注目の話題
ひねくれてますか?
いじめなのか本当に息子が悪いのか
言い方とか、誹謗中傷等したりはやめて下さい。原因はなんだろね

【English unfamiliar phrases】

レス181 HIT数 7663 あ+ あ-

遊び人( 50代 ♂ )
16/03/13 09:41(更新日時)

There seem to be plenty of English phrases which they frequently use their everyday lives,but they have never been printed in English dictionary.😃

I'm going to express this thread,being based in a book,『日常会話なのに辞書にのっていない英語の本』The next remarks are quoted from a preface of the book.Its author said like the next.☝

Its her experience when she visited the U.S.A.for the first time.She was waiting for her friend in her rental car near an express exit in Los Angeles.She became aware that a policeman who had a good physique looked into her car.👮

He said to her.“Pull over there”but she couldn't grasp what he meant.She was so confused that she babbled out.She wanted to say that she was waiting for her friend,but she ended up saying“I just want a friend.”😳

He spat out“Move it, anyway!”behaved himself as if he had driven her away,with his mouth wide open.👮

However,she may have been lucky,for there were a lot of ill-natured policemen,they made citizens have bitter experiences,for example…😱

To be continued.🙋

15/03/08 10:06 追記
To my sorrow,this thread approches an end.Even if having not reached 500 threads,I'll give up this thread.Thank you very much everyone.🙌

15/03/22 22:15 追記
This thread was over,but I'm gonna to build other thread next Sunday,it's English one,of course.🙋

No.2054633 14/01/26 23:28(スレ作成日時)

投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋

No.1 14/02/02 10:51
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

【Continuation】

Some of them were taken to a police box on account of trifling violations of traffic regulation,others were locked up in jail owing to a retort.👮

The author got acquainted with an American in Japan and got married to him.She had never lived in a foreign country,nor gone abroad to study until then.As for English,she was an ordinary one which had knowledge on English textbooks and reference books for taking entrance exam.🔤

However,after her marriage,she learned to live in the U.S.A.for the first time.She went on regretting and breaking into cold sweat in the foreign country.😱

She repent of not having studied English very much when being a student,but in fact even if she had learned English harder with the textbooks,she would have found it hard to lead her life in the U.S.A.🇺

There are plenty of expressions which are beyond our imagination in spite of using simple phrases.Americans' conversations everyday are like that.💦

No.2 14/02/02 11:40
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 1 【Continuation】

A young man asked her suddenly like the next.

“Do you have the time?”

She thought he tried to pick up a woman so as to play around with it,but it's just that he wanted to know what time it is.😳

Other asked her like the next.

“Do you have a light?”

Without realizing it,she looked up at the sun overhead,but it's just that he wanted to smoke,so he needed a light.🚬

They are little problems,but some Japanese suffered heavy damage,and others were involved in an unnecessary trouble thanks to misunderstanding of American people for careless remarks of Japanese ones,even if we Japanese meant no offense.😥

As for the phrases,the easier,and more they use in American daily life,the more complicated.The author doesn't think her single book can have all of the unfamiliar expressions,but she hopes that her book helps everyday life of the people who visit America.😃

They are a preface of the book,『日常会話なのに辞書にのっていない英語の本』I'm going to start its main subject from the next response.🙌

No.3 14/02/02 21:19
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

【If someone says to us“Hold up!”…】

The phrase of hold up doesn't always mean raising its hands.If you misunderstand like that,you will be shocked with the phrase.😃

When calling a person who walks in front of us to stop,the phrase is adopted.For example,when someone is walking,and happens to drop something,other who picks it up uses the phrase.“Hold up!”☺

Synonyms.

Hold on!

Hold it!

Wait up!

【Hey buddy!】

The word of buddy means pal or partner.The phrase is equivalent to “Hi!”

The phrase is usually used among males.When calling someone who is far away,they accentuate the word of buddy.🙋

【You guys!】

The word of a guy basically means a male,but when using the phrase,if a female is included,there is no problem.The phrase is frequently adopted among couples,or family members.👪

When using a word of you,it has the same form in both the singular and the plural,so we can't always recognize its number.If they are plural,they adopt the next phrases.

You all!

You folks!

No.4 14/02/09 07:45
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 3 【If someone tells us to hold up…】

《Ma'am!》

It's an abbreviation of Madam.In general,when calling to a female,we adopt the word.It's expressed with the madame in French,but it's the madam in English.👩

《Sir.》

Originally,when using the word for our superior ones like our master,a teacher and Excellencxy ,but we usually adopt the word when calling to a male whose name we can't recognize.👨

【Difference between begging and change】

《Do you have a light?》

When smoking in the open air,someone frequently calls to us.Needless to say,it doesn't always mean that it asks us whether or not we have something twinkling.😃

It's just that it wants to smoke.It's all right if it's a match,or lighter.🚬

《Do you have the time?》

Some of us may take a defensive posture,for we misunderstand we were invited to do something,but it's just that others want to know what time it was.💦

If wanting to invite us,they never put『the』in front of time.😃

『Synonym.』

Could you tell me the time?

No.5 14/02/09 08:28
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 4 【Difference between begging and change】

《Do you have the time?》

An American calls to a foreigner or traveler casually.It usually calls to even a Japanese traveler.When it asks us“Can you tell me the way?”if we aren't sure of it,we should answer like the next.😃

I'm afraid I'm a stranger here too.

I'm from out of town.

I'm not from here.

