and Greta had a big fight. Fill me in.

B: Apparently Greta has been seeing someone.

【Finders keeper】

It means that whoever finds something gets to keep it.

When someone finds something,even if its other’s possession,the one who finds it has right to possess it. It’s a kind of rule. It's limited to a trifle little thing,or a thing which we can’t return it to owner,for example,a thing which we picked up in the roadside.

The phrase has been used from the old times. Little children like elementary…

No.258 18/08/25 12:54
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Finders keepers】

Little children like an elementary school ones learn the phrase like that as rhythm,Finders keepers,losers weepers. It means that the one who finds it,it’ll win,and the one who loses it,it’ll pay for it.

The rhythm of the phrase is amusing and the phrase is easy to learn,so it has been used widely in general.

Conversation

A: Hey,look! A five hundred yen coin!

B: Finders keeper,losers weeper.

【For crying out loud】

It means what⁉️

The phrase shows a surprising a little,an irritation or an anger. An euphemistic 婉曲的 expression of “For Christ’ sake!”,What’s happened in the world?

The number of face which shows its frequency is three,and two of them are ordinary but one of them is angry.

Conversation

A: Bill decided not to accept the job offer.

B: For crying out loud! Why didn’t he accept it?

When showing an irritation or angry

A: Can you help me translate this message?

B: For crying out…

No.259 18/09/01 07:55
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【For crying out loud!】

Conversation

B: For crying out loud! Can’t you see I’ve already got more work than I can handle?

【For Pete’s sake!】

It means that I don’t believe this. For pity’s sake is said in other word. For God’s sake is said in euphemistically 婉曲的. The phrase shows a surprise,emphasis,irritation,and anger.

Religious reason prevents The West from using the word of God hastily. There are lots of the euphemism with regard to the God,so we should be careful of them.

The number of face which shows its frequency is two,and the one is ordinary,and the other is angry. The situation in which the phrase is used depends on.

Conversation

A: Mr.Handley is on the phone. He wants speak to you.

B: For Pete’s sake! What does he want now?

【For real⁉︎】

It means asking,are you serious? It’s a slang which is used among the young or close relationships. It’s the same the phrase of is that genuine? They use like the next,are you for real?

The number of face which shows its frequency …

No.260 18/09/01 08:30
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【For real ⁉︎】

Conversation

A: Gary called and said he can’t come.

B: For real ⁉︎ I thought he was eager to see the movie.

【Gangway!】

It means ordering to move out the way.

The gangway used to be a narrow way like a ramp to a ship or airplane,or a passageway between the seats in a theater.

When ordering or asking to make way for,pushing its way through the crowd and goes ahead,the phrase is used.

The one who asks to make way for is a firefighter or policeman. If being said like that we have to be out of the way. It has nothing to do with a gang.

Conversation

A: I wonder why there’s such s crowd here.

B: Gangway! Let the firefighters through!

【Get a grip】

It means calm down. Its original form was to get a grip on yourself.

The phrase is used for the one who is upset thoroughly,saying it to control its emotion. It includes advice that if …

No.261 18/09/01 09:07
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Get a grip】

It includes advice that if calming down and thinking it carefully,the situation will tak a turn for the better.

The number of face which shows its frequency is two and ordinary

Conversation

A:Aah! What am I going to do now?

B: Come on,Liz. Get a grip,

【Get a life】

It means thinking or doing something else.

The phrase suggests instead thinking about unimportant things,we should face more valuable things.

The phrase includes meanings that stopping to be ridiculous,don’t involve me in such trifles,there is more important thing in life.

If tackling its own life more seriously,you won’t be worried about the trifle things.

The number of face which shows its frequency is three and angry.

Conversation

A: I can’t believe they bought the green car instead of the white one.

B: What diffference does it make to you what color their car is? Gee,get a life!

【Get back to me.】

It means to ask to report to me later about that.

It’s mainly used in a scene of

No.262 18/09/08 05:07
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Get back to me】

It’s mainly used in a scene of business. The phrase that I’ll get back to you transforms into other one. The phrase asks us to contact with the one who use the phrase if there is a development.

The number of face which shows its frequency is two and ordinary

Conversation

A: I’m not sure what time the meeting will be.

B: Get back to me. I definitely want to attend it.

【Get lost.】

It means go away.

If there is someone who you think it nuisance and wish it to disappear,the phrase will strike the nuisance. It means get out of here at once.The phrase is the same category of slangs that go fly a kite,or go climb a tree.

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and angry.

Conversation

A: Can I borrow your motorcycle this afternoon?

B: Get lost,Greg. I need it to make delivers,you know that.

【Get off my back】

It means stop pestering me.