In a word,it means that we are strangers,so we aren't sure of it.😚

《Can you spare some change?》

The change means small ones.The spare is parting with it others.The phrase is begging.They suddenly call to us near a station,in front of the entrance of a bank,or on the street.😚

We should disregard them,but if we can't,a coin of quarter is appropriate for it.Some of us always have several quarters in the pocket with them in order to prevent them from being worried about it.😱

No.6 14/02/09 21:39
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 5 【Difference between begging and change】

《Got a quarter?》

A quarter is one-fourth of a dollar.In a word,it's a coin of 25cent.Without realizing it,if saying yes,we'll be forced to hand a quarter to them.💸

By the way,a dime is a coin of 10cent,a nickel is the one of 5cent,and a penny is the one of 1cent.Its synonym is“Help the homeless.”It means that give me money.💰

《Do you have change?》

If someone calls to you at a bus stop or near a parking meter,it doesn't intend to beg money from you.😃

When comparing the former phrase of“Can you spare some change?”with this one,they are confusing,but we can recognize the difference,judging from the situation.☝

If it's not the begging,the person will offer you a bill of 1dollar.💰

They usually use the coin of 25cent for a vending machine or parking meter.Without the quarter,they won't lead everyday life in the U.S.A.🇺

By the way,I've never been to the U.S.A.and I won't in the future,so I don't have to be worried about the begging.😂

No.7 14/02/16 12:09
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 6 【Difference between begging and change】

『Can you change a buck?』

It means a request for changing a bill into small change.The buck is a bill of one dollar.It originally means a hide of a deer.Long long ago,when trading with native Americans,the buck used to be adopted then.😃

【When running into someone in front of a door,let's say “Go ahead!”】

I've been expressed my English,being based on a book,『日常会話なのに辞書にのってない英語の本』.There are some illustrations in regard to the unfamiliar phrases like the next.

There is a river in front of two tourists.There is a log bridge across the river.They have to go to the opposite bank of the river,but there is a crocodile in the middle of the log bridge!😱

As a result,they try to concede their turns each other.They said.“Go ahead”“After you”😚

I'm wondering if no one tries to go ahead!😁

『After you.』

When coming across other at the entrance of a building or when trying to get on a vehicle,if coming face to face with another,they frequently use the phrase.

No.8 14/02/16 14:12
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 7 【When running into someone in front of a door,let's say“Go ahead!”】

『After you』             
There are plenty of males who hold a door and wait for a female to pass it through.It's a kind of what is called “Lady First”I'm sure.👩

If other come after you at once,we have to hold the door and wait for it.It's a common sense.😃

『Go ahead』

The phrase has been adopted in varied situations,it basically means giving its turn to other.🙋

『Age before beauty』

They don't use the phrase for a complete stranger.They made a parody of a phrase,what we call『Lady First』into other.👩

However it originally means that while you are a male,you are very old,so I recommend you shoujd do it before a female.👴

The custom of 『Lady First』itself has been out of date recently.Whether the male or female doesn't matter very much nowadays.The aged or fragile should take priority over all other ones.It's the common sense.😃

The males whn feel at ease each other use the phrase as a joke like the next.

To be continued.🐶

No.9 14/02/16 18:16
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 8 【When running into someone in front of a door,let's say“go ahead!”】

『Age before beauty』
          Its nuance is like that.“While I'm more good-looking than you,you are by far older than I,so please go ahead!😁

When someone who is older than we say,“Go ahead”,we sometimes give our turns to it,and say“Age before beauty”👴

If we are older,we'll be able to go ahead,using the phrase.In any case,the older takes presedence all over others.👴

『I'll get the door.』

When holding plenty of its belongings,or pushing a baby carriage,the others near you approach and call to you,and say.“I'll get the door”🙋

It means that I'll open or shut the door for you.Comparing with Japan,there are a few automatic doors in the U.S.A.so,the kindness is very helpful there.☺

When showing our thanks to him or her,we say“Oh,thank you.”or“That's very kind of you.”😃

If wanting to ask someone to do it,we should say like the next.“Could you get the door,please?”☝

No.10 14/02/22 23:45
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 9 【“Shake it!”means hurry up,and“Move it”you are in my way!】

There are plenty of illustrations in the book,『日常会話なのに辞書にのってない英語の本』.I'm going to show you them.One of them is like the next.🔤

A lot of red blood corpuscles 赤血球 are moving through a blood vessel.There happens to be comparatively a bigger red blood corpuscle.It's so big that it prevents others behind the big one from going ahead.⚠

Another red blood corpuscles come one after another,so if the situation continues,the blood vessel is stopped up and the owner of the blood vessel will be dead.💀

Except for the bigger one,each red blood corpuscle say unanimously 異口同音に like the next.“Shake it!”or“Move it!”😱

《Make way!》

It means that make room for me,or get out of my way.When being in a crowded store,or on the crowded street,there sometimes happened to be a person who cries the phrase aloud goes ahead,pushing its way through the crowd.🐶

Synonym

Heads up!

Excuse me!

Watch out!

No.11 14/02/23 00:29
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 10 【“Shake it!”means that hurry up!”and“Move it”you are in the way!】

《Make way》

There is an unique impression of“Gang way!”to which is also similar,but it's been so old a little that few people have adopted it lately.😃

《Scoot over.》

It means sit a little closer.When a lot of people sit on a long bench in a line like seats in a bus,or the ones in a football stadium,it seems that we've frequently heard it.🏈

The word of scoot originally means running,or running at full speed.🏃💨

Synonym

Move over, please.
Slide over.

《May I join you?》

It means that asking you whether or not you agree to share your table.In other words it also means that asking you whether or not you assent to sit with other at the same table.🐱

Synonym.

May I share this table?

《Do you mind?》

It's an abbreviation of“Would you mind stopping that?”

Instead of saying like a question,if saying to you in a sharp tone,it means a protest.😫

No.12 14/03/02 07:58
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 11 【“Shake it!”means that hurry up,and “Move it”you are in the way!】

《Do you mind?》

We are apt to receive a protest with the phrase when watching a movie in a movie theater,chatting with a friend,or when trying to get into a train,or bus,we shoved others aside.😳

We should say then like the next.“I'm sorry.”

《You want to make something of it?》

When happening to make a protest to a tough guy with the phrase of“Do you mind?”it is apt to make a counterattack on us with the phrase,“You want to make something of it?”Then the『something』exactly means fight itself!🆚

When being in a crowded space,a quarrel is liable to happen on the space for parking a car,or taking the seat.Considering that we look to our safety,we should give up from the situation silently with the phrase.“Forget it.”