When being given a pressure from others,or being blamed,the phrase will be used. It asks not to reproach,or not …

No.263 18/09/08 06:12
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Get off my back】

…or not to torment. A situation in which a pressure bends over both the shoulders is expressed well.

Conversation

A: Remember you owe me $ 20.

B: Get off my back! I told you I’d pay you on Friday,and I will.

When being blamed,an expression of irritation is expressed.

A:You really should wear better clothes to work.

B: Get off my back! I’m not rich like you.

【Get real】

There is always a meaning under the phrase,and I make it a rule to show you at first. It’s get serious!

Though it’s a slang,it doesn’t have impolite impression at all. It means don’t be silly or don’t do something eccentric. The phrase is used to the one who said or did something absurd.

The number of face which means its frequench is three and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Jenny,we think you would make a great group leader.

B: Me? A top of leader? Not real.

【Get the lead out】

The book said it means hurry up or move it.

No.264 18/09/08 10:23
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Get the lead out!】

It’s a slang which started to use in the U.S.A.in the first half of the 20the century. It was frequently used in the armed force in the middle of the World War Ⅱ.

The lead means a heavy one which is made of lead like a bullet. A leader in a military unit prod to his subordinates into doing lots of things,like,“Take off the lead which are attached to the leg or the trousers and to be the one who move around more freely,hurry up! Work faster! Go ahead!”

The number of face which shows the frequency is one and ordinary

Conversation

A: Get the lead out! We don’t have all day!

B: Okay,okay,I’m working as fast as I can!

【Get the picture?】

The book says it means asking,do you understand the situation?

It is often used in a place of work. It’s an expression asking you whether or not you grasp the situation what it has happened. The picture means the situation.

Its answer is now I get it! or I don’t get it. If saying “I get the picture.”,it means that I understand …

No.265 18/09/15 01:48
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Get the picture?】

…it means that I understand the situation from what you have told me.

Conversation

A: Why would he want his brother to fail as a manager?

B: He might get a chance to take his brother’s place. Get the picture?

【Get with the program!】

The book says it means start contributing.

It’s used in a workplace or in a scene of a group action. The promise means a plan or rule which all of them try to obey. Though there is an employee or its member who don’t trying to cooperate,it tries to usurp 横取り something good. The phrase is used for the one.

Conversation

A: Come on,Ray! Get with the program! We need everyone’s help.

B: Okay,okay. I got the message.

【Get your act together!】

The book says it means saying to stop fool around.

Instead of taking action unplandedly,think of useful way in which it uses its own competence enough,and do…

No.266 18/09/15 02:20
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Get your act together!】

…and do it in an orderly fashion. The phrase seems to suggest like that.

Conversation

A: I can’t seem to accomplish anything.

B: Get your act together! You have lots of talent. You just need to apply it better.

【Gimme a break!】

The book says it means saying to stop bothering me,or to stop joking around.

Gimme is an abbreviation of give me. There are two ways of using on the phrase.

When being done or said something unpleasant,the phrase is used so as to stop what other says or does.

The other is when being heard something unbelievable,and it was a great shock to them,the phrase is used.

The number of face which shows its frequency is three and angry.

Conversation

A: Haven’t you finished that yet?

B: Gimme a break! I’ve been working hard on it for a week now.

Other conversation

A: I hear Sally is really crazy about you.

B: Gimme a break! She doesn’t even know I’m alive.

No.267 18/09/15 02:52
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Give me five!】

The book says the phrase is used when giving a high five.

The five means fingers in a hand. The high five is a kind of communication in which two people hold up each palm of hand over the head,and put together them each other. The phrase means saying that let’s do the high five.

For example,when winning a game in sports,or winning a lottery ticket,the phrase is used and the high five seems to be done.

The phrase includes a feeling that being pleased with other’s success like congratulation.

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and it smiles.

Conversation

A: Did you see that ball go in the basket?

B: I sure did. Give me five!

【Give me a ring.】

The book says that it asks to telephone later. The ring is the sound of a telephone. Ring me is equal to call me.

Conversation

A: When you find out where the party will be,give me a ring.

B: I’ll call you as soon as I hear anything.

No.268 18/09/23 07:33
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Give you a lift?】

The book said it means,asking,do you want a ride?

The lift is used as the same meaning of a ride,and the phrase is an abbreviation of Can I give you a lift/a ride?

The phrase is the one who drives a car invites others among pals or acquaintances. It’s a casual expression so as not to feel burden for other.

Conversation

A: I’m headed downtown. Give you a lift?

B: Thanks, Bill. That would be great.

【Go fly a kite!】

The book says it orders to go away.

There are lots of expressions like go climb a tree,Go jump in the lake,or Go soak your head. All the phrases mean asking others to get out of here,don’t let me be annoyed.

The phrases say to go away from here to far distant,and please spend your time and attention for something other which isn’t in regard to me.

The number of face which shows its frequency is two and angry.

No.269 18/09/23 16:17
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

To my joy,my back is better than I’ve expected.

【Go fly a kite!】

Conversation

A: Rudy,how about playing catch this afternoon?

B: Go fly a kite! Can’t see you I’m in the middle of painting the garage?

【Go for it.!】

THe book says it means that give it a try! The explanation of the book says it means make a try for it,or don’t give up without making an effort. It was a popular slogan of America in the beginning of the 1980s.

Conversation

A: I’ve decided to ask Mike if he wants to go for dinner with me.

B: That’s the spirit! Go for it!

【Go on.】

The book says it means two kinds. The one means continue,and the other does I don’t believe you.

It mainly means to continue what you do at present,and there is other meaning. It’s that it’s not true,I can’t believe it,or don’t say such a stupid thing. It’s the antonym of the next thing.

Please say what you want more and more,for that silly thing can’t be. That silly…

No.270 18/09/23 17:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Go on】

The phrase remonstrated 諌める that such a silly thing can’t be.

The number of face which shows its frequency is four and ordinary.

Conversation

A: I’m sorry to bore you with my long story.

B: Not at all. Go on. I’m quite interested.

One more conversation

A: I’m sure that he is a spy.

B: Go on! You don’t know what you’re talking about.

【Go to it】

The book says it means go ahead,don’t hold back.

It doesn’t mean to urge to do something alone,but to urge to do it with a will,willingly.

A thing which urges to do is what other wants to do. For example,showing an entertainment for other,and offer the food for the one,or supporting back the one who skies to try to do a straight high speed descent 直滑降,and encouraging a friend who has a thorough knowledge on electricity systematically to try a new computer.

Conversation

A: Wow! That pizza looks delicious!

B: Go to it! There's plenty for everyone

No.271 18/09/29 08:38
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【God forbid】

The book says it means that may God not allow that to happen.

There has been a trend that they shouldn’t talk about the God rashly,but what this phrase is used is no problem at all.

When talking about or hearing something inauspicious 縁起が悪い,others say like that,“It’s all right. The God doesn’t allow such a thing to happen.” It’s a positive phrase toward life.

For example when talking about itself or someone may be involved in a traffic accident,or suffer from serious illness,others who talking about it together use the phrase as if they shook off a bad premonition.

The number of face of which frequency shows is two and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Larry thinks his job may be in danger.

B: God forbid! What would he do if he lost it?

When hearing a rumor that something troublesome happened to their friends.

A: Jean thinks she may be pregnant.

B: God forbid! She can’t raise a child on her own.

【God willing】

The book says it will happen unless the God stops it.

No.272 18/09/29 11:19
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【God willing】

It means that there is a possibility that something happens with high probability. It is the God alone which loses the possibility,so if the God wants to do it,it will certainly happen.

Conversation

A: Will you be able to attend your son’s concert?

B: God willing. I’m really looking forward to it.

One more

A: Going to Hawaii again this summer?

B: God willing. We rent the same condo every year.

【Good for you!】

The book says it means that I’m glad to hear that.

The phrase expresses a praise or encouragement for a thing which was done. Good job or it is well done. It doesn’t use for a possibility in the future.

For example,let’s suppose that someone took the plunge and applied for a new job. Then if saying,“Good for you!”,It’s the praise for a deed of taking the plunge and applying for the new job. Then no one imagine if it can get the new job.

The number of face of which frequency is three.

No.273 18/09/29 12:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Good for you!】

Conversation

A: The short story I wrote was accepted for publication.

B: Good for you! That’s wonderful news,Julia!

【Good going!】

The book says it means that good or good for you.

The phrase is almost the same meaning as good for you,but it’s more casual than the phrase. It’s the progressive form like the going,but it doesn’t mean it’s under way or it’s not the thing in the future.

It’s an admiration or encouragement for that someone has already accomplished.

The number of face of which frequency is three and smiles

Conversation

A: I came in first in the 10km race on Saturday.

Good going,Christian!

【Good grief!】

The book says it’s an expression of surprise and dismay. As the book says it’s a surprise or a slight disappointment. The grief is euphemistic expression for God.

It’s one of favorite phrase which Charlie Brown uses in a book of Snoopy.

The number of face of which frequency is two and ordinary.

Conversation

A:It’s raining pretty hard.

!

No.274 18/10/06 17:56
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Good grief】

Continuation of the last response.