《Chill!》

When making noise,or speaking loudly in a public place,others criticize us for it.😩

The chill originally means that lets a heat cool,so it also has other meaning.😃

No.13 14/03/02 08:51
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 12 【“Shake it”means that hurry up! and“Move it!”you are in the way!】

《Chill!》

We sometimes use the phrase,“Chill!”for a person who is burning with anger.😚

Synonym

Calm down!

Cool down!

Cool it!

《Shake it!》

If being ordered to do like that,we aren't sure what to do.I'm wondering what we should swing in the world!😥

In fact,it's an abbreviations of“Shake your legs!”or“Shake your buns!”In short,it means that get out of the place quickly!☝

In spite that others line up behind us,if trying not to move at all,or walking slowly,they'll give us sharp reprimand like that.😳

As a rule,comparing with us the Japanese,the Americans are tolerant of waiting for something,but there happens to be a person of quick temper among them.💦

Synonym

Make it snappy!

Hurry up!

《Move it!》

If others say to us like that,without realizing it,we may be worried about it.In short,the『it』which disturbs them is ourselves.😱

No.14 14/03/02 11:40
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 13 【“Shake it”means that hurry up! and“Move it”you are in the way】

《Move it!》

If walking slowly in a narrow street,and preventing others from passing through there,they criticize us with the phrase.Needless to say,it's an impolite phrase.😒

《Whoa!》

It's originally a term for horseback riding.According to situation.or the one who we adopt,its meaning is different.If shouting the phrase in a strong tone,it means stop.If being in a soft tone,it means that calm down.🐎

When trying to soothe a person who get drunken,and acts violently,or to calm down a child who is so excited that it runs about,they use the phrase for them.👶

In short,if they use the phrase for us,we are equal to the drunkard and child.😳

When drinking with others,if offering another glass of beer,we can block our glasses with our hand,and refuse it with the next phrase.“Whoa!That's enough”🍻

【Watch out! means a warning which may threaten our lives】

To be continued.Bye😃

No.15 14/03/02 12:23
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 14 【Watch out means a caution which may threaten to our lives】

There is an illustration like the next.😃

When a man was having a meal in a restaurant,a chandelier on the ceiling was about to fall on him.Then others shouted him.“Watch out!” but he couldn't understand what it meant,for he misunderstood it.He thought it to look outside…!😨

Needless to say,the phrase doesn't mean look at the outside.It's an ordinary warning when telling others their danger.😃

The phrase has been adopted in various situations.For instance,from a situation in which being about to knock a glass over to other one in which gigantic rock is about to fall on us.🍷

We can grasp how perilous they are with a tone of the warning.Whether or not the warning is aloud.😚

If others say the phrase to you,you should stop your behavior for a while,and make sure your situations.If driving a car,you should brake.🚗

Synonym

Look out!

Watch it!

No.16 14/03/09 13:19
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 15 【Watch out means a caution which may threaten to our lives】

《Behind you!》

It's a caution in which something dangerous is approaching from our backs.When other uses the phrase for us,we should look back and make sure of its situation.😃

《Heads up!》

For instance,when watching a baseball game in a stadium,a foul ball flew toward us,or a disc for Frisbee flew at us in a park,the phrase is adopted.⚾

It doesn't always mean looking up at,it is frequently,if anything,something perilous gets close to us from an upper part.😱

However,if it's so dangerous that our lives are exposed to the danger,other phrase,『watch out!』will be used.By the way, speaking of『 heads up play!』in a baseball game,it means what is called ファイン・プレイ which we Japanese frequently adopt everyday life.⚾

《Hold it!》

Anyone doesn't order us to grasp something.The word of『hold』has a meaning of maintaining present position or situation.

The phrase means stop!

No.17 14/03/09 20:36
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 16 【Watch out means a caution which may threaten our lives】

《Hold it!》

When someone tries to do something,if we want to stop it,we'll shout at the person,using the phrase.

Synonym

Hold it right there!

Stop!

Stop right there!

《Halt!》

Its origin of a word is hold.It's not English but German.It's almost as same as“Hold it!”

If saying“Halt,who goes there,”it's a conventional phrase of“Stop,who are you?”

Though it's too old-fashioned,when a guard in an armed force witnesses a dubious character,the phrase was shouted.When watching a war movie,we sometimes come across the phrase.

The phrase is so familiar with English native speakers that they often use it as a joke.

【Make my day!】

It means that Stop!Don't move! or if you want to do it,try it!

In a movie of Dirty Harry,Clint Eastwood said when he ready his gun.“Go ahead,make my day!”It's also an conventional impression.🔫

In the movie,it meant that if you can move,do it.I'm ready to shoot you!It was a menace.🔫

No.18 14/03/09 21:27
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 17 【Watch out means a caution which may threaten our lives】

《Make my day!》

A murder case of shooting an overseas international student to death has made“Freeze!”well-known to us the Japanese.

The word is special and adopted with only in a gangster movie,or TV program in relation to the police.👮

The basic meaning of“Make my day”is something makes our days nice.

《“Pull the car over.”If being caught with a policeman,we may be said like that.》

There is an illustration like that.Someone said“Pull the car over”The other seemed to try to obey it,I'm wondering.

There is a rope around its waist,and other end of the rope was tied with his car.He tried to pull the car with the rope.🚗

He was so strong that the car was moving very slowly.By the way,needless to say,the meaning of“pull the car over”is different.

It means that park your car over there.🚗

《Pull over there.》

When driving,if being caught with a speed violation,or ignoring a red light,a police'll say like that.🚥

No.19 14/03/16 07:34
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 18 【Watch out means that a caution which may threaten our lives】

《Pull over there.》

Pull over means parking our cars at one side on the road.🚗

《Where's the fire?》

If translating it word for word,it means that“ where did the fire break out?”