Conversation

B: Good grief! I left my umbrella in my car.

Other conversation in which a light surprise is expressed.

A: Good grief! Where did you get that basket of peaches?

My neighbor’s parents own a peach orchard,and he brought me this huge basket. Want some?

【Good talking to you.】

The book says it means that I’m glad we had a chance to talk.

It’s an abbreviation that it was good talking to you. When having a conversation with others and saying good bye to them,when hanging up,as a kind of greeting,the phrase is used.

The number of face which shows its frequency is three and smile.

Conversation

A: Well,I guess I’d better get back to my office.

B: Good talking to you. Take care,Bill.

A: You do the same. Bye for now.

【Got a minute?】

The book says it means asking that are you free now?

It’s an expression a little casually which is abberiviated from “have you got a minute to talk to me?” It asks us whether or not we have…

No.275 18/10/06 18:27
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Got a minute?】

It asks us whether or not we have free time for talking a little.

A minute means a short time like a just minute,or in a minute. There is other similar expression like asking,do you have time? We tend to confuse it with do you have the time? It asks the time,what time is it?

Whether there is the on the phrase or not,its meaning becomes different,so we should be careful of it.

Conversation

A: Hi,Kurt. Got a minute?

B: Sure,Melanie. What’s up?

【Got me beat.】

The book says it means two kinds. The one means that I don’t know,and the other does being defeated.

The beat means that defeating others,making others be silent,being stumped,or being tired.

A phrase of got me added to the beat,so the expression means that an other defeated me. It has two meanings.

The one is being unable to understand something,in short,I can’t discover its answer,so I’m forced to give it up. I don’t know I’ll do.

No.276 18/10/06 18:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Got me beat.】

One more means that you’ve won it,I give up,or I’m defeated. When playing a game,or competing with other for a trivial thing,the phrase will be used.

Instead of obvious victory or defeat,when saying a ranking on belongings or clothes,difference on abilities,or grading on special ability,the phrase is used. It means that I can’t match that one.

The number of face which means its frequency is two and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Do you have any idea when the next train leaves?

B: Got me beat. I rarely take the train.

One more conversation

A: Got me beat. You’re much better at speaking English than I am.

B: That’s not at all,Yoshio.

【Got to run.】

The book says it means that I have to leave.

If saying I have got to run,it means that I’m in such a hurry that I have to run at once,otherwise I’ll be late for,so I have to depart immediately.

When a native speaker uses the phrase,it seems to sound ガララン.It’s a casual phrase which is used between intimate relation.

No.277 18/10/13 02:11
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Got to run】

The phrase is also used when slamming down the receiver. If someone uses the phrase,even if we can understand it’s an excuse,we should release the person. It’s common sense and consideration.

Conversation

A: Got to run,Wally. It was good talking to you.

B: Same here. Take care.

【Gotcya!】

The book says it means I understand. Leave it to me!

Gotcya is got you,in short it means that I have got you. It’s informal expression,but it’s frequently used in conversation every day. Its pronunciation is close to ガッチャ. The pronunciation becomes the phrase as it is. The phrase has a feeling that I can understand what you mean,and I’m going to do so.

Conversation

A: We need these programs printed up by Friday noon.

B: Gotcya! You can count on it.

【Great balls of fire!】

The book says it means wow! It was used as a line in a movie of Gone with…

No.278 18/10/13 03:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Great balls of fire】

The phrase was used in a line of a movie,Gone with the Wind,and it’s an exclamation which becomes famous after the movie.

It’s also well–known as the title of a hit song which Jerry Lee Lewis sang,in addition,it’s famous for one of sound track on a movie,Stand by Me.

The number of face which shows its frequncy is one and ordinary.

Conversation

A: I just traded in my Toyota for a classic 1957 Chevrolet.

B:Great balls of fire! Why would you want to do something like that?

When listening to an unexpected talk.

A: Did you hear that Karen and Jose are getting married?

B: Great balls of fire! He’s old enough to be her father.

【Great minds think alike】

The book says that they have the same brilliant idea.

It means that intellectual people think of something same simultaneously. When being said a splendid idea which it occurred to them,they said others think the same thing humorously.

When trying to play truant 学校をサボる and to go to see a movie,or it’s …

No.279 18/10/13 07:16
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Great minds think alike】

For example,when trying to playing truant and to go to see a movie,or it’s earlier a little as usual,but the job was over,and drop into a bar for drinking,the phrase will be used.

When thinking up the same thing in rare situation,the phrase is suitable.

Conversation

A: Want to stop by and have a beer on the way home?

B: Great minds think alike. I was just about to ask you the same thing.

【Great Scott!】

The book says it means what⁉️

The phrase is an exclamation for surprising. It’s an euphemistic expression for Great God. The Scott is a famous American serviceman,General Winfield Scott.

Conversation

A: Great Scott. What was that loud sound?

B: Two cars just ran into each other.

【Grin and bear it.】

The book says it means that endure it with good humor and and a smile on your face.

When someone is in difficulty,and…

No.280 18/10/20 02:58
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Grin and beat it】

When someone is in difficulty,and there isn’t any solution for it and he or she is forced to confront the situation,the phrase is used for him or her.

When there is the one who is in the bottom of the difficulty like pain and disappointment,the one is encouraged with the phrase.

Even if you are hard,without complaining,and enduring it with a smile forcibly,the situation will improve. The phrase has a meaning like that.

Grin is smiling,showing its teeth.

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and ordinary

Conversation

A: It’s really hard to work in the same office with Norton.

B: Grin and bear it. Maybe he’ll quit someday soon.

【Guess what?】

The book says it means that listen to me!

If translating it word for word,it means asking what it is,or asking to make guess what it is,but it’s actually the phrase doesn’t ask any question,and not ask to do anything.

It’s a conventional phrase which attracts others’ attention before starting to talk…

No.281 18/10/20 07:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Guess what!】

It’s conventional phrase which attracts others’ attention before starting to talk with others. It resembles Japanese phrase,ねえねえ.

The number of face which shows its frequency is three and ordinary

In general,when answering it,they say,what? Or I don’t know. What?

Conversation

A: Guess what?

B: What?

A: I have two tickets to concert on Saturday. Want to come with me?

【Hang it there!】

The book says it means that keep at it!,or don’t give up!

When cheering up in the middle of the game of basketball or football in America in the 20th century,audience does the players or team like that. The phrase comes from it.

When encouraging others,the phrase is used. It means that saying to endure it or to not to give up it,for it will goes well surely.

Conversation. The phrase is a runner who was running and was out of breath

A: Hang it there! There’s only one more kilometer to go!

No.282 18/10/20 08:59
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Hang it there!】

Conversation

A: I just don’t know how to deal with my family problem.

B: Hang it there! These things take time.

【Hang on.】

The book says it means asking to wait a minute. With a meaning of a little more,the phrase is often used like hang on a minute,or hang on a sec.

If being spoken to when being engaged in a job which they were forced to spend all their time,or make others wait a minute when getting another on the phone,the phrase is used.

It means that if wait a minute,I’ll take action with you,or I can do what I do.

Hang up which is apt to confuse with the hang on. When getting a person on the phone.we should be care careful of it.

The number of face of which frequency shows two and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Jerry,got a minute?

B: Hang on. Let me finish this call.

When calling a person who goes for a meal to stop and let it wait a moment.

A: Are you heading out for lunch?

B: Yes.

A: Hang on,and I’ll go with you.

【Have a ball】

The book says it…

No.283 18/10/27 18:53
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Have a ball!】

The book says that have a great time!

The ball is an American slang,and it means a pleasant time extremely. If saying it in more American way and more sophiscated,Hawaii was a ball. It means the one who say the phrase enjoyed itself in Hawaii.

In general,it's used for a greeting when parting from others.

The phrase is used with a feeling that at a party and in an weekend which others will go through enjoy themselves as if you prayed it.

Conversation

A: You are going for Bali tonight,aren’t you? Well,have a ball.

B: Thanks I’m sure I will.

One more conversation. A greeting for a friend who goes for a trip.

A: I will call you when I get back from Banff.

B: Great. Have a ball.

【Have a heart.】

The book says that give me some sympathy,or go easy on me.

The heart is a feeling,a kind feeling. The phrase means that owning a kind feeling and sympathize me and overlook my action.

No.284 18/10/27 19:15
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Have a heart.】

The phrase resembles a Japanese one,どうか御慈悲を when asking others for mercy.

The number of face of which frequency is one and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Matt,you’re not doing you job,so I have to let you go.

B: Have a heart! GIve me another chance!

【Have a go at it.】

The book says it means that give it a try.

In this situation,the go is noun of trial for something. The phrase suggests that the person should challenge it.

When it doesn’t go well,don’t mind,please. Anyway,challenge it.please,the phrase encourages like that for a person who tries to do something for the first time.

The number of face of which frequency is three and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Jane said he’d teach me to parasail,but I’m a little anxious about trying.

B: Have a go at it. He’s a good teacher and he’ll make sure you do it safely.

【Have at it!】

The book says it means that go ahead and start eating. Go ahead and eat it.

It’s a casual expression for family members or close friend.