Exactly,“what made you make a haste so much?”When being caught with a speeding offense,a policeman will frequent say like that.👮

Then we should apologize to it for our mistake obediently.If thinking that being said to us a joke,we tried to response with the joke,we'll have a bitter experience.😨

All American policemen aren't dreadful,but some of them are actually are.😱

《Keep moving》

If parking our cars at a no-parking area,the policeman will come there,and drive us away as if he treated us a nuisance.😒

It means that go away,or we must not park our cars there.👮

《Show me your license.》

When being caught at a traffic checkpoint,or with a violation of traffic regulation,the policeman will certainly claim for it.👮

No.20 14/03/16 20:25
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 19 【Watch out means a caution which may threaten our lives】

Some people say we must not put our hands in the pocket,nor in the dashboard of a car,but in this case,it's all right.😃

Synonym

License and registration.

If driving a rental car,you only have to show its written contract.🚗

【Hands behind your head!】

When being caught with a dubious behavior,the policeman says.👮

Speaking of ordering to raise our hands,some Japanese people feel sure it's“Hold up!”but it's in the wrong.☝

When adopting『 holdup』as a noun,it means a rubbery,or burglary.When using the phrase as a verb like that,“Hold your hands up!”it means ordering to raise your hands,but hardly any policemen use the phrase recently.👮

Synonym

Put your hands behind your head and leave them there!

《Put your hands on the car!》

When driving a car,if being caught with the policeman,he sometimes orders us to do it.

Needless to say,we should put our hands on the roof or hood of the car obediently then.🚗

No.21 14/03/16 21:03
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 20 【Watch out means a caution which may threaten our lives】

《Spread your legs!》

The policeman says to us after the previous phrase,“Put your hands on the car!”When receiving a body research,it's a basic posture in which we put both of our hands on the car and stand,spreading our legs.

We shouldn't do an extra movements until the body search is over.If trying to put our hands in the pocket,or in the dashboard then,there is a fear of the policeman's misunderstanding.He is apt to doubt if we take out something dangerous like an weapon.🔫

《Vamoose!》

Its origin of the word is the Spanish.It originally means that let's go! but,it's an order of going away,or learning here in English.🔤

For example,when going into an area forbidden to enter,its manager or the policeman say like that.“You shouldn't be here.Vamoose!”👮

By the way,even if trying to express those unfamiliar phrases,without using them,we are liable to forget them.To my sorrow,I have few chances to use them.😥

No.22 14/03/23 12:06
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

【Don't tell a soul…】

We Japanese who aren't familiar with the phrases can't understand a first one,but without recognizing it,we can't start our conversation…😱

An English native speaker whispered a phrase of“Don't tell a soul…”to a Japanese female,but she was confused with the phrase.When hearing the word of『soul』the next scene occurred to her.☝

There is a cemetery at night.There are plenty of tombs there.Some spirits of the dead people 人魂 are floating in the cemetery.They seem to sing songs.There is also a black person there.He also sings a song passionately.Their songs are soul music.👻

Speaking of a soul,we Japanese are apt to imagine like that,I'm wondering😚

I'm going to express its meaning in detail later.😁

《Howdy》

It's a very casual word for greeting in everyday conversation.It's an abbreviation of“ how do ye do?”The ye is an archaic word 古語 of you.😃

Cowboys used to adopt the phrase in the western area in the U.S.A.It has spread among other people.🐮

No.23 14/03/23 13:42
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 22 《Howdy》

Synonym

Hiya.It's an abbreviation of“Hi,you.”😃

“Hey,you”resembles it,but“Hey you”is a little rudeness.It has nuance of『おい、そこのお前』in the Japanese.If calling from a distant place,it's all right.👍

《Just the person!》

The moment seeing someone,it said like that.It's an abbreviation that just the person it wanted to see.

Synonym

You're just the person!

《Fancy meeting you here!》

When happening to come across an unexpected person at an unexpected place,we use the phrase.It means that“What a surprise to meet you here!”

The fancy means a verb of imagine,or daydream.“Fancy that”means imagine it,or think of it.😺

Synonym

Imagine meeting you here!

When responding to it,we say“You,too”        
In this situation,“It's a small world!”used to be a stock phrase 常套句,but we seldom use it lately.☝

《What do you know?》

If someone suddenly asks what we know,in fact we can't understand what the person is intend to do.😚

It means that“How are you?”😃

No.24 14/03/23 23:18
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 23 《What do you know?》

When replying to it,we do like the next.

Nothing to special.

How's it going?

There are plenty of greetings of the same kind,we frequently use them for close friends.😃

Synonym.

What do you say?

What's the good word?

《What's up?》

When hearing the phrase,even if we look at upward,there is nothing but the sky above us.☀

In fact,there are some Japanese students studying abroad who looked at upward with a conditioned reflex 条件反射,but it's one of greetings which we use as everyday life conversation.😃

It means that how are you? or what's happening?🙌

When using the phrase,we often abbreviate it to“Tsup?”The way of saying is free and easy.😚

“Bugs Bunny”is a popular animated cartoon.The phrase of“What's up”was frequently used in the animated cartoon as a gag.💨

When using the phrase,no one wants us to answer concretely,so we don't have to reply so seriously.😚

Synonym

What's new?

What have you been up to?

When replying to them,we do like the next.

To be continued.😁

No.25 14/03/30 08:37
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 24 《What's up?》

When replying,we do like the next.

Not much.

How are you doing?
Hi,hello.

When looking like you're in very low spirts,the phrase of“What's up?”sometimes means “What makes you bother?”☝

《What's cooking?》
It doesn't mean asking a question of“ what are you cooking?”The cook of an intransitive verb has a meaning of occur and happen in colloquial style 口語体.😃

When answering to it,we do like the next.

I'm very busy.

Not much.

《Now you're cooking!》

When being absorbed in some works or studying something,someone who happens to pass by you looks into what you do,and uses the phrase.☺

For instance,let's suppose that you'd bought a personal computer.When operating it,one of your friends pats you on the shoulder,and teases you,using the phrase.😁

The phrase has been born in the U.S.A.in the 1940s when gas spread as a fuel for households,for comparing the gas with a firewood,a gas cooker lights so instantly that they learned to cook efficiently.🍳

No.26 14/03/30 09:40
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 25 《Now you're cooking!》

Before long the phrase learned to be used in the jazz world.It means that when playing the musical instrument,its energy increases in the musical performance.The phrase spread among other people who had nothing to do with the music.🎺               
The phrase is adopted like the next in the world of rock music.“The Stones were cooking.”