No.285 18/10/27 19:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Have at it!】

In a situation of a meal,it’s an expression that it allows others to start to eat foods on the table.

It resemble a phrase that an owner of a dog permits its dog to eat its feed.

The phrase of having at means attack. Have at it has an nuance of ordering to do it or suggesting that a person do it.

Excep for a situation of the meal,when someone wants to do something,for example when asking,trying to get an answer from others like the next,“can I borrow your dictionary? ”Or “Is it OK if I use your phone? ”Or “Mind if I turn on the radio?”

Conversation

A: Gee! The pizza looks great.

B: Have at it.

【Have it your way.】

The book says it means that do as you wish.

The way of saying of a speaker shows its irritated feeling. For example,when having different opinion or thought from others,and thinking you can’t compromise them at all,you let others’ thoughts pass so as to avoid a quarrel.

The phrase shows you…

No.286 18/10/30 11:18
社会人286 

Hello again, Mr.銀三!It's Mr.Lemon(Dr.Creepy). I haven'visited here for quite a long time. Have you stopped drinkng? Let me take a wild
guess, you haven't. Hahaha!But you can stop drinkng with your psychic power(It's a joke).

It's fortunate for you that the man's pleasure
center in the brain is insensitive than that of woman's. It means it's easy for you to shake it off.

When I was a child, I would believe in the existence of psychic powers and psychics. Metal spoons turned liquid in the hands of psychics. They were spaghettified! Wow! I didn't have a sharp eye for a trick,then. Do psychic powers exist? I don't believe them any more. Google "James Randi Million Dollar challenge” videos on the internet! They might improve your English proficiency and help you to know the truth of psychic powers.

The "Amazing" Randi has spent lots of years debunking psychic claims. Now his junior Banackek is taking over Randi's responsibilities.

また、いつか来ます。膝はどうですか?

Take care!

No.287 18/10/30 19:53
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

To 286、社会人さん which meas Mr.Lemon.

Thank you for your message.

As you expected I can't stop drinking easily,but I’ve tried to avoid drinking,so the amount of drinking decreases,maybe.

My age is close to my sixtieth birthday,so neglecting my health like lots of drinking makes May health ruin,so I’m sure I must be careful,though I find it silly.

I’m not sure whether or not there are psychic powers,but if denying all of things altogether,I find it insipid.

Whether or not it’s true isn’t important for me. If it makes me have a good time,it’s all right as long as it doesn’t make plenty of people be troubled extremely. It depends,but I’m sorry for his Junior. He has nothing to do with it,except that the problem is he has a worthless father.

To my joy,my knee has improved little by little. Though it’s a hackneyed word,nothing is more important than health. Thank you very much.

Whenever you want to come here,please do it. You are welcome.

No.288 18/11/03 17:22
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Have it your way】

The phrase indicates that you don’t agree with others at all. It's an emotional way in which the one is angry with something.

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and angry.

Conversation

A: I don’t mind spending $ 180 for a hotel for one night.

B: But I think we should save on the hotel to have more money for eating out.

A: OK. Have it you way.

【Heads or tails?】

The book says it means asking,which side of the coin do you choose?

When there are two options or two opinions between the two people,they toss a coin,and bet whether the coin is tails or heads,and decided which one they choose.

It seems that it's equivalent to the Japanese game of scissors,paper,and rock in which the players indicate one of the three choices by a gesture.

At first they say,“Let’s flip a coin.”,and one of them tossed up a coin in the air. It seems that almost all of the people have seen the scene in a movie or TV drama. They choose the coin was tails or heads until …

No.289 18/11/03 17:51
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Heads or tails?】

They chose whether the coin was tails or heads until the coin fell on the ground. The one who flipped the coin is usually the one who chose the later,the one who didn’t flip the coin chose the first.

When flipping the coin,they don’t only fall the coin on the ground,but received it at the back of the hand until the bet was over.

The winner for the bet is the one whose choice is equal to the situation on the coin.

As to the American coins,there is an image on an upper part of a well known person on the heads 表,and images of birds or animals are etched on the tails on the coins.

By the way,instead of singular forms,why do they use the plural form like heads or tails? Though they tossed a single coin.

The number of face of which frequency is four and it smiles.

Conversation

A: Let’s flip a coin to see who gets the bigger piece of pie. Heads or tails?

B: Heads!

A: [flipped the coin]Heads. You win. Here’s the big piece.

【Heads up!】

The book says it means…

No.290 18/11/10 20:17
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Heads up!】

The book says it means that a warning,saybig danger!,or watch out!

It’s a warning that something external dangerous is approaching a person. The person who was received the warning looked up overhead,and recognize a place where there is danger,and it moved to a safe place.

As to the danger in this case,an automobile or a bicycle are approaching,there is a big hole on the road in front of the person,or there is an obstacle in front of the person and so on.

No one needs to think of a polite way of saying then. First of all shouting as short phrase as possible to the person,and makes it recognize the situation as fast as possible.

Conversation

A:Heads up!

B:Thanks. I didn’t know that crane was swinging this way.

【Hell with that!】

The book says it means that I don’t like that,or I refuse to do that.

It will be less likely to cause trouble not to use the phrase to others,but it seems that we’ll hear…

No.291 18/11/10 20:44
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Hell with that!】

…but it seems that we hear others say it,so we should understand its meaning,or if using heck which is euphemistic 婉曲 expression of hell,and changing the way of saying,heck with that,it’s all right.

To be exact,the expression is to hell with that. It means saying to go to hell with it. It means hating,or disliking something,or hating to do it.The way of saying is strong,but the phrase doesn’t offend others.

The number of face which shows its frequency is two and angry.

Conversation

A:I just heard we’re supposed to work late tonight.

B:Hell with it. I’ve got two front row tickets for Knicks tonight.

【Help yourself】

The book says it means that please take what you want without permission.

It’s a standard phrase which recommends something to others,or permits to do something.

In general,it’s frequently used when having a meal. It means that without hesitating at all,please take what you want for yourself at will.

In other cases when being asked to show or…

No.292 18/11/24 20:55
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Help yourself】

In other case when being asked to show something or to lend something,they permit others to do with the phrase. It’s so polite expression that they can use it everyone,everywhere. If adding to please,the phrase will be better.

Conversation

A:Would you mind if I looked at your CD collection?

B :Help yourself. You’re welcome to borrow anything I have.

【Here or to go?】

The book says it means asking,will you be eating that here or taking it out?

Speaking of taking back something in a shop in Japan,we call it take out. Though it isn’t in the wrong,but to go is the mainstream in the center of the English.

In a shop of first food where a Hamburg or sandwich are sold,when ordering something,a sales clerk always asks customers like that.

Here means being in the shop,eating it in the shop,and to go means buying it and eating it at home.

The place is the firs food,so they intend to tell the customers…

No.293 18/11/24 21:23
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Here to go?】

The place is the first food,so they intend to tell the customers their message as fast as they can,the book is wondering.

Needless to say,the customers answer briefly like,here,for here,or to go. There is other way of saying,for here or to go. I’m going to express it in the future.

The number of face which shows its frequency is three and ordinary

Conversation

A:Here to go?

B:To go,please.

【Here we go again.】

The book says it means asking,are we going to repeat this again?

A story,discussion,opinion,and experience which they’ve heard before,or other thing which has already settled or which they’ve never wanted to hear any more were brought up,the phrase is used with an irritation.

It is always used among family members or close friends. If saying it in Japanese,it means that I’m tired of it, stop it.

If using it for its superior direct,the one who uses it will be in trouble,so please be careful of it. As long as using it behind its back,it’s all right,though…

No.294 18/11/24 21:50
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Here we go again】

…though saying something its behind is shameful,I’m wondering.

The number of face which shows its frequency is one and is angry.

Conversation

A:I still think you should have taken that job in New York.

B:Here we go again. Why do you have to keep going back to that subject?

【Here you are.】

The book says it means that I’ve been looking for you,or this is for you.

The phrase has two meanings. The one is when looking for someone and finding the person at last,they say like the next,Here you are! I’ve been looking all over for you.

The other is when handing someone something,the phrase is used. It’s a kind of conventional phrase,so it isn’t anything meaningful.

There are similar ways of saying,here you go,there you are,or there you go.

Conversation

A:Hi,Joan!

B:Mary! Here you are! I’ve been looking all over for you.

Other one.

A:Could I have a bag of potato chips and a cola.please?

B:Here…

No.295 18/12/02 12:22
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Here you are.】

Other conversation

A:Could I have a bag of potato chips and a cola,please?

B:Here you are. That’ll be $1.37,please.

【Here you go.】

The book says it means that this is for you.

When being asked to do something by someone,or when having brought something necessary to someone,and handing it to him or her,or putting it in front of him,or her,the phrase is used.

After the people who serve at table in restaurant received an order from a customer,they carried the dish and put it on the table,the phrase is also used then.

The word of go is used,but it doesn’t always mean moving somewhere. It means urging others to do the next action like,“Please help yourself to it.”,or “Please use it.”

Conversation

A:Can I look at your New York Times,Walter?

B:Sure. Here you go.

【Here’s to you!】

The book says it cheer! Saying toast when started drinking.