《How's it going?》

The the meaning of“it”depends on.Some means nothing special,others the specific one.

Synonym

How's everything going?

When replying,we do like the next.

Great.

Not bad.

Contrary to it,when saying“How's it coming?”,there is no exceptions on the expression.The phrase indicates the specific one.I find it a little complicated.😱

《How are you making out?》

It means that it indicates the specific one altogether.

The phrase of make out means that managing to do something,or doing other thing well.👍

《How's by you?》

It means that“ how are you?”or“ what's up?”

No.27 14/03/30 18:30
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 26 《How's by you?》

Americans of German ancestry who live in the middle area of the U.S.A. use the phrase as a greeting.😃

“Wie gehts bei ihnen”is a German greeting.It's just that they said the phrase in American way.🇺

《What's eating you?》

If answering“Spaghetti”,you'll make a fool of yourself,for it means that neither asking you what you're eating nor what you want to eat.😳

The eat means that makeing someone consume,or bother.In short,the phrase means that“ what makes you be worried about?😥

《What's bugging you?》

It also means the former phrase,“ What's eating you?”

The bug is an insect,so the phrase has an image that a leaf beetle 羽虫 are flying around your face.The bug means making someone bother,or interrupting it.

“Don't bug me!”means that leave me alone,or don't bother me!”😠

《What's the story?》

It also means the same one.When looking like you're in trouble,others say you like that.😣

Synonym

What's the deal?

What's the scam?

What's the scoop?

No.28 14/04/06 07:49
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 27 【What's the story?】

The deal means a business,or agreement,the scam means a fraud 詐欺,and the scoop means an exclusive 独占記事,but the three synonyms mean the same.

《What gives?》

When poking their noses into a group of onlookers,happening to see other's trouble,or addressing a wailing person,they use the phrase.😃

Sometimes,the phrase includes an irritated feeling.It depends on a way of saying.😚

Synonym

What's the matter?
What's going on?

《Know what?》

It's an abbreviation of“What do you know?”

If someone asks us like that,a blank look is forced to come over our face,but it's all right,for no one can answer the question exactly!😱

It's just that the person spoke to us.When wanting to seize an opportunity to speak,we use the phrase.😃

Synonym

You know what?

Know something?

When answering,we only have to do frankly like the next.

No,what?

Tell me.

《Guess what?》

When starting to talk with someone,they use the phrase by way of preface.🙋

No.29 14/04/06 08:44
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 28 《Guess what?》

I'm wondering if there should be some phrases behind the what.For example,“Guess what I want to say!”like that.😚

When answering,we should do like the next.

What?

I don't know.What?
I'll bite.

《Got a minute?》

It's a conventional phrase when telling someone a trivial matter.

It has a nuance like the next.

“What I want to say takes just a minute.”

Synonym

Got a second?

Got a moment?

When answering,they do like the next.
Sure.

Yes,but only a minute.

Not right now.

Maybe later.

《I'd like a word with you.》

They use the phrase when calling out to others unobtrusively さりげなく,and starting to get right down to business.

Synonym

Could I have a word with you?

Could I talk with you for a moment?

What is it?

What's up?

Can I get back to you?

《Lend me a hand.》
It means that“Help me for a minute”
Even if translating the phrase word for word,it can make sense,I'm sure,for the English and Japanese have the same nuance.

No.30 14/04/06 19:28
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 29 《Don't tell a soul》

It means that asking someone not to tell anybody it.In short,it means a preliminary remarks of telling you an important secret,or confidential talk 内緒話.😁

Synonym

Keep this to yourself.

This is just between you and me.

When answering,it seems that we should do like the next.😃

I can keep a secret.

My lips are sealed.

When using the latter phrase they sometimes behave themselves as if they zipped their mouths close.🙅

《Do me a favor?》
When asking someone something,they use the phrase.😃

Synonym

Could I ask you a favor?

Sure.

What is it?

and so on.

《Could you spare a minute?》

It means that the next.Got a minute?

The word of spare means share.

Synonym

Do you have a minute?

Can you make some time?

May I bother you a moment?

《Are you done?》

It means that asking you whether or not you've finished your job.

Synonym

How's it took?

No.31 14/04/13 22:43
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

《All set?》

While we are used to the way of saying,if being said to us like that,we'll be apt to be confused with it.😚

It means asking a question.“Are you ready for it?”

The phrase is used before going out,asking whether or not dressing yourself,finishing putiing on makeup and so on.💄

In short,it means asking if you've finished an easy preparation for something.There is a phrase of“Ready,set,go!”It means that 位置について、用意、ドン! in Japanese.Both of the sets mean the same.😃

《Do you have a Kleenex?》

Speaking of Kleenex,it's an obvious top brand of tissue paper,so it means a question.“Do you have a tissue paper?”😃

Needless to say,the one who asked you like that wants a tissue paper.It's a typical example in which a typical brand learned to be adopted as a common noun everyday life. ☝

However,there is a hotchkiss which is a kind of a stationery.It's the name of the man who invented it.They call the hotchkiss a stapler in the U.S.A.🇺

No.32 14/04/13 23:37
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

《I appreciate it.》

Showing others our thanks is a first steps for associating with them.😃

When expressing our gratitude to others,“thank you”isn't only a phrase.There are plenty of kinds.The phrase of“I appreciate it”is a polite way of saying.☺

The word of the appreciate means recognizing a value,understanding something,or enjoying something.🐶

On the other hand,when expressing our gratitude to others,we use the phrase.

Synonym

I'll never forget this.

When answering,we do like the next.

You are welcome.

Any time.

《Much obliged》

It's an abbreviation of“I'm much obliged”It also means thank you.🙋

The word of oblige means doing a person a favor,or making someone feel happy.When it's used as the passive voice 受動態,it means thank you.

Synonym

Thanks a lot.

《I owe you one.》
A basic meaning of the owe is being indebted to other,or being in debt to other.🙏

Contrary to it,if someone tells you“You owe me one.”It means that don't forget my kindness.It's used as a joke.😁

No.33 14/04/19 20:07
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 32 《I'd be lost without you.》

The expression is the past tense of the subjunctive mood 仮定法過去.It's familiar with us.It means that I depend on you or you are always helpful.🙋

If we say the phrase with the past perfect of the subjunctive mood,it will be like the next.

I couldn't have done it without you.

When being successful in something,someone blesses us,we'll use it as a conventional one.👍

《You came through》

When asking someone something,he or she can obtain a result as you expected,or he or she can accomplish a difficult work wonderfully,the phrase will be used.🙌

It means that you've done it well! or good job!😉

When answering it,we'll do like the next.

Don't mention it.

《You made my day》

It means that you've made me feel happy today.When receiving a piece of good news,we adopt the phrase.The good news sometimes includes that someone who you hate happened to have a bitter experience.😏

Then we the Japanese also use a similar pharase in Japanese.😒

No.34 14/04/20 11:28
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 33 《You made my day》
However,we use the phrase in a casual manner when hearing something pleasant or receiving a beautiful flower.💐

In short,something makes us feel happy,we adopt the phrase.💡

《You saved the day》

The phrase is like the former one,but…

It means that you've helped me a lot.
In this case,the day doesn't always mean original one.The word means a job, lesson and so on which we should do until the day is over.😃

We use the phrase for others who are doing the work with us.In short,it's used among private relations.☝

For example,let's suppose that some people were doing a joint research project with only a single computer.Then the computer happened to break down,but one of them fixed it efficiently.💻

Then the others used the phrase for the one who fixed the computer as gratitude.☺

If wanting to show others our thankfulness more privately,we should say like the next.

You saved my life.

I'm glad I could help.🙌

No.35 14/04/20 12:52
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 34 《Good work today.》

When some people finished their work,they use the phrase each other in order to show appreciation.

Synonym

Good job today.

《That's compliment coming from you》

The compliment is often translated into a flattery,but it means that someone praises something frankly.

The phrase means like the next.

I'm happy to hear you said like that,for you are also something!

It's a tactful way of saying,for while showing others our thanks,at the same time,admiring them.

Synonym

Thank you for the compliment.

By the way,the flattery means a praise that you don't really mean.😒

If someone says“You flatter me”it means that even if it's just the flattery,I'm happy.

“Flattery will get you nowhere”means that your flattery can't get anything at all.😜

《Make up》

Speaking of a word of make up in English,what does occur to us?😁

There is an illustration in the book of 日常会話なのに辞書にのってない英語の本 like the next.

There are a robust man and a young pretty woman in front of a mirror…

No.36 14/04/20 22:55
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 35 《make up》

Two of them seem to be in the restroom.The man is powdering his face.The woman is painting her lips bright red.💄

He said to her“I want to make up with you”She responded to it, hesitating,“O…ok…”

Speaking of the word of make up,we Japanese are liable to think of the scene like that,but it has also another usage.I'm going to express it later.😁

《I apologize》

When begging someone's pardon,we often say like that. Needless to say,“I'm sorry”is also all right,but the phrase also means“too bad”so it doesn't always show others apologetic feeling.

Next phrases are perfectly the expressions of apologetic feeling.

I'm very sorry.

Forgive me.

When answering,we say like that.

It's ok.😃

《I'll never forgive myself》

It means that I ended up having made an irreparable mistake.In short,it's the most apology.Reflecting on something very much.🙇

Synonym

Can you forgive me?
Can you ever forgive me?

“No one will never forgive me”feeling a pang of remorse,we use them.🙏

No.37 14/04/27 10:48
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 36 《I didn't mean to.》

It means that I didn't mean any harm.The phrase is usually used after other ones like the next,“I'm sorry,but”or“I apologize,but”

Synonym

I didn't mean it.

《I let you down》

The phrase may be familiar with us,for it's used in one of songs of The Beatles.Its title is『Don't let me down.』 🎵

It means that I'm afraid you're disappointed with me.🙏

The phrase is also usually adopted after“I'm sorry”

《I'll make it up to you.》

The phrase has various meanings,but in this case,it means compensating for something.In short,it means making up for something.🙏

When trying to make someone feel happy,the phrase is used.For example,if happening to forget having date with the other sex,we find it useful.😃

When asking someone to borrow some money,the phrase is used.💰

Synonym

How can I make up it to you?

This way of saying strengthens a feeling for apology.🙇

《I want to make up with you.》

After quarreling with other,it is used so as to be reconciled.💏

No.38 14/04/27 12:29
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 37 《I want to make up with you.》

When a couple want to get back together again,it's used.It's a typical way.☝

《Forgive and forget?》

It also used when wanting to make peace with other.😃

《Are we square?》

If misunderstanding the meaning of the square,we can't understand the phrase at all.😩

The word of square also means being too inflexible,but…

It means asking like the next.“Are we even?”

As to its typical usage,we use when paying all our debts,or splitting rate for eating and drinking,it's adopted.🍴

Let's suppose that I happened to lose or break belongings of my friend.When returning it to my friend,I substitute other thing for the belongings.Then the phrase is used.💦

《Are you seeing anyone?》

The see in the phrase means meeting with someone specific regularly.☺

To be frank with you,it means asking,“Do you have a boyfriend?”or“Do you have a girlfriend?”💑

Synonym

Are you going with anyone?

Are you going out with anyone?

How should we respond to the questions?☝

No.39 14/04/27 22:23
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 38 《Are you seeing anyone?》

Yes,I'm going out with someone.

or

Not now.

In this situation,even an American speaks in a roundabout way.🇺

As for a word or phrase which indicates an association with a specific person,see or go out with are typical.😃

A phrase of go steady is familiar with us the Javanese,but it seems to be old-fashioned.😚

《I'd like to ask you out.》

It means asking,“Will you have a date with me?”💏

Synonym

Let's go out for sushi.