While it’s short,but it’s not too casual,and is suitable…

No.296 18/12/02 12:55
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Here’s to you!】

While it’s short,it’s not too casual,and it’s a suitable call when starting drinking. That has a nuance that they toast your health and your prosperity. The way of saying is inconspicuous and favorable.

The number of face which means its frequency is two and smile.

Conversation

A:Here you are. Here’s to you!

B:Thanks. Cheers!

【Hi,there!】

The book says it means Hi! How are you? It’s a greeting which is easy to use. When seeing there is the one who they’ve got to know,the phrase is used.

It’s a friendly expression. It’s sometimes used for the one who they met the first time,but it has such a strong relaxed impression that they seem to avoid using it to superiors.

The number of face which means its frequency is four and ordinary.

Conversation

A:Rita! What are you doing here?

B:Hi,there! I just came to see the new shops.

【Hit the books.】

The book says it means time to study! You’d better study.

The phrase has been used among students…

No.297 18/12/02 13:41
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Hit the books.】

The phrase has been used among students everyday of which meaning is studying very hard as an idiom.

When parents order their children who wants not to study with the phrase,or students in college encourage other students to study,the phrase is used.

Number of face which means its frequency is two and ordinary.

A:Hit the books. You want to graduate,don’t you?

B:Yeah,but I sure am tired after that party last night.

【Hit the road.】

The book says it means time to go.

The phrase originally means getting on the road and start moving down it,but it’s frequently used to the one who is about to be late for,saying,“Depart from here at once,or you’ll be late for it.”or,“Hurry up!”

Or they use the phrase for the one who was in the way for them,urging it to move fast.

Conversation

A:You are going to be late for your train. Hit the road!

B:Okay,I’ll call you tomorrow. Good night.

【Hiyadoin’?】

The book says…

No.298 18/12/30 13:56
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Hiyadoin’?】

The book says it asks,how are you doing? Or how are you?

When exchanging greetings in the U.S.A.its one of phrases which is the most used. The phrase that how are you doing is connected and becomes a single word.

When the phrase was used they heard it say ハイヤードウイング?,so they expressed it as they heard,and it becomes a word,and when expressing it with letters,it’s learned to be used like that.

Its original meaning is when exchanging greeting,asking others,how are you?,but it becomes unclear gradually. The phrase seems to ask varied things like a healthy condition,job,or other’s situation everyday life.

When answering it,in general they say fine,thank you,and you? Or not bad. How about you?

The number of face which means its frequency is five and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Hey,Frank. Hiyadoin’?

B: Pretty good,considering the hot weather. How about you?

【Hold everything!】

The book says the phrase means that stop everything! Or wait a minute!

No.299 18/12/30 15:46
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Hold everything】

It means stop everything,stop everyone.

When saying this phrase,a problem which they had to deal with at once happened,and they wanted others to pay attention,or offering cooperation from others,so the phrase is used.

Or something inconvenient happened or falling into a bad situation,and wanting to start from the beginning,they feel like using the phrase.

The number of face which means its frequency is two and ordinary.

Conversation

A : Hold everything! Who has the house keys?

B : I don’t. I thought you had them.

【Hold it right there!】

The book says it means saying wait a second!

The phrase looks like the previous phrase.hold everything,but this phrase is stronger expression than the previous one.

It would be rather that a strong dissatisfaction grew stronger and make a protest than say to stop and listen to me.

The number of face which means its frequency is two and angry.

Conversation

A: We’d like you to help us with decorating.

B: Hold it…

No.300 18/12/30 16:14
燻し銀三 ( 50代 ♂ Oe38xe )

【Hold it right there!】

Conversation

B: Hold it right there! I’m already in charge of publicity and selling tickets. I don’t have time to work on decorating.

【Hold your horses】

The book says it has two meanings. The one is be patient and the other is don’t jump to conclusions.

It’s a piece of advice that when starting something,don’t make a haste and don’t be impatient. It originates from the time when a local horse race was done in the U.S.A.

When a jockey on the horse was on a starting line,the one who gives an order to start said to the jockies to rein a horse so as not to make the horse advance overly.

It's developed into other meaning that without making haste,controlling itself,or being calm and starting something.

The number of face which means its frequency is three and ordinary.

Conversation

A: Come on! Let’s hit the road!

B: Hold your horses. We’ve got plenty of time.

Other one

A: When will I ever find a job?

B: Hold your horses. You’ll find one,but it takes time

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

新しいレスの受付は終了しました

つぶやき掲示板のスレ一覧

日常のつぶやきはこちらで。日々の中で感じた事をポツリとつぶやいてみませんか❓

• レス新
  • 人気