How about a movie?
Would you like to have lunch sometime?
《Let's make a date.》

The phrase means asking its date and time.A promise of having a date with someone becomes specific at last.💏

《Let's play it safe.》

The phrase doesn't mean that I'm not a dangerous man,or let's keep sound company.It means that let's gather earlier.😃

While a movie starts at 8:00 pm,some people need to go a movie theater earlier,then one of them says the phrase to the others.☝

No.40 14/05/04 12:07
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 39 《Let's play it safe.》

Synonym

Let's get an early start.

Let's give ourselves a little breathing room.

《We made good time.》

Some people misunderstood the phrase like the next.

“My sweetheart said『 It've had a pleasant time.』Oh,I'm wondering if having a date with it is over.”😩

However,the phrase means that reaching earlier than be expected.🙌

When getting to a place earlier because the street wasn't congested,the phrase will be adopted.

However,the phrase of“We came at a good time”means that we got to the place exactly at the time when we'd expected.

Those expressions are complicated.When using them,I'm afraid that we find it easier to make a mistake.💦

《××○○》

× means kiss,○ hug.The phrases are usually written down in the last part of a letter.✉

The phrase are more closely than other phrases of“sincerely”or“Yours truly”💌

While even if having a date only once,they use the phrase casually,they use it for the people who aren't so friendly.😚

No.41 14/05/04 16:24
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 40 《××○○》

Therefore everyone may receive the phrase.

Synonym

Love

××××××××

《Is that it?》

As for the phrase,the more we think of it,the more we find it hard to understand it,but when being in foreign countries,it seems that we've heard the phrase so frequently in particular paying the bill when going shopping.😃

The phrase means the next one.

Is it all what you want to buy?

A phrase of“That's it”means that that's all which I mean.

Synonym

Will that be all?
All set?

When answering,like the next.

Yes,that's it.

Yes,that's all.

《Cash or charge?》
It seems that we'll be asked at a checkout counter at a store in foreign countries.

It means asking like the next.

Do you pay in cash,or do you use your credit card?

The“charge”means that purchasing goods with the credit card.

Synonym

How will you be paying?

With cash.

Charge.

《Plastic?》

When being asked like that,almost all of the Javanese seem to be stunned.It means…

No.42 14/05/04 22:21
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 41 《Plastic?》

They sometimes call a credit card the plastic in the U.S.A.If saying“I'll put it on plastic.”it means that instead of using cash,I'm going to use my credit card for it.😃

《Cash,or check.》
When trying to use the credit card,a sales clerk may say to you.

The phrase means that no one can use any credit card in the shop.In a proprietorship 個人企業 of small scale,it actually happens.😚

《Do you want a bag?》

Speaking of the bag,we the Japanese tend to think of the one made of leather,a suitcase and so on,but they also call even the one made of paper the bag.👜

Lots of the Americans are interested in recycling so much that they always carry shopping bags with them.Some of them refuse an unneeded package.The tendency also seems to spread over Japan.😃

The phrase means asking,“Do you need a bag for goods?”

Synonym

Would you like a little bag?

Do you want a sack?

《Paper or plastic?》

The phrase is frequently used at a checkout counter in a supermarket or a grocer's shop.🍆

No.43 14/05/11 11:35
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 42 【Paper or plastic ?】

The plastic bag is made of polyester.I'm wondering if it's the one in a convenience store or supermarket in Japan.🏪

When answering,it seems that we should do like the next.
Paper,please.

Plastic,please.

【Can I see your driver's license?】

When trying to buy a liquor or cigarette,some people are apt to show their driver's licenses.🚬

The driver's license is synonym with its identification card in the U.S.A. While,a passport,or international driver's license are all right,but Japanese driver's license isn't there then.🚗

American laws are strict for minorities in relation to sales of the liquor and cigarette.In general,we the Japanese look younger,even being 30s,they doubt whether or not we are minorities.🍺

Some shops put labels on their walls like the next.

If you look under 30s,please indicate your identification card.😃

Synonym

Can I see your ID?
Can I see some identification?

By the way,there is still a little space.I find it wasteful.💧

No.44 14/05/11 12:51
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 43 【Can I see your driver's license?】

When trying to pay with a 100 dollar bill,almost all of the people sometimes have to indicate their IDs,for when buying something,few people pay with a large bill like that.😲

By the way,when asking“How are you?”its answers aren't always“I'm fine.”“Good”nor“Great” 😚

【Not so much.】

When asking like“What's new?”“What's up?”or“What are you doing?”they sometimes answer like that.😃

When asking,the interrogative of the what is used,the phrase is used.It means nothing special.

Contrary to it,when asking,other interrogative of how is used,the phrase is never adopted.It makes no sense as a response.

【Alive and kicking.】

When asking“How are you?”or“How's it going?”,the phrase is adopted.The phrase responds to an interrogative sentence in which the interrogative of how is used.

It means fine.If translating the phrase literally,having full energy,or being active.⤴

The phrase has an image as if a fresh lobster jumped all over the place.⤴⤴

No.45 14/05/18 10:42
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 44 I made a mistake in the last response.😳

❌『Not so much』

⭕『Not much』

I'm sorry for it.💦
To return to my main topic,I'm going to continue this thread.😃

【Alive and kicking】

Actually they can frequently see the phrase on the signboard of a fish shop.🐡

【Still hanging there】

If translating the phrase literally,it means that it hasn't fallen yet.😚

When asking,“How's it going?”they sometimes seem to answer half-jokingly like that.🙋

It means that it's not so bad,I'm wondering.

Synonym

Just surviving.

By the way,while I love English,to my sorrow,I'm not well versed in English phrase,I'm especially poor in the phrase which English native speakers often use.😥

When translating the phrase into the Japanese,the trouble is that I have few English vocabularies,so I'm afraid I can't express difference among the phrases in English very well.😳

However,I'm going to continue.If someone asks me“How's it going?”I'll respod to it.☝

『Still hanging there.』👍

No.46 14/05/18 11:50
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 45 【Like always】

When asking“How're thing?”or“How's life?”they sometimes use the phrase.😃

It means that anything special hasn't happened.

Synonym

About the same.

【So-so】

When answering for an interrogative sentence in which 『how』is used,the phrase is adopted.

It means that neither it's good nor bad.It's easy to adopt for us Japanese,but if using the phrase for all the questions,they may make fun of us.😫

Synonym

Well,so-so.

Ok,I guess.

I'm just so-so.

【Pretty good!】

While they seem to use the phrase frequently,we don't have to mind the phrase of pretty so much.😃

They use the pretty so often in colloquial expressions as adverb,but we need not be worried about it.🙆

When answering for“Thank you.”it's not always“you are welcome.”😚

【My pleasure】

It's one of conventional phrases for“Thanks.”or“Thank you.”

The phrase seems to have nuance that the one is happy,for it could assist the other.🙌

Synonym

The pleasure was mine.

You are welcome.

No.47 14/05/18 18:08
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 46 【Don't mention it】

It's a casual answer for thanks.It's also similar to“You're welcome”    

【No sweat】

It means that it's so easy that the one wasn't even in a sweat at all.They use the phrase both for“Thank you.”and“I'm sorry.”

Synonym

No problem.

That's OK.

Not at all.

【It doesn't matter.】

It's a response to an apology.In short,the phrase is used for“I'm sorry.”

【When someone asks something whether or not they accept it,then they'll answer like that.】

『Yup.』

It's an informal way of saying to yes.When someone addresses you or asks a question you,they use the phrase.When chiming in 相槌を打つ what they said,the phrase is used.😃

They sometimes spell the word like that.“Yep.”🙆

Synonym                Yeah                 
『Nope.』

It's an informal way of saying to no.

Synonym

Nah.

『Right-oh.』

It's an English slang which has been derived from “right.”They use the phrase like“Yes.”or“All right.”

Synonym

All rightie.

No.48 14/05/18 22:16
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 47 【When someone asks them whether or not they accept it,they'll answer like that.】

《Okey-dokey.》

It's a transformation of OK.

Synonym

Okey-doke.

《Ditto》

It means me too.In a movie,one of a couple said“I love you”to the other, and the other also said“Ditto.”💏

It originally means a mark omits same words,numbers in a sentence,or list.

Synonym

Ditto that.

《Roger.》

It used to be a term for wireless.After World War Ⅱ,the word has also spread over the people who weren't professional soldiers.👮

Synonym

Roger Wilco.

10ー4

The wilco is an abbreviation of will comply.It means accepting.😉

《Gotcha.》

It's an abbreviation of I got you.It's a very casual answer.It means that the one can understand what the other say.🙆

Synonym

Got it.

《You got it.》

When they ask something for the front desk in a hotel,for the staff in a gas station,or a waitress in a restaurant.the others will answer like that.

The others seem that each of them says“I got it”,but…

No.49 14/05/25 11:33
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 48 【When someone asks them whether or not they accept it,they'll ask answer like that.】

《You got it.》

In short,the phrase has nuance that I'm going to do it for you.Please leave it to me.Don't be worried about it.🙋

《Why not?》

If translating the phrase literally,“Why do you refuse to do it?”

However,it means“All right.”or“Of course,I'll do”🙋

However,it depends on.It sometimes means that asking,“why do you reject it?”😥

For example,when someone tells them it can't go with them,they ask it“Why not?”😃

《Do I ever.》

The ever emphasizes“I do.”

The phrase means giving its ready consent.👍

For instance,if someone asks them like,“Do you like rock music?”It answers,“Do I ever.”🎵

Synonym

Am I ever.

In this case,when asking,“Are you happy?”the phrase is used.🙌

《I'm OK.》

The phrase is seemingly easy to understand,but unexpectedly is hardly distinguishable.I'm wondering if it means accepting or rejecting.😚

The phrase means no thank you.

No.50 14/05/25 12:15
遊び人0 ( 50代 ♂ )

>> 49 【Warning!】

While I love English,I'm non native English speaker.My English takes after saying myself in English,so even if I made a mistake,I've ended up not being able to acknowledge it.😩

Needless to say,I've done my best in order to express decent sentences,but no one is perfect,in addition,I'm especially careless and thoughtless…😳

Therefore,please judge whether or not my English is correct for yourself.🙏

【When someone asks them whether or not they can accept it,they seem to answer like the next.】

《I'm OK.》

For example,when asking,“How about coffee?”if they don't feel like drinking the coffee,they'll answer,“No,I'm OK.”☕

If the answer is just“Ok”it means they want to drink.The phrase resembles Japanese phrase,いいです☕

《Not likely.》

It has varied nuance every case,but means basically no.🙅

《Not really.》

It has also a variety of nuance,according to situations,contents of questions,or ways of answering questions.It seems to be unclear.😚

• << 51 【Continuation of the last response of mine.】                  《Not really.》 The phrase is used in varied case.In one case,while it's in an indirect way, indicating a refusal definitely. In other case,the refusal itself is unclear. For example,when someone asks one of them of the opposite sex,“Would you like go out tonight?”if the phrase is used,it will mean a clear refusal.🙅 On the other hand,when asking,“Are you busy?”if the phrase is used,what it means that it's unclear whether or not it's busy.😚 If someone asks me whether or not I understand the phrase clearly,I'm not sure of it.Should I use the phrase?I'm wondering.🙀 【When someone asks them a favor,they may answer like the next.】 《Name it.》 When someone says them“Can I ask you a favor?”they may reply like that.It means that please show them its request.😃 The name means showing someone something. Synonym You name it.
投稿順
新着順
主のみ
付箋
このスレに返信する

つぶやき掲示板のスレ一覧

日常のつぶやきはこちらで。日々の中で感じた事をポツリとつぶやいてみませんか❓

• レス新
  • 人気
  • スレ新
  • レス少
新しくスレを作成する